Thread: RDS follow up - mainly single stack 1911

RDS follow up - mainly single stack 1911

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....you-use-an-RMR

following up to the above thread...

in 2016... I had L&M Precision machine a G19 slide for a Gen 1 RMR. I did not put the time behind it and was having issues with finding the dot. Sold most of the components but kept the slide.

New interest in the 507C brought this back to life and I much prefer the reticle options with my 57+ year old eyes. I did put tall irons on and also Cold Bore Customs trimmed some excess for my big hand to fit better...

from this

to this

Anyway.... one outing with this has renewed my interest in keeping with RDS on a handgun...... which leads me to my well used duty carry piece, Springer MCOP.

has anyone went RDS in single stack and wished they had not?

Experiences with companies that do this machine work or anything that worth noting?

I am aware that a duty holster with levels of retention might be an issue.

I would prefer back up irons but DO NOT WANT a TRIJICON plate. Dont want night sights. My thoughts are plain black back up sights.

I also dont like plates that add excessive height to the RDS..... I would prefer it mount straight to the slide or very low adapter plate.

I really like the Nighthawk IOS mounting concept, but I am not sure if they will do it to my piece. I like the idea of switching from irons to RDS with a plate change.

I wonder with constant technology advancements.... if I drag my feet a while longer better options will start to appear. I am no hurry with this idea and not going to do it if I cannot find a duty holster.

One might add, just buy a Staccato P. I am on the top end of my career currently at 30 years with still some left.... not sure I want to invest $2G in a new piece and associated gear. I mainly drive a desk and there is nothing wrong with my single stack when I am in the process of thinning the herd.

thanks in advance
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    I have a SA 1911 Range Officer 9mm 5 inch. To test the RDS waters (again, I used to shoot Open), I bought a slide specially milled for a Leupold DPP, another barrel, and all parts to complete a 9mm 5 inch upper. I actually got all these parts pretty cheap and had the DPP. I have been swapping the 1911 top end back and forth. Has been running fine on my reloads - 115FMJs over WSF or N320.

I now have this plus a CZ P10F OR with SRO and a S&W M&P 5 inch Gen 1 CORE with SRO (40 to 9 conversion).

I’ve always preferred single stack 1911 guns and recently found that 9mm is The Way. I picked up a lightweight Ruger Commander size 9mm this year, it’s been perfect. If it had a rail... And a way to attach a RDS because my 61 year old eyes see them better... I recently added a Glock 19 MOS with a 507c, I can shoot it better than my non-RDS guns already but its like hugging your sister.

Kimber makes the KHX OR but it’s heavy and Kimber. If STI makes a DUO Commander size Staccato R my credit card is going to take a beating.

I own two 1911's with MRDS. Sadly they were utilize the Trijicon plate. I'd prefer the Nighthawk or Wilson offering. Right now I don't think NH will take guns to put the IOS on. I do think Wilson will mod other 1911s with their True Zero system. Which will give you a plain black rear sight.

The Wilson I own has the work done by ATEI which they did a good job. The NH I own with it was done in house by NH. Fine job done by them as well. I really love both guns with the SRO on them, makes them a pleasure to shoot. Pics are a little old both sport SRO's 2.5MOA. The Wilson is .45 and the NH is 9mm.

Chambers Custom, along with authorized suppliers, does rmr milling. The plate has a back up sight in front of the rmr. Due to how low the milking is done and the angles they work with, your standard front sight will work with the back up irons.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

the Chambers Custom set up is pretty cool. There may not be a Level 2 or 3 duty holster for that option.

It looks low....I wish there was a full gun image.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

You can’t install the rmr without a plate. The outside-to-outside measurement of the mounting screws is wider than the slide. Go with Wilson or chambers if you don’t want trijicon. Chambers will outsource the work to his associates, I believe

Nighthawk did mine and I’m happy with it. I don’t notice the night sights as I’m not focusing on the slide/sight. If it’s a NV thing, I have no experience
    Last edited by theJanitor; 01-27-2020 at 01:55 AM.

It's just my own speculation, but I suspect the forthcoming 507K with its narrower width might be the new hot ticket for 1911 slides. But I may also be wrong... I'm not a professional speculator.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    It's just my own speculation, but I suspect the forthcoming 507K with its narrower width might be the new hot ticket for 1911 slides. But I may also be wrong... I'm not a professional speculator.
    I don't suspect it will matter, except from an aesthetic perspective. The width of the mounted optic does not stick out any further than the thumb safety.

I am at the stage where I will continue to wait. The Atom 2.0 will likely be a long-term solution to the "which optic" problem and allow much greater flexibility overall. I intend to have a 1911 milled for Atom 2.0 at some point in the next 24-months, depending on how pressure testing of Atom 2.0 goes from those who adopt such things earlier than I do.

User Tag List