Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.45x39 any good for Home Defense?

5.45x39 any good for Home Defense?

I have a friend who only owns a Russian SGL-31 AK74 in 5.45x39, and a Glock 19. He carries the G19, but is considering switching to the 74 for home defense. I'm aware from DocGKR's work that there are no good commercial expanding 5.45 loads, but would 7N6 be a bad choice for home defense over a 9mm pistol loaded with a round from DocGKR's list?

He's asked me for advice, but I'm still deliberating on what I'd recommend. I've generally always thought "Rifle rounds > Pistol rounds", but with the lack of well-engineered duty/defense loadings for 5.45mm, does that still hold true in this case? Is a yawing 5.45 7N6 projectile still more effective than a quality 9mm projectile in terms of wound ballistics?

For some background, this person lives out in the country alone, the nearest neighbor is miles away.

Site Supporter
    A tumbling mild steel core round is not best.

I think Hornady has a load that may work best. It seems they have a V-Max in 60.

Now here’s a thought as well - those arsenal SGL series AK’s go for a ton. He could sell it and buy a quality AR.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    A tumbling mild steel core round is not best.

I think Hornady has a load that may work best. It seems they have a V-Max in 60.

Now here’s a thought as well - those arsenal SGL series AK’s go for a ton. He could sell it and buy a quality AR.
    I did mention him getting an AR. He wants to stick with an AK platform for whatever reason. He was in the military in a former-Eastern-Bloc country and says that's what he's the most experienced and comfortable with.

I've been unable to find professionally-conducted testing on the Hornady load in 5.45. I can only find dubious Youtube testing with invalid Clear Gel, and even in that it seems to underpenetrate.

I know that 7N6 5.45 isn't the best choice for home defense, but is it more effective than a quality pistol projectile?
    Last edited by GlorifiedMailman; 01-25-2020 at 09:32 PM.

5.45 sure has done nasty things to jackrabbits and coyotes in my experience. I would never feel undergunned with it.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    5.45 sure has done nasty things to jackrabbits and coyotes in my experience. I would never feel undergunned with it.
    In your house?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    I may have missed it, but did you read this: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....unding-Effects

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I may have missed it, but did you read this: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....unding-Effects
    I did, that is the basis for my knowledge of the wound ballistics of 5.45. It is, as Doc's testing shows, inferior to quality-constructed 5.56 and 7.62x39 projectiles in terms of wounding effectiveness, but right now I'm talking about how it stacks up in effectiveness vs a handgun round with a quality JHP, and how effective 7N6 is in general at incapacitating.
    Last edited by GlorifiedMailman; 01-25-2020 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    In your house?
    Nope, on the Wyoming prairie.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GlorifiedMailman View Post
    I did, that is the basis for my knowledge of the wound ballistics of 5.45. It is, as Doc's testing shows, inferior to quality-constructed 5.56 and 7.62x39 projectiles in terms of wounding effectiveness, but right now I'm talking about how it stacks up in effectiveness vs a handgun round with a quality JHP.
    I’ve never owned or used a 5.45 AK, but ... it’s a rifle, so it’d have to suck to be inferior to a 4” barreled 9mm. And you said he served in a military that issued something similar/identical to the rifle he has. Familiarity, training, and competence mean a lot. Probably more than whatever bullet actually comes out of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I’ve never owned or used a 5.45 AK, but ... it’s a rifle, so it’d have to suck to be inferior to a 4” barreled 9mm. And you said he served in a military that issued something similar/identical to the rifle he has. Familiarity, training, and competence mean a lot. Probably more than whatever bullet actually comes out of the barrel.
    Agreed. A flat shooting carbine that reliably sends out projectiles going out at around 3,000fps should be plenty good for defensive use. It would still be worth looking into the ideal cartridge but treat it like you would a handgun; if the first round does not have the desired effect on target, shoot it until it does. It is rather unfortunate just how limited the 5.45 is when it comes to loads.

User Tag List