Thread: VA code and saps

VA code and saps

So if I am interpreting this properly, does this mean one can carry a sap on their person in Virginia? Saps are separate from blackjacks and thus not mentioned in text...

§ 18.2-308. Carrying concealed weapons; exceptions; penalty.
    A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The code itself: https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/18.2-308/

It depends on whether any of the terms are defined. If not, they are left open to interpretation and you can be certain that they will be defined in the broadest way to the detriment of the carrier.

(v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection,
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter

VA code and saps

The specific mention of blackjack as well as the language about weapons of like kind would clearly prohibit a sap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Copy all and thank you for the info. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge people are willing to share on this board!

User Tag List