Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help picking my first pistol red dot

Quote Originally Posted by Sendit6.5 View Post
    I figured this rapid target acquisition would translate in some way to drawing a pistol and finding the dot - not shooting, but finding it. I hear that guys struggle with "acquiring" the dot on a pistol red dot.
    The main thing that hinders finding the dot on the draw is your draw itself. If you can look at something, close your eyes, draw to it, and then open your eyes at the end of the draw to see your sights in good alignment on target you should have no trouble finding the dot on the draw.

It's much easier with a long gun because it's touching your face, shoulder, and both hands. The pistol is just at the end of your arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    My impression after shooting a P-226 with the dot and without the dot is, it isn't going to improve your shooting at SD ranges <15 yds.
    MY OPINION is that very much depends on your accuracy requirement and skill level.

I bet my speed is similar if my accuracy standard is a generous IPSC A-zone or IDPA -0. I find the dot "improves my shooting" closer to 5- 7 yards if my acceptable target area is the black on a B-8 (5.5" circle) or less, particularly if the real or simulated consequences of a miss (outside desired target area) are high.

I also find the dot to be incredibly helpful as a diagnostic tool.
    David S.

User Tag List