Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How fast do i need to push .357 130grain jsp to get some expansion?

How fast do i need to push .357 130grain jsp to get some expansion?

I just got in a couple thousand 130 grain jsp from precision delta. Just under 10cpr. I got them because they were cheaper than any other jacketed bullet and i wanted to try some.

Depending on accuracy they may just be for uspsa this year to help with fouling.

I highly doubt i could load them fast enough to get expansion with my m66. Maybe my 4" m19 but im still sceptical. Now my 20" M92 is another story. 9gr unique looks like i should get 1700fps. Over 2k with other powders.

Might be a cheap small game bullet. Beaver, coons, yotes, etc.

I dont think water jugs are a realistic media but could they at least be used to show if a bullet will expand in real life?

It depends on the bullet construction. I’d call them and ask.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Okie John
    That would have been a good first step lol.

Email sent.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I dont think water jugs are a realistic media but could they at least be used to show if a bullet will expand in real life?
    There's only one way to find out, 03.

Water, and 10% ordnance gelatin, is an acceptable tissue simulant.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    There's only one way to find out, 03.

Water, and 10% ordnance gelatin, is an acceptable tissue simulant.
    Well then ill start saving milk jugs.

They shoot pretty well.

My m92 shot 5 rounds of each into the same 3x5 index card at 50 yards from the prone. 158gr american eagle jsp, 158gr swc-wn over 13.5gr 2400, 140gr xtp over 9gr unique, and 130gr jsp over 9gr unique.

Im pretty impressed at the consistent POI.

Speer #15 manual recommends 158 JSP or JHP for deer, and the high velocities in their data are approximately 1000-1250fps. So you could take that to mean that they believe they will expand in that range.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

They shoot pretty well.

My m92 shot 5 rounds of each into the same 3x5 index card at 50 yards from the prone. 158gr american eagle jsp, 158gr swc-wn over 13.5gr 2400, 140gr xtp over 9gr unique, and 130gr jsp over 9gr unique.

Having the longer sight radius of that M92 probably helps a lot. I've really grown to appreciate such luxuries these days as my focal elasticity grows worse with age.

While plastic milk jugs will work, if you or a family member buy milk or juice that comes in the ½-gallon 3¾" x 3¾" x 9"-tall paperboard cartons, those are much preferred as the wall strength does not have any discernible effect on bullet expansion during tests. Even more economical—if you can cobble together something to hold them upright and in-line with one another—are the generic 1-gallon zipper-sealed freezer storage bags as they are simply the best way to minimize the effect of container walls.

I hope that you'll post your findings here, too, as I'd really enjoy seeing how the soft-points work out for you.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

If you are getting past 1200 fps I would not worry about it.

But I bet past 1900 fps the bullet might start flying apart.

BTW.. I fell in love with my two Rossi 92 .44 magnum leverguns. Outstanding little rifles.

They shoot pretty well.

I take my own water testing results this way: if it doesn't expand in water, it certainly won't expand in critters of any kind.

I have only had three hollowpoints NOT expand in water: PPU .32 ACP 71 grain JHP, PPU "Handgun Line" LSWCHP standard-pressure .38 Special, and PMC Starfire .45 ACP (partial expansion on one side).

I look forward to your results. I plan to test some .357 in my m94 one day, but I collect milk jugs slowly, and I still have some tests to do in 4" and 6". When using jugs, make sure they are tightly placed together, and keep your aimpoint on the back of that last jug. It sucks when a round "jumps the track" and you have to start over.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 02-03-2020 at 07:02 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Okie John
    Good advice. Bullet mfg's will know the performance of their bullets. If the bullet was designed for expansion they'll know the velocity that it needs to expand. If they don't know find another bullet.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List