Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: “ROTD” method of shooting a PMO

Explained better than I've been able to when it got to this point. Thanks @GJM

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    You will have trouble finding it if you can't look at a target, close your eyes, draw to it, and find the sights in alignment on that target when you open your eyes at the end of the draw.

I’m noticing that a pistol mounted dot is requiring me to practice a lot more to keep my presentation tidy.

When I’m at work and manage to shoot several times a week and dry fire daily, I start thinking that I’m all about that dot life [bro]. But when I put the gun in a holster, go live life for a few days, and use that time off as a chance to start cold, I suck until I warm up a bit.

It’s to the point that I decided that I’m not ready or maybe not even going to use a dot for carry.

I find that all too often, I will work on something at the range, come home, look at PF and see something that directly applies to what I just experienced- in that order.

And here it is again. Only this time, it comes after a session in which I was working on my target-focused iron shooting. Running the P30L V3, I ran cadence drills from 15-25 yards on the (what seems relatively huge, compared to what I normally shoot at) “DHS qualification target”, just getting a flash sight picture (Trijicon HD-XR) and pressing on each recoil cycle. Kept everything in the high-value zones on that target.

I felt pretty good about the results, getting a clean score on the “DHS qualification target”- until I overlaid the “gumdrop” of my usual Gunsite ‘Option targets’ on the impact zones. Then my smugness faded pretty quickly. It might have been good enough for a “DHS qualification” but not for a Cooper Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I’m noticing that a pistol mounted dot is requiring me to practice a lot more to keep my presentation tidy.

When I’m at work and manage to shoot several times a week and dry fire daily, I start thinking that I’m all about that dot life [bro]. But when I put the gun in a holster, go live life for a few days, and use that time off as a chance to start cold, I suck until I warm up a bit.

It’s to the point that I decided that I’m not ready or maybe not even going to use a dot for carry.
    I bet your presentation is equally tidy with irons as a dot, it is just that the dot is binary as in present or absent, where misalignment of the irons is more subtle.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I bet your presentation is equally tidy with irons as a dot, it is just that the dot is binary as in present or absent, where misalignment of the irons is more subtle.

For sure.

It’s just a lot easier for me clean up a slightly misaligned set of irons than it is to find something that’s not there.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    For sure.

It’s just a lot easier for me clean up a slightly misaligned set of irons than it is to find something that’s not there.
    With a dot, just use your imagination.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My first dot ever will be here this weekend. Rmr on my 2.0C milled and finished by Maple Leaf. M2, you’re scaring me that it’s going to be super hard to get used to. I plan to dry fire the crap out of it starting soon.

Thanks for the info George.

FWIW, this is what I got today, on the “DHS” target, applying GJM’s principles at 15-25 yards with irons (new P30L, with a GG SRT kit and Trijicon HD-XR’s I installed on the counter of my LGS while the transfer paperwork was processed). I get better results with the dot (VP9L), somewhat less of a vertical displacement, with tighter groups, but the concept certainly applies. Headshots were all at 15, body shots mostly at 25.

Still would be unacceptable on a Gunsite target. But the technique has merit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    My first dot ever will be here this weekend. Rmr on my 2.0C milled and finished by Maple Leaf. M2, you’re scaring me that it’s going to be super hard to get used to. I plan to dry fire the crap out of it starting soon.

Thanks for the info George.
    I certainly do not qualify as an expert on the subject, and am only an average shooter.

I have spent a lot of time over the past year using and observing the use of dots on pistols.

In my experience, the ones that have the most trouble learning to shoot a dot are the ones that overthink it. It seems that (over-analysis) is an attribute everyone who struggles with it have in common.

That describes me too T.

User Tag List