Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPQ 45, vs. Walther PPQ 45-SD or Springfield XDM?

Walther PPQ 45, vs. Walther PPQ 45-SD or Springfield XDM?

Hello,
    I am a big time Newbie, so if I make a mis-statement, please bare with me.
    I am looking at getting a 45. I am looking at a Walther PPQ 45, a Walther PPQ 45-SD, or a Springfield XDM. (if someone has other thoughts I am happy to hear them). For the moment, Here are my questions:

1. The PPQ, vs. the PPQ-SD, Does the extra barrel length help with accuracy?
    a. What are the pro's and con's of both?
    b. If I do not plan on using a suppressor is it a waste of time?

2. What are the thoughts with the PPQ (either one) vs. the Springfield XDM?
    a. Any pros or cons on the safety's with the Springfield or the PPQ?

I have held the Springfield, but not the PPQ , most of my research has been via videos.

Thanks for any assistance as I continue to do my research.

Without a longer sight radius, a longer barrel doesn't give additional accuracy...save for velocity increases improving ballistics to varying degrees (drop, wind drift, impact velocity, etc.). With a 45 not much changes there.

Unless you want or may later want a suppressor/compensator, or just really love the look, keep money that will go towards ammo, mags, holsters by getting the standard barrel.

XDM 45 is a heavier and slightly more comfortable to shoot pistol. Cheaper mags and more accessories. PPQ 45 is better if you plan to carry regularly and/or want a lot of accuracy without getting into aftermarket parts...also more durable despite lighter weight.

HK USP 45 has been my choice in 45 for a couple decades but between the two above I'd go PPQ. Also check out Gen 4 Glock models. If possible, shoot one or more options instead of just handling empty pistols at gun stores.

The PPQ is a great gun; I have the M1 in 9mm. I haven't heard of any issues in the .45 version, but recoil will be snappy with the high bore axis of the PPQ. I would say it is good to go. I would not buy a Springfield anything other than maybe one of their higher end 1911s.

I second .45s made by HK. Mine is an HK45. If you plan on carrying I think the HK45c is a perfect choice, Glock 19 sized and your choice of carry modes. I might choose LEM for carry.
    Join FPC

Site Supporter
    Another possibility is the S&W M&P 45. I have two of them and they're both accurate and reliable. Accessories and holsters are readily available. A feature I feel is important is the availability of a thumb safety, though that's very much a personal preference.

Both the M&Ps and the Glocks are available on the used market as police trade-ins, so you could save some money if you just want to test the waters with polymer .45s.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    If you already own 1 or more pistols that you use for concealed carry/personal protection, I would buy a .45 version of the same, unless you live in a state that restricts you to 10 round magazines. If so, I'd recommend the M&P 45.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Hello,
    I am a big time Newbie, so if I make a mis-statement, please bare with me.
    I am looking at getting a 45. I am looking at a Walther PPQ 45, a Walther PPQ 45-SD, or a Springfield XDM. (if someone has other thoughts I am happy to hear them). For the moment, Here are my questions:

1. The PPQ, vs. the PPQ-SD, Does the extra barrel length help with accuracy?
    Barrel length doesn’t aid accuracy, longer sight radius can aid accuracy when using iron sights as it aids in more precise sight alignment. Since the slide and sight radius of the PPQ and PPQ SD are the same there would be no difference. Longer barrel length adds velocity but between the PPQ and PPQ SD there would be no practical difference.
    a. What are the pro's and con's of both?
    b. If I do not plan on using a suppressor is it a waste of time?

Yes, unless you intend to run a suppressor or a compensator the threaded barrel is a waste of time

2. What are the thoughts with the PPQ (either one) vs. the Springfield XDM?

The PPQ would be the hands down choice. The XD series pistols have a reputation for durability problems and the grip safety locking the slide when not depressed makes it unsuitable for duty or self defense use.
    a. Any pros or cons on the safety's with the Springfield or the PPQ?
    I have held the Springfield, but not the PPQ , most of my research has been via videos.

Thanks for any assistance as I continue to do my research.
    I recommend shooting the guns under consideration if possible at a range with rental handguns. Feelings lie. What feels good and what performs well are often two different things.

Uncommon guns are uncommon for a reason. I’m not aware of any major military or LE organizations using either the PPQ 45 or XDM 45 but at least the PPQ is used in other calibers so the basic PPQ design has been somewhat vetted.

In a polymer .45 my choices would be a S&W M&P 45, especially with Apex trigger enhancements and the Generation 4 Glocks or the HK USP/45 series if you wanted a hammer fired gun.

Assuming you are in the United States Palmetto state Armory and Summit Gun broker have S&W M&P 45 LE trade in guns for $250 to $300 which is quite a bargain.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-25-2020 at 12:49 PM.

PX4 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    ...if someone has other thoughts I am happy to hear them...
    I would recommend considering a PX4 Storm .45. I have 98,600 rounds on one, 37,428 on another and 5,600 on a couple of others and (evidently) quite well like it. I also EDC one. Years of reliable and accurate service combined with good, easy to do factory supported modifications make for a great package.

There are different lever options and different action types, 3 different backstraps, 3 different mag release buttons, sights, hammer springs, hammers... and so forth. Price-wise it is prudent and won't cram your budget so you can buy plenty of practice ammo.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....duration-usage

I carry the px4 in 40 and love it but would set it aside if, I could get the same gun in 45. Unfortunately for me, I live in commiefornia:-(

The Sig P320 45 doesn’t get enough press in the polymer 45 discussion. I tested the Glock, M&P, Walther, and Sig at the same time with the same ammo and walked away with the Sig. I shoot it just as well as my Wilson Combat CQB...maybe even a bit better.

As long as you can deal with the lower capacity (10 rounds) over something like the Glock I’d suggest trying it out if given a chance.

[/QUOTE] Feelings lie.[/QUOTE]

Nuf said!! So true in much more than guns Brother!

Keep all the info coming please!! It has been very helpful!

User Tag List