Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning with Simple Green?

Slide Glide Lite is THE stuff - put that on the slide rails and many other places you would typically oil, and it will be there until you clean the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    Slide Glide Lite is THE stuff - put that on the slide rails and many other places you would typically oil, and it will be there until you clean the next time.
    How is it different from a light grease like the Wilson offering?
    Mike

Really not sure, but it works very well by all accounts. There are so many lubes, oils and greases out there it is mind boggling. If you have something that works, stick with it. If you are getting failures from ineffective lube, then give it a try.

I appreciate the info, thanks.
    Mike

I use Simple Green and water to clean everything. Plastic guns, steel guns, aluminum guns, alloy guns. Then again, I don't spend much time cleaning either. I really only clean a gun when it needs it. But it does make for a much more pleasant experience than most of the solvents, is easy to dispose of, and doesn't eat the skin off my hands. And it is cheap.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Recommend diluting Simple Green with aluminum. I've seen it turn an AR purple.

I prefer a can of non chlorinated brake cleaner. Cheap, fast, and easy. Just do it outdoors.

I also do not clean much.
    #RESIST

I've experienced good results from Mil-Comm MC25. It is non-toxic, non-flammable, biodegradable, and water-based with no harmful solvents. After cleaning with MC25, I rinse with 91% isopropyl alcohol ($0.99 at the drug store).

Perhaps, rinsing Simple Green off with the higher concentration alcohol will prevent the negative effects experienced by some users. I submerge the various parts of the firearms in MC25 and scrub with a toothbrush. The following submergence in 91% isopropyl alcohol removes all the residual MC25 from all the crevices and preps the part for Mil-Comm's TW25B grease or MC2500. It has worked well with my stuff so far.

I'm unsure if the high-concentration alcohol will help with Simple Green, but you can give it a shot.
    "Keep your powder dry and your hatchet scoured."

Pretty sure the alcohol will be almost as effective as other cleaners to begin with. I have some of the MC25 that I have not used yet, might give it a shot.

Spray with 50% solution of Simple Green and water, brush, rinse in hot water, dry under a fan, lubricate per manual and reassemble. Barrel bore gets an additional solvent cleaning.

Been doing this for years with all my Glocks, but only once with a Commander.

I would just get M-pro 7. It is made to be safe for polymer pistols and is non-toxic and really does not have any strong odor. Then lube with the product that you desire.

User Tag List