Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Researching and Applying to (FL) Agencies

Non LEO, former .mil MP, never really worked the road though. I've inquired about getting on the job with multiple deputies from Citrus County. Similar to yourself I can't afford to go without pay while going through academy. I've been told FSP, FWC, and Tampa are the only ones paying during academy. Otherwise sponsorship is rare. I haven't researched that myself but have heard that from around 5 deputies frim Citrus.

The impression I've been left with every single time is that citrus is dying for people, and losing people to other agencies fast because they don't pay as well. But those who stay get to move up because of it. I met the head of the county's major crimes unit when I bought a safe from him off FB. He's only been in the department 10 years, is head of major crimes and a member of their swat team. To me, that seems like going places fast.

Good luck.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Non LEO, former .mil MP, never really worked the road though. I've inquired about getting on the job with multiple deputies from Citrus County. Similar to yourself I can't afford to go without pay while going through academy. I've been told FSP, FWC, and Tampa are the only ones paying during academy. Otherwise sponsorship is rare. I haven't researched that myself but have heard that from around 5 deputies frim Citrus.

The impression I've been left with every single time is that citrus is dying for people, and losing people to other agencies fast because they don't pay as well. But those who stay get to move up because of it. I met the head of the county's major crimes unit when I bought a safe from him off FB. He's only been in the department 10 years, is head of major crimes and a member of their swat team. To me, that seems like going places fast.

Good luck.

-Cory
    I was a cop, in FL, for about 7 years. I was a self sponsor. I knew VERY FEW sponsored recruits. Pretty much everyone pays to go to the academy, then pays to take the state exam, then applies at a BUNCH of agencies....... all of which have a giant stack of applications with those same qualifications and rifle through them looking for the ones that have something ON TOP of that like college, military, a relative at the agency (crappy but true). Back when I first got in there were a couple ways to do so (AFTER you self sponsored and got qualified) - work the jail or work for free. A lot of sheriff's departments like LE certified folks in their jail and will pull from those guys when patrol positions open up. The other way is to volunteer as a reserve (for free), when a spot opens up, you'll already be a "known" around that agency.

My best advice, you're gonna hate it - move to Kansas! There are no self sponsorships (that I am aware of). EVERYONE is hired, then PAID to go the the academy. The pay is BETTER than FL and there seems to be A LOT of openings. Seriously, if I was a young man wanting to start a career in LE, I would be getting up here NOW.

Unless you're a liberal, then stay yer @ in FL, we don't like yer kind round here
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JATA View Post
    I was a cop, in FL, for about 7 years. I was a self sponsor. I knew VERY FEW sponsored recruits. Pretty much everyone pays to go to the academy, then pays to take the state exam, then applies at a BUNCH of agencies....... all of which have a giant stack of applications with those same qualifications and rifle through them looking for the ones that have something ON TOP of that like college, military, a relative at the agency (crappy but true). Back when I first got in there were a couple ways to do so (AFTER you self sponsored and got qualified) - work the jail or work for free. A lot of sheriff's departments like LE certified folks in their jail and will pull from those guys when patrol positions open up. The other way is to volunteer as a reserve (for free), when a spot opens up, you'll already be a "known" around that agency.

My best advice, you're gonna hate it - move to Kansas! There are no self sponsorships (that I am aware of). EVERYONE is hired, then PAID to go the the academy. The pay is BETTER than FL and there seems to be A LOT of openings. Seriously, if I was a young man wanting to start a career in LE, I would be getting up here NOW.

Unless you're a liberal, then stay yer @ in FL, we don't like yer kind round here
    Good points here.

Local LE experience can be valuable but for the 1811 position do you have college or military ? Do you have any special skills like language, medical, licensed pilot, computer /IT certifications, accounting background that will make you stand out and take you from “meets minimum qualifications” to “competitive candidate?”

This leads to the question do you want an 1811 position or do you actually want to do 1811 work? The core of 1811 work is being good at “the paper chase” and being good at talking to people /interviewing.

Although there is a lot of wisdom in the old saying that it takes five years to make a good cop, 10 if he went to college, college is where you learn a lot about the paper Chase. As far as talking to people and interviewing, patrol work in local one Forssman is a good basis for this, a very under recognized venue to learn this is working in a local jail. There’s a reason many major sheriffs departments require new deputies to start out working in the jail and the soft skills you learned there have broad application.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Good points here.

Local LE experience can be valuable but for the 1811 position do you have college or military ? Do you have any special skills like language, medical, licensed pilot, computer /IT certifications, accounting background that will make you stand out and take you from “meets minimum qualifications” to “competitive candidate?”

This leads to the question do you want an 1811 position or do you actually want to do 1811 work? The core of 1811 work is being good at “the paper chase” and being good at talking to people /interviewing.

Although there is a lot of wisdom in the old saying that it takes five years to make a good cop, 10 if he went to college, college is where you learn a lot about the paper Chase. As far as talking to people and interviewing, patrol work in local one Forssman is a good basis for this, a very under recognized venue to learn this is working in a local jail. There’s a reason many major sheriffs departments require new deputies to start out working in the jail and the soft skills you learned there have broad application.
    OMG! I absolutely love that saying and will remember/reuse it for years to come.

OP - there is probably a lot of truth to what everyone is saying about patrol not being a prerequisite (or even an advantage) to become a fed. I wouldn't know, I never went federal BUT what they are saying makes a lot of sense - I can see federal agencies looking more at education than time on the street. Plus, there is one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet - how FAST time goes by once you ARE a cop. There is an age limit to applying with federal agencies and, right now (to you), it might sound like it is FOREVER away but it ain't. You become a cop, have a blast on a couple warrants, have a stroke wondering why the brass wants to see you, have a couple BBQ's with "the boys" and their fams, and then........ what the heck?!?! I'm how old?!?! You know what you really want, go after it and best of luck buddy, I hope you nail it!
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Thank you for all of your responses and feedback! I apologize I haven't been on recently. For some reason I wasn't getting updates to this thread.

To clarify, it's not that my wife requires me to be "present". She is completely on board with this decision and is something she supports (and is well aware of the hours and scheduling required). The problem we have is the way her student loans work. For them to be forgiven, she has to spend x number of years in her current career, at the same employer. Sadly, we can't leave approx. 30k on the table right now...

I know some posters had also asked about my background - I am college educated and am currently completing my master's in a related field (not Criminology). So that is what I'm hoping will act as a "hook" and separate me from other applicants when the time comes to apply for an 1811 series.

HCM, to your question, I would say that I want to do 1811 work, not just the 1811 "appeal". I realize it will require a lot of paper and people work, and can be a different environment than working a patrol shift. But, I am hoping that starting in a local agency will provide those people skills and relevant background/experience.

As far as current options go, here is where my search is at:

- Pinellas County Sheriff's Office (700 sworn LE): DEPUTY SHERIFF RECRUIT - LAW ENFORCEMENT (sponsored academy, start in patrol)
    - Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office (1100 sworn LE): Law Enforcement Deputy Trainee (sponsored academy, start in patrol)
    - Sarasota County Sheriff's Office (350 sworn LE): Law Enforcement Deputy recruit (sponsored academy, start in patrol)
    - Charlotte County Sheriff's Office (215 sworn LE): Law Enforcement Deputy Recruit (sponsored academy, start in patrol)
    - Tampa Police Department (1000 sworn LE): Seem to infrequently sponsor recruits?

I'm currently leaning more towards Pinellas or Hillsborough, as they are some of the largest departments and are the highest paying, with the exception of TPD. Consequently, they have sponsored academy spots schedule more frequently. If you have any specific feedback or experience with any of these agencies, I'd certainly appreciate it, even in a PM. Also, if I'm leaving something out, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you all for your input and guidance.

Site Supporter

Researching and Applying to (FL) Agencies

I’ve reached out to a colleague of mine who is an 1811 and used to be a HCSO deputy. I’ll be in touch if she becomes available to answer your questions about that agency.

ETA: She gave me the go ahead, and I sent you a PM with her phone number.
    Last edited by Le Français; 02-11-2020 at 04:33 PM.

Just had a quick chat with a guy I went through OCS with who has been with Hillsborough for 12 or so years now, his rank order if he were starting fresh in 2020 would be Tampa PD first, then Hillsborough and Polk Co falling ever so slightly behind Tampa. The reasons were a difference in benefits/retirement, union, and slightly better department backing for their guys.

He recommended steering clear of any agency in Pinellas (PCSO or St. P PD), using the words "dumpster fire".

No insight on Sarasota or Charlotte.

P.S.: Best thing you could ever do for a career in LE is to make sure your degree is in anything but CJ, so you're off to a good start.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I keep seeing Border Patrol thrown out as a stepping stone option to 1811 gigs, and it can't be further from the truth.

There's ~19,000-some BPAs, and most of them are actively seeking 1811 gigs, and most of them have exactly the same skills, abilities, and work history with very little opportunity to stand out from their peers. BPAs leave all the time for 1811 gigs, but that's a fraction of the number that are actively trying to get 1811 gigs. The fact that every CITP class at FLETC has a couple BPAs in it is not a good measure of CBP being a stepping stone when you consider the sheer number of them shotgunning apps to every 1811 vacancy. If being a BPA were an effective stepping stone to being an 1811, CITP classes would be chock full of them, which they're not.

You'd be much better off going local where you have a better chance of being involved in special projects or special assignments. The ONLY advantageous thing that going CBP would do for you is stop the 6c/12d clock, but make no mistake about it, anyone who gets an 1811 job coming from CBP is getting it for reasons other than they were in CBP. CBP is not a stepping stone job to 1811 gigs, and if anything hurts your chances compared to going most other routes in life.

If you want a specific station with CBP OFO but are only being offered BPA for right now, or if you eventually want to go ICE/ERO, then going BPA makes complete sense.
    For one, "most" BPA's are not seeking 1811 positions. "Most BPA's" are perfectly content staying in the shit hole they grew up in and making more income than 80% of the local population.

A couple BPA's in each CITP is a good indicator. Because it's indicative of a large portion of those seeking 1811 gigs, achieving their goals. Any agent that has been involved in prosecution, investigation, Intel, and working with HSI or ERO in the seeking out of criminal aliens, or establishing connections to or within criminal organizations, has a leg up. The Border Patrol offers lots of opportunity to have case work experience, but they don't give it to anyone. It has to be worked for pursued.

Add to that the fact that you can officially check the "speak a spanish" box when you leave the BP Academy and it starts adding up.

The only real negative to being a Border Patrol Agent is the fact that they are unusually handsome and charming. This can cause jealousy on the part of a lot of potential employers.

Thank you!

TGS, just to clarify, Tampa PD has a better retirement (not FRS), and they tend to back their officers more? Has he found HCSO to also be supportive of its deputies, or do they get micromanaged by admin?

Generally, do I need to place much stock in the FDLE statewide ratios for agencies of officer per 1,000 population? For example, the 2017 (most recently available) statewide ratio for a Sheriff's Office was 1.72 deputies per 1,000. Is it an issue that Hillsborough, Sarasota, and Charlotte (for sworn LE only) are below this mark (1.28, 1.34, and 1.43, respectively)? Or is this making mountains out of molehills?

Good to know regarding Pinellas agencies. I have found that SPPD was to be avoided like a cruise ship chock-full-o' coronavirus (too soon?) but didn't know that it also applied to PCSO. That would explain why they have been hemorrhaging in terms of officer attrition.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHuntforRedGlocktober View Post
    Thank you!

TGS, just to clarify, Tampa PD has a better retirement (not FRS), and they tend to back their officers more? Has he found HCSO to also be supportive of its deputies, or do they get micromanaged by admin?

Generally, do I need to place much stock in the FDLE statewide ratios for agencies of officer per 1,000 population? For example, the 2017 (most recently available) statewide ratio for a Sheriff's Office was 1.72 deputies per 1,000. Is it an issue that Hillsborough, Sarasota, and Charlotte (for sworn LE only) are below this mark (1.28, 1.34, and 1.43, respectively)? Or is this making mountains out of molehills?

Good to know regarding Pinellas agencies. I have found that SPPD was to be avoided like a cruise ship chock-full-o' coronavirus (too soon?) but didn't know that it also applied to PCSO. That would explain why they have been hemorrhaging in terms of officer attrition.
    Yeah, he mentioned the retirement specifically, and said it was a slight difference in management re: backing their guys. He still likes HCSO and thinks it's a good agency, don't let me give you the wrong idea.

As for the other part, I think paying attention to retention numbers is far more important and indicative of the agency than strictly officer:resident ratio. There's a bunch of other stuff that can influence that ratio that might not be apparent, like commuting workers and whatnot. If any employer is hemorrhaging (not just LE agencies), I think that's much more telling than any other metric available.

That's about all I got from him and can offer, though. Obviously very rudimentary info....hopefully somebody on the forum with 1st hand information will reach out to you if they haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    For one, "most" BPA's are not seeking 1811 positions. "Most BPA's" are perfectly content staying in the shit hole they grew up in and making more income than 80% of the local population.
    I couldn't really read much farther than this with much seriousness, because your view......respectfully....is not accounting for current staffing realities of CBP. The idea that most BPAs are happy where they are when BP loses people in droves more than any agency with exception of the Service.

I'm not sure what your experience with BP is, whether you're a current or former agent, that sort of thing, but I just don't think the views you presented in this post and your last accurately reflect 2020 as I've observed things play out from my POV. What you wrote was true for decades ago, not so much anymore.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List