Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Old eyes and home defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Mid-1980s. All the Federal officers who participated were carrying revolvers, loaded with 110g 38 Special +P+ rounds which seemed to be held in some contempt by most.

Dave
    I remember a short period of time where this mode of instruction (and ammo) was provided. Can't remember whether it was in NYC, (Rodman's Neck, NYPD range), or Miami, (Miami-Dade P.D. range). Pretty sure it was in South FL.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Blues,

A couple Customs guys showed up one year and one had just transferred to AZ from the NYC area. He was one of the fellows who insisted he didn't need to aim at close quarters. In an exercise that required engaging 3 targets from 3-5 yards and barely visible in ambient light, he missed all six shots firing from a low crouch position. He was kind of embarrassed after the brag but I encouraged him to learn from it.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Blues,

A couple Customs guys showed up one year and one had just transferred to AZ from the NYC area. He was one of the fellows who insisted he didn't need to aim at close quarters. In an exercise that required engaging 3 targets from 3-5 yards and barely visible in ambient light, he missed all six shots firing from a low crouch position. He was kind of embarrassed after the brag but I encouraged him to learn from it.

Dave
    I trained at Marana (FLETC West) in the middle 80's but I don't believe that was where that instruction was received. (Seth Nadel was running the range back then.)

I think it was one of our in-house range officers back in the middle to late 80's. And I think it may have only been at one or two quarterly quals / instruction sessions.

ETA:

P.S. I always use my sights.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I trained at Marana (FLETC West) in the middle 80's but I don't believe that was where that instruction was received. (Seth Nadel was running the range back then.)
    I used to shoot competition (IPSC & Steel Combat Matches) at Pima Pistol Club with Seth. We first met at Bruce Nelson's place after he moved to Tucson from Calif.

In '85 or '86 I attended a two week officer survival course put on by a guest instructor from the FLETC in Georgia. To show their cooperation with the locals the Feds invited a few firearms instructors to attend along with the regular Customs Class. Myself (Pima County Sheriff's Dept.) and one of the instructors from the Tucson Police Dept. took part.

Dave

Getting back to the OP for a sec, I’m in the process of transitioning what I can to XS big dots, since my vision is crappy. Glocks are easy, and I’ve even got a project for dovetailing up a Springfield Mil-Spec in the hopper, because, I can’t quit the 1911.

Incidentally, vision is why I’m getting away from the G42 and going LCR for low-profile (they both have XS sights); the main advantage of the mini-glocks, IMHO, is that they’re way easier to shoot at distance, and that remains true for me. However, despite retaining the ability to punch B8 paper at the end of the range with a G42, I’ve lost the real-world ability to determine "iphone" from "Saturday night special" at those distances, so I may as well take the more effective projectile for "inside the length of an SUV" duty.

There’s something to be said for revolvers when your detail vision starts to go for good.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Not a target sight but should be good for home defense ranges; https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx...93754&CAT=8373

Site Supporter
    It's funny the way things work out sometimes. A few years back, the retina in my right (dominant) eye detached. My vision has always been weird; my left eye was close to 20/20 but my right got as bad as 20/400. After the surgery to re-attach the retina, my vision in that eye actually improved to the point where I can see the front sight fairly sharply without glasses. My nightstand gun is an M&P40 mounting a TLR1 and the sight picture is pretty good with no glasses and the light on.

I quit playing the corrective lens game. My thoughts are, glasses may become dislodged and putting in contacts isnt an option.

So my bedside and carry guns host red dots. I can see the dot in all conditions, with or without corrective lenses.

Consistent low to mid 80's B8's at 25 yds without corrective lenses and I'm good.

Of course, pistols and rifle related...not revolvers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    I quit playing the corrective lens game. My thoughts are, glasses may become dislodged and putting in contacts isnt an option.

So my bedside and carry guns host red dots. I can see the dot in all conditions, with or without corrective lenses.
    How well can you see the dot? I have significant myopia and without corrective lenses the dot (pistol or rifle) is a diffuse red blob.

But your thought gives me an idea: I need to see how far I can shoot, and to what degree of accuracy, using iron and RDS sighted pistols without my vision correction.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-27-2020 at 11:24 AM.

My nightstand gun is a HK P30L with an RMR, night sights, and a Surefire light attached. I've been shooting regularly with a red dot for about 4 years now and am confident that I can find the dot reliably without a problem. If you're not, I think a green CTC laser is the way to go.
    Real guns have hammers.

User Tag List