Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Important climate change warning

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This is pure gold.

ETA: I just reupped another year as a subscriber just because of how amazing this is.
    Yup. Me too.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The EPA ruined carburetors in the US
    Did you tap that onto your screen with a stone chisel?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Did you tap that onto your screen with a stone chisel?
    I remember the old "carburetors" in use during the 60's and 70's...

Of course I have no personal first hand knowledge...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Apropos the hockey stick, this is a worthwhile 20 minutes.

If you only read the sports section when your team has won, the science will be settled that your team is undefeated.

Yes, climatologists have overstated their case and likely underestimate their uncertainty.

About 10 years ago - after climategate - two statistics professors (one from Northwestern, the other from University of Pennsylvania) reviewed the actual data and applied various techniques and ultimately determined:

"While our results agree with the climate scientists findings in some respects, our methods of estimating model uncertainty and accuracy are in sharp disagreement."

You can find plenty of sharp criticism of Mann & others, but you can also find support that there is a good chance 1998 was the warmest year up to that point and that the 2000s were the warmest decade: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1104.4002

Name:  Screenshot_2020-01-25-08-18-07-1.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  76.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Do you really think 95% of scientists have never considered the possibility that the climate can change naturally? We're not just talking about change, we're talking about what is very likely an unprecedented rate of change.

Thanks for posting this. I remember when it was first published on XKCD. Not that posting it will have much effect on this thread.
    Real guns have hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Yes, climatologists have overstated their case and likely underestimate their uncertainty.

About 10 years ago - after climategate - two statistics professors (one from Northwestern, the other from University of Pennsylvania) reviewed the actual data and applied various techniques and ultimately determined:

"While our results agree with the climate scientists findings in some respects, our methods of estimating model uncertainty and accuracy are in sharp disagreement."

You can find plenty of sharp criticism of Mann & others, but you can also find support that there is a good chance 1998 was the warmest year up to that point and that the 2000s were the warmest decade: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1104.4002
    So:

We’re not really confident our models show that an increase in concealed carry permits correlates to an increase in shootings, but we shall proclaim confidently that it does correlate, that the correlation is settled, and therefore urgent action is needed NOW towards our political objective of prohibiting civilian gun ownership.

And what about that forest in northern Quebec?

I’m willing to give that long infographic a fair shake.

Mostly because the authors threw in a dope "spinal tap" reference, so I know they’re not total beakers.

I really am undecided on all of this. Or more likely, sort of where Misanthropist (who now has generational skin in the game) is. Anyone who’s lived in and out of the same region where they grew up for a decent lifespan knows that the weather is getting weird. But I’m skeptical as to the level of our collective understanding as to the long-term ‘what’s,’ let alone the ‘whys.’
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 01-25-2020 at 12:00 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I remember the old "carburetors" in use during the 60's and 70's...

Of course I have no personal first hand knowledge...

Head Hear!

Gotta agree - I "heard" the same thing.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    My problem with the infographic is the absence of the Younger Dryas period, it's sudden appearance and end, the correlation with the massive die off of Northern Hemisphere (especially North American) megafauna, and the geologic impact on North America....not to mention the disappearance of the Clovis culture at that time. I fear that climate change is a real, cyclical, ongoing occurrence that has causes entirely unrelated to "carbon emissions", and that we are likely still largely helpless to prevent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’m willing to give that long infographic a fair shake.

Mostly because the authors threw in a dope "spinal tap" reference, so I know they’re not total beakers.

I really am undecided on all of this. Or more likely, sort of where Misanthropist (who now has generational skin in the game) is. Anyone who’s lived in and out of the same region where they grew up for a decent lifespan knows that the weather is getting weird. But I’m skeptical as to the level of our collective understanding as to the long-term ‘what’s,’ let alone the ‘whys.’
    Natures way of thinning the herd. Think of it as a warm boot.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-25-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List