Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Someone is going to get banned for

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Japanese whisky but really enjoy the Nikka Coffey MALT (not the grain).
    Still haven't seen the PBR anywhere
    I've had the Coffey but don't remember it. I did like the grain but like with Yamazaki, the explosion in popularity of Japanese whiskeys in the US market has caused it to go up considerably in price. I first tried it around 2015 and it was in the mid $50 price range. Within a year or two it was $20 more. I haven't looked lately but wouldn't be surprised if it is over $100.

I really have to start buying cases of stuff I like if for no other reason than investment. I can think of at least 4 different names that were inexpensive a decade ago and now are double or triple the price and hard to find.
    Yamazaki 12, Col Taylor, Eagle Rare, Nikka malt, Laphroaig 18. All were available and relatively inexpensive just a decade ago
    Last edited by 4RNR; 03-27-2022 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I've had the Coffey but don't remember it. I did like the grain but like with Yamazaki, the explosion in popularity of Japanese whiskeys in the US market has caused it to go up considerably in price. I first tried it around 2015 and it was in the mid $50 price range. Within a year or two it was $20 more. I haven't looked lately but wouldn't be surprised if it is over $100.
    I was killing time, while a backup is running, checking prices and availability and 12YO Yamazaki is $149.99/available and 18YO is $534.99/"coming soon"

and then there's this stuff... Yamazaki 55
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I was killing time, while a backup is running, checking prices and availability and 12YO Yamazaki is $149.99/available and 18YO is $534.99/"coming soon"

and then there's this stuff... Yamazaki 55
    In 2008-10ish it was $40 here

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My first exposure to Suntory was at a classic base house party with some buddies of mine.

A few fellow NCO's decide to throw a Saturday night rager at a close buddy's place on base because his wife and two daughters were visiting grandma in Dallas for some specific 'girl time' get together and he had the place to himself.

We invite the whole crew. One of whom we'll call SGT G. SGT G is a blonde half-Hispanic no-bullshit hottie 9.0/10 bad chick. We love her because she uses her looks to get people to underestimate her all the time. She's also a Kenpo and Muay-Thai enthusiast and generally kicks ass as a Soldier. But she tends to date dudes that are, well, goobers.

Her goober de jour rolls in with her carrying a brown paper bag. In it is a 7/8ths full bottle of Suntory Yamazaki 18yr old. "My Dad brought it home from a business trip for me, it tastes weird" he said.

I was no-shit drunk when they showed up, but I knew well enough to make a bit of a scene when they started pouring that in shot glasses. I grab the bottle and it's freezing cold... goober kept it next to his Jager in the fridge. Ugh. Goober!
    I shot a stink eye at SGT G and she gave me a look of 'well he's my date so deal with it or I'll kick your ass' so I just got some ice and the closest thing I could find to proper rocks glasses in an E6's house and we poured it proper.

It was simply delicious. Outstandingly smooth, smoky up front with caramel and creamy apple-berry-fruit notes in the finish.
    My dearest friends simply didn't get it, so they either poured pepsi over it, or left them sitting around the house as they went back to their Rum & Coke or shots of Jameson.
    So I played a drunken scavenger hunt all over that house looking for the abandoned glasses of Suntory and I made it my purpose in life to enjoy every one and not leave a drop.

And to the tune of about 2/3rds of that bottle, I drank every single glass that was poured and abandoned for so much less. Video exists of me dancing and singing to a Justin Timberlake song this same night and I blame that whisky.

The following morning was when my girlfriend-now-wife saw me absolutely demolished by a hangover. She cranked up the A/C, brought me applesauce and gatorade, and otherwise left me to figure it out between the bed and the bathroom until around 1500 when I could stomach some ramen. She didn't complain, she just smugly commented 'you enjoyed enough whiskey that I knew I'd have today to myself, so I planned accordingly' or something to that effect. I've avoided going that hard ever since, because it's only getting more and more difficult as I get older.

I remember looking up the bottle post-hangover and the cheapest I could find it was $650 or so. Discovering your girlfriend is marriage material by drinking ~$400 worth of some goober's fancy whisky is a lot better than the hangover that came with it, but I'm glad for it nonetheless.

So I'll always have a soft spot for Suntory, but I'll never drink that much in one night again.

Site Supporter
    I have a Japanese bottle that I've been hording. Now, you are tempting me to open it. During the week, as tomorrow is a match (if we don't get rained out). Need to able to find the dot.

Pre pandemic I had pretty regular travel to Osaka for work(in addition to Hong Kong and Taipei). I made a point of bringing home my duty free limit every time I passed through Narita. The Coffey malt was exceptional and back in the day was only ~$30 a bottle in the airport.

Today my go-to is The Chita single grain. Get a bottle.

User Tag List