Thread: Defensive Ammo for 43X / 365

Defensive Ammo for 43X / 365

About to go down the rabbit hole of selecting defensive ammo for my 43X and am hoping someone can save me some steps (and money). I have standardized on HST’s for my full-size pistols, but suspect that it might be a good idea to try to optimize for reliability with the 43X. I wonder if the smaller size and lighter slide might work *best* with certain bullet weights (OAL), powder charges/velocity, and bullet design (Gold Dot Vs. HST).
    So the question is, among the various Gold Dot and HST offerings, is there a particular loading that might work best in the small pistols?

It was @GJM I believe who suggested Speer GD 115 for the smaller guns. I don't recall the specifics of the reference he made, but it was to reliability I believe. Perhaps he can elaborate (I also use Federal HST 147 in my Glock 19.)

I am working through a few boxes of the Speer 115 to vet it in my G43X. So far no issues, PoI = PoA for me.

My P365's run with 147 HST just fine. When I had a G48 it gobbled everything but settled on 115 Barnes as they shot to the sights.

My 365 will not run 147 HST, and a number of others have reported the same. I probably should send my 365 back to be looked at.

There was an excellent thread some months back, with reliability info on the 365 and 43/43X/48, suggesting 115 Gold Dot was especially reliable in the small pistols, when dirty, with a compromised grip, or worn RSA. Since then, my wife and I have standardized on 115 GD in the small 9’s with complete reliability.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My P365 runs well on both HST 147 and 124 both standard pressure. It runs well on my handloads using 124gr Xtreme copper plated bullets over AA #5. I have run 700 rounds of handloads though it with out a hitch.

Site Supporter
    I must have this backwards, don't you want more recoil impulse to overcome less than optimum operating condition and wouldn't the 147 standard velocity have more of that than the 115 standard velocity? Or is this a bullet profile issue?
    I do know that flat point AE 147 will occasionally feed ramp jam in a my dirty practice 365. But 115 and 124 ammo shoot very low in my 365s so I have tried to stay away from it. I guess if the 115gr GD is highly recommended I can switch to the #8 front sight to raise the POI.
    Adam

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks guys. I knew the info was out there, just couldn’t pin it down. Scanned through the big azz EDC Game Changer thread thinking it was buried in there. I appreciate it.

User Tag List