Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help picking my first pistol red dot

Need help picking my first pistol red dot

I need help with picking a red dot. I know I want to try a red dot on my P365 and possibly on my Springfield XDm .40 down the road. Both pistols would need to have the slide cut for the optic. So, while it will be expensive, at least I’m free to pick whatever I want. I will not say ‘money is no object’ when picking a sight, but I’m not entirely sure I want to jump into the most expensive RDS out there, right off the bat. My thought is to try a dot on the P365 and then, later, possibly try it on the XDm. All the options combined with the multiple footprint types has my head spinning. I like having options and the fact that each footprint is only compatible with a couple of types of sights is really frustrating me and making it nearly impossible to make a decision. I keep talking myself out of each one I think I want. Lol! So, I’m hoping y’all can help me decide. Why these manufacturers don't get together and settle on a STANDARD mounting footprint is mind-blowing. It sure seems like it'd make life easier for everyone.

Does anyone know whether the new Holosun 507K uses the same footprint as the RMR? I believe the 507c does (hope I have that right?) so I’m hoping the K model does as well. That would let me start with an inexpensive sight and, if I ever wanted to, upgrade to the RMR (which seems to be a Tier 1 option) later. <—-Sort of a win-win option in my book.

Here’s a list of the brands I’m considering

Holosun 507K (3.25moa). RMR Footprint
    Holosun 507c (3.25moa). RMR Footprint
    Trijicon RMR. (1moa or 3.25moa). RMR Footprint
    Leupold Delta Pro (2.5moa). Shield Footprint
    Vortex Venom (3moa). Doctor Footprint
    Vortex Razor (3moa). C-More Footprint

Am I missing a brand/model that I should consider?

I’m really leaning towards starting with a Holosun because I could always switch to the RMR and that footprint offers me 3 sight options. The other footprints only allow me to mount ONE sight each. Question: Are there adapter plates and, if so, what are the negatives of using an adapter plate? Say I started with thew RMR cut but, later, wanted to put a Vortex Venom on there?

Last questions… What about co-witnessing in case of sight failure? Should I have the slide cut placed in front of the rear irons and switch over to suppressor sights, just in case? The Holosun 507K looked (see video linked below) like it may have a rear iron sight built into it - is this the case?

Sorry for so many questions in one post but I’m hoping that, by throwing all of it together, it’ll make it easier to get useful suggestions. Thanks in advance to those who reply!

Even though this still image doesn't look like it, this video (first few seconds 0:13 - 0:16) makes the Holosun 507K look like it incorporates a rear iron sight; but it was a prototype, so maybe its not in the production model?

I don’t think either the 365 or SA .40 are ideal for learning about a PMO. The 365 because you are limited in what will fit on the slide and because it is nearly a pocket pistol. The SA because .40. I would get a service sized 9mm with a factory multi optic system and mount a RMR type 2 or SRO depending on whether you are oriented towards EDC or technical shooting.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Is there a reason you're not considering dot sizes significantly larger than 3 MOA?

I have a 6.5 MOA RMR and it's absolutely not a handicap to making head shots on USPSA targets (whose heads are smaller than human heads) at 20 yards.

Adapter plates are generally for factory optic cuts. The factory optic cut is made to a footprint unique to that brand, and OEM or aftermarket plates for that brand are used to accommodate the various optic footprints. I think there are some aftermarket optic cuts that use adapter plates but can't think offhand of names.

I'm pretty sure the Leupold Delta Pro has its own unique footprint not shared with any Shield products.

Sights that you can see through the glass? Yes for a pistol that you'll depend on for self defense.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-24-2020 at 10:42 AM.

I would say trade one or both towards something with a plate system to future proof. You might save a little money and these optics are likely to keep evolving at a steady pace for the next 5 years.

Holosun or Vortex on sale for $200 to test the waters if needed. A lot of guys around here just stick with them and don't plan to switch until the decisively better stuff comes along.

In the woods, overcast, early morning...the ongoing gold standard RMR is pretty awful compared to those cheapies. You would never guess it is the more expensive model unless doing a battery endurance test or durability test against trees and rocks. But since we have cowitnessing back up sights why use one with a tiny, heavily tinted window?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don’t think either the 365 or SA .40 are ideal for learning about a PMO. The 365 because you are limited in what will fit on the slide and because it is nearly a pocket pistol. The SA because .40. I would get a service sized 9mm with a factory multi optic system and mount a RMR type 2 or SRO depending on whether you are oriented towards EDC or technical shooting.
    Pretty much this. If you want to start with a cheaper dot like a vortex or Holosun that is fine, but I would do it on a different platform than what you now have. Dot size is total personal preference. I prefer smaller as do a lot of big names and competitors, others equally as qualified prefer larger dots. Larger are probably more forgiving for newbies to the system. A lot of this is going to be experimentation on your part. It is all still evolving somewhat rapidly

Site Supporter
    GJM and his wife has forgotten more about RDS on pistols than many people know.

Between and him and his wife, they have spent 5 figures+ and thousands of hours over the last few years figuring this stuff out.

A smart person learns from their mistakes and experiences. A wise man first learns from the mistakes and experiences of others.

Listen to GJM.

I'll agree there are probably better options than both the XDM.40 and 365, but if you must stick with the existing guns, I'd start with the XDm and a Holosun 507C. The 507c uses the RMR footprint and it's significantly cheaper than a RMR. It MAY not be as durable as an RMR, but seems durable enough for CCW use and certainly casual shooting. I use a 407c on both my carry guns. I find the Holosun slightly easier to shoot than the RMR, in spite of the smaller dot size. The 32 MOA circle could act as training wheels as you are finding/tracking the dot. The larger gun will make it easier to learn.

The Holosun 507k/SIG 365 does NOT use the RMR footprint. It uses a micro footprint. The 507k hasn't been vetted by the shooting public, just a few industry influencers. I think this could be a good combination once the optic is vetted and you have some dot experience.

ETA. ASSuming the XDm is a simple mill job, you can get milling + 507c (on sale) for the price of an RMR or SRO (just the optic). You can upgrade to an RMR/SRO later if you choose.
    Last edited by David S.; 01-25-2020 at 10:10 AM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    The 32 MOA circle could act as training wheels as you are finding/tracking the dot. The larger gun will make it easier to learn..

For this reason alone I may try holosun as my first dot. Although it is tempting to go rmr for $200 more

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    For this reason alone I may try holosun as my first dot. Although it is tempting to go rmr for $200 more
    How good is your index out of the holster?

If you can look at something, close your eyes, draw, then open your eyes to find your sights in good enough alignment; you don't need training wheels. The dot will be right in front of your eyes.

Handgun RDS work best with an erect head and no tactical turtling

Red dot equipped defensive handguns need backup iron sights.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List