Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance with a PMM Glock comp?

Maintenance with a PMM Glock comp?

I’ve been toying with the idea of putting a comp on my 19.5 MOS that wears a RMR - it has turned into my experimental 9mm. The Parker Mountain Machine one seems to be well regarded.

How do you maintain a gun with one of these mounted? It sounds like the comp is torqued and timed. Simply lock back the slide and clean as best you can, and tear it down rarely?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Pretty much, yeah. But you can still remove the slide and clean everything almost as normal... The front of the slide interior is hard to get to but you can spray it out.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Pretty much, yeah. But you can still remove the slide and clean everything almost as normal... The front of the slide interior is hard to get to but you can spray it out.
    Thanks! Is removing the comp for occasional heavier cleaning a thing?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Thanks! Is removing the comp for occasional heavier cleaning a thing?
    Here's the unvarnished truth about pistol comps... They can be a pain in the ass to secure.
    Regardless of the design, look around and you will see people who struggle to keep them attached. Plenty of people claim to have no issues, and I suspect that a large part of that has to do with the proper prepping and execution of whatever thread-locking medium and mechanical means their comp requires, but many others have repeated failures.
    The PPM comp uses shims and Rocksett to secure itself. On paper that should be a pretty bomb-proof method but I've still seen people with one report their comp won't stay put.
    My advice would be that if you get properly installed and it stays there, don't fuck with it.
    You're going to have to soak it in water for up to 24hrs just to remove it and then after reinstalling it you will be back to wondering if it will stay there after your next range session. No matter how secure it feels at home you won't really know until you use it in an extended shooting session... It needs to get hot and worked hard to be 100% sure. And even then it needs to be rechecked regularly, just like any piece of equipment.
    Whatever small amount of powder and such that may remain clinging in the nooks and crannies just isn't worth the hassle of removing and reinstalling the Comp. That's my personal experience plus observations of other's issues, for what that's worth, YMMV.

I haven’t had any problems securing KKM, Agency, or PMM.

+1 on the advice to remove the comp as infrequently as possible.

If you find that you will be removing the comp often, I would recommend the KKM comp. It threads on and then is secured by way of way of two set screws that index against flats machines into the barrel. I’ve actually had the flats on my personal barrels dimpled for more engagement with the set screws against the barrel.

You may also want to check out the latest Mayhem Syndicate comp system. I have no personal experience with it, but it does appear to be easy to remove, if that matters to you.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I don’t currently have a comp, but the Killer Innovations comp is supposed solve these problems and also be a more quick release system.

If I could somehow weld a comp to the barrel I would but then you could never change the sights. There's not really a reason to take it off other than that. If your OCD requires that you clean that area then just spray it with brake cleaner.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    "can spray it out"???

You speak as though brake cleaner and bore snakes are not everyone's normal mode of cleaning.....

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    "can spray it out"???

You speak as though brake cleaner and bore snakes are not everyone's normal mode of cleaning.....

pat
    I no longer have any idea what normal is...
    "lock slide, invert, bang on table" seems as likely as anything.

User Tag List