Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Important climate change warning

A solution that doesn’t fight human nature: climate engineering. We can fix this. Humans are smart. Carbon sequestration, atmospheric injection, and things we haven’t thought of yet can offset carbon emissions until solar and nuclear power catch up.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    ETA: This was a response to @Borderland's deleted post.

I know with a 10 or 15 foot rise in sea level, Skagit Everything is f'ed. Like many, many other good places to live where a lot of food is grown. Don't know if it will happen in my lifetime, or if there is anything that all of humanity could do to delay it by a useful amount if we worked together.

One thing I am certain of is that all of humanity will not work together toward that goal. If there is a tragedy coming that could be prevented in some way, it will be a "tragedy of the commons" and we are inescapably in it.
    This is timely. Looks like you're in the area.

I'll have to check but I'm thinking that we just got about 4 inches of rain in a few days and it's still raining. I've been at my current location for 25 years and I measure the rain amount by accumulation in the ditch in front of my neighbors house. It acts as a detention pond because it doesn't have an outlet. The water in that ditch has never run over the road in my time living here. I just took the dog out and looked at it. It's running over the road and down my neighbors driveway and now my driveway. The water travels about 400' down his driveway into a drain he installed across his shop footing. Lucky for him because it would have flooded his shop otherwise. We are both the lowest properties on our road so we get a lot of run off.

I think we may have broken some rainfall records this week. I noticed that the weather site that I use stated that so far it's the warmest winter on record in the US and we're getting some very strange weather.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I remember 1990, when Fir Island was underwater and volunteer sandbagging crews saved downtown Mt. Vernon. That was a bad year, in a trend of increasingly bad flood years. Makes "When the Levee Breaks" personally meaningful.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

All the above doesn't address other issues I don't hear anyone talk about.

The Jet Stream has changed. Did anyone really think it wasn't going to. Up until the last 75 years the wind has blown across the center of the US and other parts of the world without any interference. Now we have cities with sky scrappers resisting the wind and slowing it down causing the jet stream to change and follow the path of least resistance. Add to that all the wind farms taking energy out of the wind. Nothing is for free.

Now let's discuss what all these solar panels may/could/probably be doing to change the environment. They are collecting energy that otherwise would be falling on mother earth, will that prove to be detrimental in the long run??

How about collecting energy from the oceans waves. Again nothing is for free, you are taking energy out of the waves, that's going to probably have secondary and tertiary orders of effect as well.

Does this mean that climate change isn't real, NO. Does this mean that climate change is as bad as some people want us to believe, who knows maybe yes, maybe no.

What I am saying is that many of the solutions people want the world to move to have negative effects associated with them as well. Take electric cars for instance. What about the energy that is used to create the electricity to charge them, the haz waste that the batteries become at the end of their life cycle. Or even the effects of the process to manufacture the lithium batteries. Collectively this may be worse than the footprint caused by good old gas guzzlers.

We need to take a hard look at all things man kind does, as well take in account that climate change is a natural process that can happen quickly. Look at the middle east. That area use to be a garden paradise and now mainly is a desert. And that happened before the industrial revolution.
    Last edited by rsa-otc; 02-07-2020 at 03:43 PM.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I remember 1990, when Fir Island was underwater and volunteer sandbagging crews saved downtown Mt. Vernon. That was a bad year, in a trend of increasingly bad flood years. Makes "When the Levee Breaks" personally meaningful.
    I remember seeing farm houses in the middle of large lakes. That one was the mother of all floods on several rivers around here. I was closer to the Snohomish river when that happened. Hwy 2 was under 3' of water near Monroe for days. Living near the river is risky. I've seen too much flood damage to even consider it.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-07-2020 at 04:15 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    All the above doesn't address other issues I don't hear anyone talk about.

The Jet Stream has changed. Did anyone really think it wasn't going to. Up until the last 75 years the wind has blown across the center of the US and other parts of the world without any interference. Now we have cities with sky scrappers resisting the wind and slowing it down causing the jet stream to change and follow the path of least resistance. Add to that all the wind farms taking energy out of the wind. Nothing is for free.
    The jet stream over North America is at an altitude between 33,000 ft and 52,000 ft cities and wind farms aren’t going to change the jet stream by blocking the wind.

Cities and urban areas can act as heat sinks and have an affect on local convective storms.

Oops. Glacier melting from the bottom up.
    https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/the-an...come%20thinner.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The only prediction I'll make is that the climate change people will be proven wrong again in 10 years.
    https://www.newsweek.com/volcanic-ac...r-below-998522
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    I am no longer current in my study so I had best not show my ignorance. Looking at changes having occurred over geological time measured in 100's of 1000's of years to millions of years, we can say that climate changes were numerous and extreme. Human beings during their brief stay have influenced climate and will continue to do so. The question, though, is to what extent. Unfortunately, highly emotional and even vicious politics determine the nature of dialogue. I can't think of a more polarized subject.

Though my unqualified opinion is that burning fossil fuel accelerates global warming, I have no idea to what extent. Further, I must exclaim that I can not fathom our civilization's surviving without burning fossil fuels including coal. Visualize our nation's level of energy consumption. Now visualize the planet's energy expenditure if the 3rd World consumed energy at levels similar to the United States. If that did occur, would you care to guess the effect on global warming(climate change)? I hope that I have not showed my ignorance. My beloved nephew and I disagree on this subject. He says that he is a science denier. I tell him he's not qualified to deny science, and I'm not qualified to argue with him. His tortoise bit him. I attributed this to climate change.🤗

"Though my unqualified opinion is that burning fossil fuel accelerates global warming, "

Get with the woke verbage bro, Its climate change because the climate never started changing till recently.

Global warming is so yesterday.....

User Tag List