Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walther PPQ 45, vs. Walther PPQ 45-SD or Springfield XDM?

Rhino,

This may or may not apply to you, but here are some thoughts.

I'm a gunsmith. I also try to think for the long term. I'm also an old guy. I remember when a good military surplus 1911 was $20 to $25, primers were $3.50 a thousand.

One thing I've learned down the decades is that just because you can buy it cheap today, doesn't mean you'll be able to tomorrow. Those bargains I mention above are long gone, never to return.

I had worked on handguns for years when I bought my first Glock in late '89. I was blown away with the ease of detail stripping and repair. Parts were dirt cheap/easy to get.

So, when looking at a pistol for serious use I look into it's service/parts issues. Parts for Glocks are still pretty cheap and everywhere. Walther? H&K and Springfield? Not so much, like not at all.

Shoot what you can beg or borrow. When you find what you like and are willing to bet your (and others') lives on, buy a pair and a spare. Then if you have the money, buy whatever strikes your fancy, have fun. Just don't loose focus on the important. If your pick is something that you can get parts for, get 'em. All of 'em. The answer to the Q "What parts should I get?" is what part do you mind your piece not having? Learn how to take the gun down completely. Figure out what tools you need to do so and get 'em. Glocks shine here.

If you are a .45 guy (I understand perfectly: me too) and the Glocks are too big, take a look at the .45 GAP. It's only draw back is ammo supply and learning to handload and hoarding brass will cover that.

Just a few thoughts for you, hope some help you out on your way.

Cat

Of those listed, I have experience with the XDm .45, though a compact model. It has a basic Powder Rider drop in trigger and I replaced the striker retaining pin. Very accurate pistol, trigger is pretty good for polymer. I have just south of 2000 rounds without issue with the gun. Some reloads that my 1911 liked, it didn't due to OAL being a big long were the only issue.

I have shot an M&P .45, gen1. Not a bad pistol, average M&P trigger, very good accuracy. I didn't get to keep it long enough to form a strong opinion. Todd Greene thought they were the best polymer .45 at one time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I would make sure you're factoring in that every trigger press will cost 50% more than a 9mm handgun.

User Tag List