Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How fast do i need to push .357 130grain jsp to get some expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    I hope that you'll post your findings here, too, as I'd really enjoy seeing how the soft-points work out for you.
    @the Schwartz

I finally caught one. I lined up 8 jugs with a couple on each side at the end to catch the bullet going out the sides.

I found the bullet in the 6th jug. It hit the backside hard enough to crack the 7th jug.

Name:  20200528_142413.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  35.6 KB

Also got some great expansion from a .38+p 130gr winchester ranger bonded from my wifes 2" m15.

Caught a 250gr xtp from my 4 5/8" blackhawk over 18gr 2400 too. Pretty decent. Ill try it in my 16" m92 next time.
    Last edited by 03RN; 05-28-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    @the Schwartz

I finally caught one. I lined up 8 jugs with a couple on each side at the end to catch the bullet going out the sides.

I found the bullet in the 6th jug. It hit the backside hard enough to crack the 7th jug.

Name:  20200528_142413.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  35.6 KB

Also got some great expansion from a .38+p 130gr winchester ranger bonded from my wifes 2" m15.

Caught a 250gr xtp from my 4 5/8" blackhawk over 18gr 2400 too. Pretty decent. Ill try it in my 16" m92 next time.
    Good job!

With bullets that offer only moderate expansion, it is not uncommon for them to go twice the distance that others go—or even a little further—in water if the velocity is really high. Looks like pretty uniform expansion, though. How fast was it going when it hit?
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Good job!

With bullets that offer only moderate expansion, it is not uncommon for them to go twice the distance that others go—or even a little further—in water if the velocity is really high. Looks like pretty uniform expansion, though. How fast was it going when it hit?
    9grains of unique
    1500-1600fps maybe?

I bet slower powder could get it over 2k and open up a lot more.

Probably not very realistic, but I used to just use old telephone directories, but don't even get them any more.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    9grains of unique
    1500-1600fps maybe?

I bet slower powder could get it over 2k and open up a lot more.
    Well, it looks like a pretty decent load. Assuming that its average diameter is ~0.45'', at 1,550 fps, that 130-grain JSP ought to be good for approximately 27'' worth of penetration in soft tissue (according to the Q-model).

Small game, sure...but it also looks like a decent deer load, too.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I take my own water testing results this way: if it doesn't expand in water, it certainly won't expand in critters of any kind.

I have only had three hollowpoints NOT expand in water: PPU .32 ACP 71 grain JHP, PPU "Handgun Line" LSWCHP standard-pressure .38 Special, and PMC Starfire .45 ACP (partial expansion on one side).
    Thanks for that. I had assumed that PPU LSWCHP standard-pressure .38 Special load wouldn't expand under normal conditions, and it is nice to get confirmation.

ETA: What did that Ranger Bonded 130 +p look like? I just bought several boxes of that to play with. 2" Model 15s are awesome old guns. One of the first handguns that I regularly carried.
    Last edited by revolvergeek; 06-11-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    Thanks for that. I had assumed that load wouldn't expand under normal conditions, and it is nice to get confirmation.
    That was from a 4" barrel. I may give it a whirl from my Winchester soon, and see if anything is different.

It is VERY soft lead. (Coats my 640 barrel in a few dozen rounds)
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    That was from a 4" barrel. I may give it a whirl from my Winchester soon, and see if anything is different.

It is VERY soft lead. (Coats my 640 barrel in a few dozen rounds)
    A very valid point. I have a NEF Handi Rifle that has been eyeballing it as a relatively quiet anti critter load...

Thanks for that. I had assumed that PPU LSWCHP standard-pressure .38 Special load wouldn't expand under normal conditions, and it is nice to get confirmation.

ETA: What did that Ranger Bonded 130 +p look like? I just bought several boxes of that to play with. 2" Model 15s are awesome old guns. One of the first handguns that I regularly carried.
    @revolvergeek
    Name:  15919140340125864863518910610598.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  37.4 KB
    Name:  15919141662799163172789710190386.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  34.9 KB

You be the judge?

A very valid point. I have a NEF Handi Rifle that has been eyeballing it as a relatively quiet anti critter load...
    Name:  20200611_193331.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  76.1 KB

Name:  20200611_193319.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  65.5 KB

It went through 4 1 gallon milk jugs, and stopped in the 2nd kitty litter jug (going through the thin side).

The explosion of the first jug was impressive--much like 230 grain 45 ACP Gold Dots. I got sprayed nicely at 2 yards.

I would expect plenty of penetration.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List