Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What are the "best" pistol cleaning products?

Quote Originally Posted by CarloMNL View Post
    Used Hoppe's 9 for a long time. Recently discovered M-Pro 7 bore gel (now discontinued). Inventory label said if reached my country in 2011. Wasn't sure if it would work at all. Turns out it works fine and is odorless (which my household appreciates.)
    The odor is part of the reason I like using Hoppe's, it takes me back to a childhood happy place

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The odor is part of the reason I like using Hoppe's, it takes me back to a childhood happy place
    Same for me. And I also like Gumout for the smell (scent?) as well.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Little bit of a necro-bump here, and not a lube question, but a solvent question: I've used Birchwood Casey's Gun Scrubber and also Safariland/Kleenbore's Gunk-Out as aerosol spray cleaners. I use it on everything from .22's to AR's, Glocks, Benelli Shotguns, etc. Typically I spray the dirty area (chamber, bolt, Glock frame, barrel bore, etc), scrub it with a nylon brush, spray again to flush, and then wipe clean with an old t-shirt.

I'm out of Gunk-Out and need to re-buy. In reading to see what/if I should buy something different, I found a statement that Gunk-Out says it's not safe for certain wood and polymers. Oops.

What do you all use for such things and what is a safe bet? Based on current research I'm leaning towards Aerosol CLP. Still, that doesn't work for de-greasing things.

Thoughts?

Edit: It appears Gunk-Out is now discontinued?
    I suggest using a non chlorinated brake parts spray cleaner. Some of the heavy duty cleaners will degrade plastics and rubber. Degreasers remove oils which must be replaced to prevent rusting even on stainless steel. An easy way is spray with Rem Oil and follow up with brake parts cleaner. Then spray again with Rem Oil. I use compressed air to bow off excess Rem Oil. This method does well on trigger groups. Lately I use Slip 2000 for everything. I've been able to make most cleaning and lube products work. Much of it is snake oil. Slip 2000 is expensive, maybe too expensive. An air compressor is a great tool allowing removal of excess. I clean my guns every time I shoot them but do so gently by wiping of internals with a soft cloth treated with whatever. I use a couple Q tips here and there and then clean chamber with a mop or patches and run same through the bore. No scrubbing with harsh brushes and no excess lube applied. Of course, the outside is wiped gently. On a Glock or CZ this takes 10 minutes. Is this much attention necessary? No.

Breakfree clp for just about all cleaning and preserving tasks. I like a lubricant with more viscosity so it stays out better. Lately I prefer Weaponshield, m-Pro7 lpx, and Lucas extreme.

User Tag List