Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Important climate change warning

To be fair, he did not say countries would flood by 2000, he said if not reversed by 2000 countries would flood. We are seeing more flooding among the most susceptible cities (Venice most recently). The data he used predicted a 1-7° rise in temperature over the next 30 years and the reality (1°) fits that window.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    The evidence for significant human causality in climate change is small.
    I agree that alarmists consistently overstate their cases, but alarmists are the only ones who get the headlines.

A couple years ago I looked closely at the actual historic climate data - skeptically - and calculated the probability of last century's sharp increase in temperature happening randomly at no more than 20%** (NASA, even under the current administration, says there is a 95% chance humans are contributing to climate change). Yes, there is still a chance the temperature fluctuation is part of the noise of natural cycles, but the odds are at least as against it as going all in preflop with pocket kings against pocket aces: it is not a bet you want to make...

** As a skeptic, the main potential flaw in the prediction is the reliance on proxies for temperature. But while any individual temperature proxy (like tree ring or coral growth) can have significant error, combining hundreds of corroborating proxies greatly reduces this risk.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 01-24-2020 at 12:04 PM.

All i know is I havent had to put on my parka this year, my natural gas bill is down significantly, and the snow blower I bought last winter has never been started. Im good with that.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    All i know is I havent had to put on my parka this year, my natural gas bill is down significantly, and the snow blower I bought last winter has never been started. Im good with that.
    To add to this anecdata, all I know is that despite modern firefighting ~20,000 nearby homes burned in the last 3 years -the worst fires in over a century.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I am happy the Earth is still hear with all of the predicted disasters even just in my lifetime. Ice age, killer bees, acid rain, running out of oil, polar ice caps melting and turning us into a Kevin Costner Waterworld (that movie alone could have spawned global disaster), there have been so many sure things come and go.
    Don't forget holes in the ozone from freon and styrofoam packaging!

I'm all for doing things to reduce waste and improve the environment but many of these hypocrites preaching the message have a much bigger carbon footprint than I do
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    To add to this anecdata, all I know is that despite modern firefighting ~20,000 nearby homes burned in the last 3 years -the worst fires in over a century.
    The keeper of big words AND you do your own climate research. WOWED 😯
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Don't forget holes in the ozone from freon and styrofoam packaging!

I'm all for doing things to reduce waste and improve the environment but many of these hypocrites preaching the message have a much bigger carbon footprint than I do
    Which makes it more political than anything else as SS stated. It's a shit show to be sure. Way overblown on both sides, pro and con.

We recycle and that's an expense for us. I don't burn wood anymore for heat either but I used to. My carbon footprint is pretty damn small compared to someone like Al Gore or some of these other climate change activists like Greta Thornburg. Jeezus, these activists need walk the walk if they're going to talk the talk.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Were said 20,000 homes in existence a century ago?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This is pure gold.

ETA: I just reupped another year as a subscriber just because of how amazing this is.
    Last edited by TGS; 01-24-2020 at 01:17 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Al Gore's 10K sq. ft. house hadn't been built yet. Maybe they need a really yuge fire in TN or better yet N. VA.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-24-2020 at 01:32 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List