Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What model is this?

You can find D frame Colt Detective Specials with a shroud and perhaps a 2.5” Diamondback for your adjustable sighted gun. They are getting pricey, especially the Diamondbacks. Not sure I’d mess around trying to convert the older Colts to DAO. You could also do a S&W Model 10 and a Model 15 in 2” versions, but neither will have an enclosed hammer. You could bob the hammers and make them DAO pretty easily. They would be my choice. A Ruger Speed Six and a Security Six with 2.75” barrels and spurless hammers?
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Technically, Kimber doesn't offer an adjustable sight model in DAO or snubby configuration, but I agree the K6s line-up comes closest to OP's otherwise "doesn't exist" parameters.

OP, are you in the mood for serious coin dropped on gunsmithing, or are you cool with compromise and if so what's your hierarchy of requirements?

Bottom line thus far is Kimber does get you nearest.
    Im in the process of looking at older models and gunsmithing now. Im going to rule out the kimbers as I like to have options. Seems like its down to Smiths and Colts. Ill b hitting a lgs that specializes in older guns tomorrow.
    AIWB holsters seem to be a problem however. My experience is I need a foam pad and something to push the grip in. That combo and for anything besides a j frame is elusive.
    Last edited by UNK; 01-27-2020 at 11:57 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    You can find D frame Colt Detective Specials with a shroud and perhaps a 2.5” Diamondback for your adjustable sighted gun. They are getting pricey, especially the Diamondbacks. Not sure I’d mess around trying to convert the older Colts to DAO. You could also do a S&W Model 10 and a Model 15 in 2” versions, but neither will have an enclosed hammer. You could bob the hammers and make them DAO pretty easily. They would be my choice. A Ruger Speed Six and a Security Six with 2.75” barrels and spurless hammers?
    Ive been looking at the colts and S&W online. It seems if you’re patient and dont want a collectors piece u can get something pretty reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    AIWB holsters seem to be a problem however. … That combo and for anything besides a j frame is elusive.
    Smith K & L are in the AIWB list at JMCK.

I had the opportunity to handle a model 12 snubby and the original Colt Cobra. Its a shame S&W didnt make a model of the same size as the Cobra. It seemed perfect to me. Im going to have to give this some more thought. Reading the comments here about the difficulty of working on a Cobra didnt give me a full understanding of how difficult they are to service which I now have. I think I need to find a model 12 with the rounded butt combat grips to handle if not shoot.
    Thanks for all the input.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I had the opportunity to handle a model 12 snubby and the original Colt Cobra. Its a shame S&W didnt make a model of the same size as the Cobra. It seemed perfect to me. Im going to have to give this some more thought. Reading the comments here about the difficulty of working on a Cobra didnt give me a full understanding of how difficult they are to service which I now have. I think I need to find a model 12 with the rounded butt combat grips to handle if not shoot.
    Thanks for all the input.
    Smith made a Model 73 “C” frame six shot .38 that was intended to compete with the Colt D frame in the early ‘70s. Less than twenty exist of the 5000 produced.
    It was essentially a J frame with a K cylinder fitted to it.
    It was deemed to be unsafe and all but a few were destroyed.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 01-29-2020 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Smith made a couple of prototypes of a “C” frame six shot .38 that was intended to compete with the Colt D frame in the early ‘70s.
    That would be perfect. I wonder how the 2017 Colt Cobra is doing sales wise. I am tempted to go look at the Rock Island .38 considering some reviews I have read.

Am I nuts, or do I remember 3” J frames back in the 90s with lugged barrels and a choice between fixed and adjustable sights? Only five shots, but it’s close.

Personally, I think it’s a mistake for you to not consider the Kimber. I have a 3” DA, and the fixed sights are very nice.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Am I nuts, or do I remember 3” J frames back in the 90s with lugged barrels and a choice between fixed and adjustable sights?
    In the 90's Smith and Wesson made limited runs of the 36 and 60 with 3 inch barrels and adjustable sights. I think the runs were between 500 and 1500 pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by penates View Post
    In the 90's Smith and Wesson made limited runs of the 36 and 60 with 3 inch barrels and adjustable sights. I think the runs were between 500 and 1500 pieces.
    Correct; but the "Target" Model 60 remains in production, in standard and Pro Series varieties; J-frame, .357 rated, 3" lugged barrel, adjustable sights.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

User Tag List