Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Winter parka recommendations

If you need more than the down sweater / Beta AR combo several of the puffy jackets are extremely warm. Insulated offerings from Arcteryx or Kuiu are good options. There are some amazing deals to be had on surplus military parkas (and soft shell jackets) from Beyond, Patagonia, and other contract companies.

Down to zero I wear a layering system of merino wool base layer, 200 fleece pullover, under a basic cheap "puffy" jacket that came as a liner to my Tru-Spec 3 in 1 jacket I got cheap off of Amazon. Below that, I top with an ECWCS level 7 jacket in urban grey. That stupid ECWCS jacket is bomb proof and warm.. but my kids call it the homeless guy jacket. I don't own any down, and haven't in 45 years of living in Alaska. Just good synthetic fibers or fur for me.

I live in northern Wisconsin. It gets pretty cold here a few days a year, like -20 to -30 F cold. My secret weapon on those days is the LL Bean Game Warden parka. Goretex lined shell, plenty of pockets and down liner.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/6576...-with-gore-tex

The rest of the time it’s a layered system similar to the OP, I have several options in fleece, Primaloft, down to combine with a soft or hard shell depending on the weather, activity level and precipitation.
    Last edited by Norville; 01-25-2020 at 10:34 AM.

I find it interesting that many people prefer synthetic vs down. I have found that over time down maintains its loft and warmth better. Synthetic seems to compress and loose some loft. I understand that down does not handle wet conditions well, but the new hydrophobic down should alleviate that problem.

And for the really cold weather, people use heavy layers or switch to an insulated parka.
    Last edited by DamonL; 01-25-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    I find it interesting that many people prefer synthetic vs down. I have found that over time down maintains its loft and warmth better. Synthetic seems to compress and loose some loft. I understand that down does not handle wet conditions well, but the new hydrophobic down should alleviate that problem.
    I've had synthetics that have lasted for many years without fail. A little shake every now and again and good as new. Thinsulate, PrimaLoft and others have proven great in the field...for me at least from winter camping on Mt. Washington and the Adirondacks to the Yosemite high country.

We don't get extreme cold here...9* and below are the exception rather than the rule here...so I don't get to test my gear to the same extent as in years past.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Topical tangent: Who is using what for cleaning (nikwax, sportwash, etc), how is the DWR holding up or being restored on the suggestions made, etc...
    Last edited by ST911; 01-25-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    When working:

Hooded Carhart jacket, short sleeves, work pants, insulated hip-zip Carhart bibs, insulated boots, fleece hat or baklava.

When off work:

Thin sweatshirt, barn jacket, jeans, boots, wool knitted cap. Switch the barn jacket for above Carhart jacket if the wind is up or it's getting closer to 0*F

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    When working:

Hooded Carhart jacket, short sleeves, work pants, insulated hip-zip Carhart bibs, insulated boots, fleece hat or baklava.
    How's that working out for you? Does it get your hair sticky or are the extra calories keeping you warm?

Just having a little fun...

Balaclava:

Last edited by blues; 01-25-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    How's that working out for you? Does it get your hair sticky or are the extra calories keeping you warm?

Just having a little fun...

Balaclava:

Yes - and yes

Site Supporter
    I get overheated quickly, so for around town i like a single layer thats easy to take off.

In upstate New York I had a goretex thinsulate llbean parka that worked well from single digits to 20s. The parka length was necessary there for me.

Here in TX I use a patagonia nylon jacket with a pile lining for the few times it gets in the 20s. Parka length is overkill for this climate.

Perhaps all you need is a heavier weight insulating layer? Patagonia has a number of jackets in their webspecials now if you want to stick with the brand.

User Tag List