Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Winter parka recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Topical tangent: Who is using what for cleaning (nikwax, sportwash, etc), how is the DWR holding up or being restored on the suggestions made, etc...
    I use Nikwax or Sportwash to wash technical jackets. I use grangers spray on DWR finish. Nikwax DWR did not work well for me.

Site Supporter
    Re the OP-Treated Down v. a good synthetic i.e. Primaloft Gold.

While I think the conventional wisdom is that treated down has closed so of the gap, any down, to include treated down, is going to wet out sooner than primaloft gold.

Even conceding that down may be warmer oz. for oz., compresses more and my be more durable than synthetic, those factors are issues down the line so to speak and can be minimized with proper care.

Having my insulation layer wet out to the point of being ineffective is a now issue. Therefore, for me, in my house, the parkas are now insulated with synthetic- Primaloft Gold to be precise. I suspect there are synthetics others in the same realm as well.

YMMV

PS- Did I miss your posting re your budget?

I have read many great suggestions in all prices from copies of Carhartt to Canada Goose. I am really interested in hearing what people are doing to stay warm in any budget range.
    Last edited by DamonL; 01-25-2020 at 10:19 PM.

I have one from Land's End that served me well for 4 years in Nebraska. Also, if you can find one, the old US Air Force Parkas were pretty good too.

https://www.amazon.com/Valley-Appare.../dp/B01NA6AM1A
    Last edited by Redhat; 01-26-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Site Supporter
    OP

In any budget range-ok I'll play. It's sunday. I would note that the talent pool here is wide and deep and does best when people ask direct questions, particularly when prompted to do so.
    Foe example if you were to say your budget was 150 max. The brand Arcteryx would not even come out of my mouth.

0-No Budget-layer what you got. Trashbag as your second to the last layer. Do a better job of staying out of the cold.

under 50- Small Budget-Layer what you got- any cheap puffy and windbreaker combo as your last two layers from the thrift store.

under 150-Layer what you got and get any number of coats out of season at 50% off to include Mil Surplus.

under 300-LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, Sierra Trading Post, REI, Moosejaw etc. particularly on sale-focus on Primaloft Gold or Down with a fill rate of 650+. Perhaps some really warm snow boarder stuff falls into this category as well. See Brands below.

under 600-Top Tier Brands-Arcteryx, Beyond, Kuiu, Some Outdoor Research/Patagonia/North Face/Marmot Mountain Hardware etc.

Under 1000-More of the brands above. Absent work/specific activity driving the train, you do not need to spend 1K to stay warm. Particularly if you are just out and about.

I am familiar with Boy Scouts getting rained on and forgetting to pack their poncho's and using trash bags with holes cut out for the head and arms. I also recognize that is why you recommend synthetics. I am not really tied to synthetics, because I do remember to wear my goretex shell in the rain. I have not had to worry about wetting out an insulation layer yet.

What I have learned from those who posted from really cold climates is that they like windproof, waterproof, insulated parkas like the Air Force parka (low price), LL Bean Baxter State, Maine, and Warden parkas (mid priced), and even Canada Goose was mentioned (expensive). I actually went to a store and tried on a Northface McMurdo parka (mid priced) that is similar in style. The long length definately felt warmer and I appreciated the need for a two way zipper. What I didn't like was this particular parka was heavier and stiffer than what I was use to. What I ended up doing was buying a midweight down coat that was warmer than the down sweater. I bought a Rab Valiance jacket on sale and it has a waterproof shell and is box baffled. It definitely feels warmer than my current set up.

User Tag List