Thread: More Legos

More Legos

As I have tried different combinations of parts and pieces in search of the perfect EDC light, I just put this one together that really checks all of the EDC light boxes for me;

Functionally, it does all I want it to do;

• Provides full output (1,000+ lumens/12,000+ candela) every time and without fail when I activate the light
    • Has momentary-only function of the tailcap switch
    • Good ergonomics
    • Carries comfortably either clipped to the inside of a pants pocket or riding in a belt carrier
    • Non-intrusive step-down mode to 200 lumens provides extended runtime

Here is the list of the pieces used to put this one together;

Functionally, a press of the tailcap switch activates the light on full power, releasing the switch turns it off. If the button is held for more than eight seconds, the light drops into low mode (200 lumens). This actually works well for the typical defensive situation where the light is used for short bursts. If more than eight seconds of full output is required, a quick blip of the switch brings it back on full power.

The advantage of the step-down operation is nicely leveraged by the twisty tailcap. If the light is needed for other purposes where constant-on operation is preferred, simply twist the cap tight to the body and it will stay on at 200 lumens, which is perfect for administrative and/or general use purposes. The Surefire twisty tailcap truly leverages the mode of operation of the Bodyguard head better IMO than a clicky switch.

Through my EDC experimentation I found that carrying such a capable light in a belt carrier provides the ultimate in comfort and accessibility. It turns out that this light carries perfectly in the Kytex horizontal holster;

The Bodyguard head is 1-inch OD, the same as the SF 6P body the carrier is designed for. The 2-way long clip holds the light securely in the carrier, and the light/carrier combo rides unnoticed (by me or others) on my belt at the 11 o'clock position.

Finally, I inherited an old NovaTac EDC 120-T light (now HDS Systems) that I spent some time getting back into reliable operation. This involved disassembly and cleaning of electrical contacts, as well as running the light on a 16340 IMR cell. Though it can run on a CR123A, it operates much more reliably on the higher voltage the 16340 cell provides. Even thought the 120-lumen maximum output is archaic by today's standard, it is entirely adequate for administrative and utilitarian tasks. The UI of the NovaTac is truly superb and these lights are renown for the beating and abuse they can take, so it has now found a permanent home riding in the bottom of my front pants pocket;

Have light(s), will travel!

Kewl

A few Q's

Is that a single cell or double cell e-body?

Are you comfortable using rechargeables on a tactical type self-defense light? Referencing their often abrupt shut off without any warning.

Have you worked with SureFire EDC 1T and 2T flashlights?
    I find the 1t outstanding in size and output.

The 200 lumen step down with that candela is awful bright for general use I would think. However I wish SureFire offered low outputs for the bodyguard and the 1T or 2T in the 30 to 50 lumen range for general use.

I will likely buy a bodyguard in the near future..... But right now the 1t is my go-to and probably will end up with several of those.

Thanks in advance

Site Supporter
    The nice thing about using rechargeable cells is that there is never any reason to have a cell with less than 80% charge in your light. Li-Ion and NiMH cells do not develop memory like the older NiCad cells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Horizontal at 11:00 is the absolute best place for an EDC light.
    Too bad it's also the best for something like a Clinch Pick or Reloads, and creates a bulge under a cover shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Horizontal at 11:00 is the absolute best place for an EDC light.
    Too bad it's also the best for something like a Clinch Pick or Reloads, and creates a bulge under a cover shirt.
    So that's an absolute maybe.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Is that a single cell or double cell e-body?
    That is a 2-cell body. It can hold either a pair of CR123A batteries or the single 16650 cell, either of which will power the Bodyguard head.

Are you comfortable using rechargeables on a tactical type self-defense light? Referencing their often abrupt shut off without any warning.
    That is not universally true of using protected cells. While some lights will run flat out with a sudden shut down (usually a minute or two), others will exhibit a long, gradual decline in output before the battery protection circuit cuts in. I have found that the Bodyguard light will not go into high mode as the cell becomes too depleted, but will run in low mode at 200 lumens for quite some time.

Have you worked with SureFire EDC 1T and 2T flashlights? I find the 1t outstanding in size and output.
    I have not, but I know they are excellent lights. I can run the same Bodyguard head on a 1CR123 body (shown on the left below), obviously taking a hit in runtime (not output) due the smaller cell;

The 200 lumen step down with that candela is awful bright for general use I would think.
    Thus the NovaTac in my pocket. It's 120 lumens when turned on, then a double-click to a mid setting of about 50 lumens and a triple-click to a low of around 5. I have found it to be very useful for a general use role. The Malkoff-Surefire Lego is intended solely as a defensive light or if more light than the NovaTac can provide is needed.

I have found carrying two lights as above is pretty easy and non-infringing on my comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    ...and creates a bulge under a cover shirt.
    For those of us with a bit of beltline overhang, it conceals nicely. ;-/

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    For those of us with a bit of beltline overhang, it conceals nicely. ;-/
    I worked too hard losing my overhang... now I just deal with the less convenient pocket carry.

User Tag List