Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the "best" pistol cleaning products?

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I haven’t done a search yet, but I’m interested in learning more about maybe using an ultrasonic cleaner. What kind is used, cleaning times, nuts and bolts of doing it, what can and can’t be cleaned in that manner, etc.

I usually stay away from brake cleaner but use hoppes, 725 degreaser, and slip2000 ewl and their grease.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    The above mentioned items work well. MPro7 cleaner and Super Lube grease are my favorites.

I typically use an ultrasonic cleaner filled with a 25/75 Simple Green/Hot Water mixture. A little compressed air in all the cracks and crevices gets the residual liquid out, and a light application of lubricant keeps the guns running well. Keeping the gun lubricated is more important than keeping it clean.

Gloves are recommended when cleaning to keep chemicals and gunk off your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I haven’t done a search yet, but I’m interested in learning more about maybe using an ultrasonic cleaner. What kind is used, cleaning times, nuts and bolts of doing it, what can and can’t be cleaned in that manner, etc.

I usually stay away from brake cleaner but use hoppes, 725 degreaser, and slip2000 ewl and their grease.
    I have this model ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight Watch for their 20% off coupon in the mail.

Fill the ultrasonic tank halfway with the 25/75 mixture I mentioned earlier. Take off the slide and remove the barrel and recoil spring. Drop them in the solution and run for 3 or 4 minutes. Use an old toothbrush to scrub off any stubborn areas. Give it another couple minutes in the cleaner and then rinse parts with clean water. Blow them out with air and lube as necessary.

Frame cleaning can be as simple as hitting the frame internals with the toothbrush then wipe, or place the inverted frame into the ultrasonic for a few minutes and then wipe it and lube.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    NC Brake cleaner, Mobil 1 Synthetic for oil, HiTemp Lithium bearing grease for grease and rock on.

I have become fond of the yellow "Kirkland" brand microfiber towels sold at Costco and online. 36 count for under 20.00.

Having said that, presuming you were shooting jacketed bullets, you could probably wipe off your gun with a slightly damp paper towel, wipe the ramp/chamber and breech face with a bit more vigor, and generously lube the rails, barrel, link etc with virtually any oil to include cooking oil and wipe down with the same and be just fine.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Thank you; and I did find the ultrasonic cleaner thread. I worry a little about stripping lube out of places it should be but can’t be gotten without a detail strip; but I could certainly give this a try. I definitely like the idea of it. It’s nice to see the expense isn’t crazy though I understand there are much spendier machines.

I’m pretty fair at cleaning the old fashioned way, having been taught long ago by some servicemembers who were my students and who also taught me to shoot, but I’m always interested in saving time since i shoot a lot these days.

Started using Ballistol recently. As good as anything, or everything, I’ve used before.

I like the simplicity of it.

I know that I should probably know this, but what areas on a pistol need grease?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Hoppes #9 for the barrel. CLP, applied to a patch, for the slide inside and out and frame interior. I just wipe down the exterior frame of polymer firearms with a dry rag. For lube either Lucas Extreme Duty Oil or FP-10 Lubricant Elite. Always consult owner's manual if your firearm has a protective coating such as S&W titanium cylinder. The manual may have specific do's and don'ts when cleaning. Lotta good info already in this thread!

Stuff that is non-toxic. Slip 2000 products and MPro 7 will allow you to destroy your liver with bourbon, as God intended.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Clean everything with Breakfree CLP. Lube with grease if it slides, oil if it rotates. Brand doesn't matter. It really doesn't.

I just clean all rifle and pistol barrels with Boresnakes. If it hurts accuracy by not being cleaned better, I'm not good enough to tell the difference.
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 01-24-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Thank you; and I did find the ultrasonic cleaner thread. I worry a little about stripping lube out of places it should be but can’t be gotten without a detail strip; but I could certainly give this a try.
    If you are worried about it, just spray that area down with a little Breakfree and let the excess evaporate.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List