Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Old eyes and home defense.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    It has occurred to me in home defense, I wouldnt have time to don glasses.
    I'm not sure what your setup is, but every night right before I go to bed I make damned sure both my glasses and my pistol are in the same exact spot they're supposed to be.

I can put my glasses on within 2-3 seconds of becoming awake in pitch black darkness.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I'm not sure what your setup is, but every night right before I go to bed I make damned sure both my glasses and my pistol are in the same exact spot they're supposed to be.

I can put my glasses on within 2-3 seconds of becoming awake in pitch black darkness.
    Same here, phone too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Blues,

A couple Customs guys showed up one year and one had just transferred to AZ from the NYC area. He was one of the fellows who insisted he didn't need to aim at close quarters. In an exercise that required engaging 3 targets from 3-5 yards and barely visible in ambient light, he missed all six shots firing from a low crouch position. He was kind of embarrassed after the brag but I encouraged him to learn from it.

Dave
    Once I tried to learn shooting from the low crouch position as was taught to FBI agents. No success. My teacher, though, was great. He had the ability to hit cans in the air with a sling shot. He could shoot skeet from the hip. He was an expert stunt shooter. The man had fired a train load of handgun ammo. I wondered just how many folks had mastered this trick.

Site Supporter
    When my eyes started going bad I changed from liking all black sights to loving front sight with bright color and a wide rear notch. My favorite rear sight for autos is the 10-8; they come in different rear sight widths. Currently I like the .140 rear. They also come in .156. I think heinie sights also are available with wide rear notches. I no longer want tritium night sights. After you fire at night you can’t see them anymore not to mention they don’t last forever ( nothing does) my sight alignment comes from my grip. The flash sight picture verifies my alignment. today I much prefer a grip laser and a white light to tritium sight. - getting back to the original post- I have been thinking about adding dovetail sights to a Smith and Wesson model 64. It’s funny. It’s like we came full circle. We used to take a colt government 191 to a gunsmith to add sights and trigger work. Now I’m thinking of doing it to a S&w model 64. I was searching gun broker for a police trade in/ cheap model 64. I realized that by the time I had everything done to a model 64 I might as well have bought a Smith & Wesson model 66 and just added a cylinder and slide rear sight or a DL rear sight. I will post my model 66-4 when I am done. Check out tiger mckee’s website. He was working on a model 66-1. He added a big dot front sight and was going to add C&S sights next. Louis Awerbuck wrote several articles in Swat magazine about about old man sights as has Erik who posts here. The cheap , fast , good solution is to put a set of crimson trace laser grips on your revolver. For low light and house hold distances if I think you will be pleasantly surprised at your hits. Bring the pistol up to eye level as normal-then Look over the sights to see the laser. I do a parallel laser zero. I do not adjust the grip laser to hit point of aim for a set range. It will be off the closer or farther you are from the sight in range. Unless you want it dedicated to house ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    My bedside pistol is a Glock 17 with Ameriglo Tritium sights, CT Laser grips and a big light on the rail.
    Asking because I haven't thought about 'til your post. I like the options here. My question is will the rail light wash-out the laser dot on the target?

With vision becoming less sharp with age, I too have found a wider rear notch coupled with a wider front sight post (with a big white dot), to be helpful.

An unavoidable but acceptable degree of sacrifice in precision occurs, while essential accuracy is maintained.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Asking because I haven't thought about 'til your post. I like the options here. My question is will the rail light wash-out the laser dot on the target?
    I had to go try it.

Yes it does wash out some, but the laser is still usable, just not as bright. I figure the light won't be on steady anyway.

I graduated from single vison to multifocal progressive lens the last time I went to the eye doc. In short this just means I cant see shit while standing in it with or without glasses. This makes me very grateful for my 3 Great Danes and mini weeny dog, he's got the ankles. If someone enters my house uninvited, I (should) will have ample time to don my eyeglasses and possibly even pants and shoes while the dogs play with their newfound chew toy. If things go sideways or the dogs have a change of heart and invite said bad guy in, I'm grabbing a M&P-15 with a T-1 set to the lowest setting I can see in a lit room in the house. At "in my house" distances, the dot, even though it blooms a lot, no glasses, gives me A zone hits all night long. A big colorful dot on the front sight and black rears are what seems to be working the best on my hand guns. I am getting a bloom with any type of glowing sight be it tritium or FO and its "just annoying" especially in low light.

I have 20/200 vision, severe atigmatism, and crystallized protein clusters stuck in the dead center of each eye.

Forget the sights, I have trouble identifying what race people are at 5 yards in broad daylight w/o glasses.

I am very careful about where I put my glasses when I`m going to sleep.

Probably need to get a spare set to keep inside the night stand.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post

I also make damn sure there is nothing beside the bed or on/in the nightstand that SHOULDN'T be there. Having to try to find my glasses with an obstacle in the way puts me in a shit mood for a while, not to mention the problems for self-defense.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List