Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter parka recommendations

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have a Carhartt Kalkaska down parka I wore when I lived in southern Minnesota. Awesome parka that now has sadly been discontinued. Not sure if they make one similar nowadays but Carhartt is definitely worth a look if you're trying to keep the price down.

Layers are also really the key to staying warm in sub zero weather. I had a set of underarmor that I'd wear when I was going to spend more than 15 min outside in the depth of winter. Very helpful.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 01-24-2020 at 10:28 AM.

I do not like big warm jackets. I prefer to layer up with obnoxious amounts of wool according to the conditions.

On the outside of my layers I use the Arktis water- and windproof smock. This thing is a third of the price of the fancy shell brands, does the same job, and is far more durable. The outside layer being ordinary ripstop also means it doesn't make the annoying (and compromising, depending on your use case) swishy-swooshy noise of typical outdoor gear.

I don't like heavy/bulky parkas or pants and instead stack lightweight, flexible tech layers. They are easier to store, carry, dry, and replace. More flexible through seasons as well. Wool or wool blend short and/or long baselayers, the right level of insulation layer (half zip, light puffy), and a light or insulated external shell is my norm. DWR, windproof, breathable.

Low activity or sitting still, stuff like the AF parka mentioned above and various puffy pants do work well. And you don't muck stalls in Arcteryx, that's a good job for Carhartts.

Also, temp is only one variable and I tend to watch humidity more. On a typical day, 20 degrees in Minneapolis or Fargo is a lot colder than 20 degrees in Denver. When traveling, also altitude. Wind resistance on the high plains is also a big deal.

Wearing a lot of these folks lately: https://beyondclothing.com/
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I’ve been layering for years, finally got sick of being cold and bought a Canada Goose Chilliwack Bomber. And no I didn’t it anywhere close to retail on it.

I can wear it with just a t-shirt with temps in the 30s and it feels toasty warm. Not sure if it’s a property of the down but the jacket is still comfortable when temps get into the 40s. Of course the jacket works excellent using it with layers when the weather goes polar.

I’m pretty hard on my stuff and sweat a lot. The jacket had held up great for me. 100% satisfied even if the brand is possibly more obnoxious than Arcteryx.

So, you guys aren't wearing your dead bird jackets when doing actual work?

When I buy a $500 jacket (and I have before) I wear it for pretty much everything.

I think this is why I finally settled on the M65. Light enough for hiking, durable enough for work, cheap enough to replace.

Give Eddie Bauer a look. They have an excellent return policy. Lifetime warranty. My many many year old EB jacket finally got replaced this winter with a hooded Microtherm 2.0. It is undoubtedly the best jacket I have ever had.
    Right now they are having a 60% off sale. https://www.eddiebauer.com/?cm_mmc=G...SAAEgJp2PD_BwE
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

This is what I have my eye on: durable, insulated, waterproof, 2-way zipper.

https://www.kuiu.com/shop/collection...ions-galeforce

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    For hunting and other outdoors activity - I use parts of the military EWCS system which I have from previous service but it is amazing how cheap you can find new, unissued EWCS layers.

Site Supporter
    I have picked up some KUIU off their clearance section - great stuff but I shudder at the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This is what I have my eye on: durable, insulated, waterproof, 2-way zipper.
    I actually find I hate 2-way zippers. What is it about them that you like?

I've never found the utility and have found them to fail more often.

User Tag List