Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain the Holosun PMO product line

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Anyone know what is up with the "battery-less" pistol optic we are seeing from Shot Show pics?
    Regarding the prototype from Holosun, that made the overall package noticeably shorter, smaller and appears to put the dot just over a stock height front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by matt7184 View Post
    It's supposed to be solar powered
    If it doesn't have a battery, how does it power up once ambient light is not enough to drive the solar cell? What keeps it on when you have it in the dark, concealed under your clothes?

The only other solid state electrical energy storage device that I know of is a capacitor. And capacitors are burst discharge devices.

So.....

We're back to my original question. This thing either has a rechargeable battery to run when there's not enough solar cell output, in which case Holosun is lying. Or it has some self luminous source, in which case this is nothing new, since Trijicon already did it years ago.

Or?

Rather than fall for hype, I'd rather do some critical thinking and ask uncomfortable questions.

The MOS footprint integral base thing is somewhat creative, but it means fuck all to those who don't have Glocks.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-23-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    If it doesn't have a battery, how does it power up once ambient light is not enough to drive the solar cell? What keeps it on when you have it in the dark, concealed under your clothes?

The only other solid state electrical energy storage device that I know of is a capacitor. And capacitors are burst discharge devices.

So.....

We're back to my original question. This thing either has a rechargeable battery to run when there's not enough solar cell output, in which case Holosun is lying. Or it has some self luminous source, in which case this is nothing new, since Trijicon already did it years ago.

Or?

Rather than fall for hype, I'd rather do some critical thinking and ask uncomfortable questions.

The MOS footprint integral base thing is somewhat creative, but it means fuck all to those who don't have Glocks.
    We use electrolytic capacitors for longer term use all of the time. One of my bass pickups, some models, etc. you just don’t want to leave them on all of the time, runtime is measured in hours.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    We use electrolytic capacitors for longer term use all of the time. One of my bass pickups, some models, etc. you just don’t want to leave them on all of the time, runtime is measured in hours.
    I doubt one fits inside a tiny RDS. I'm curious to know what is Holosun's solution, but I won't be participating in the hype parties.

I am not much of a pistol red dot guy, but I don't understand the excitement over that Holosun. With so many people already concealing RMRs why make an optic for a full size or compact gun that seems substantially smaller and less usable?

I doubt one fits inside a tiny RDS. I'm curious to know what is Holosun's solution, but I won't be participating in the hype parties.

https://www.recoilweb.com/prototype-...ot-157096.html

Above article shows the MOS sight in some detail.

No replaceable battery, just a solar panel. Holosun claims leaving it in the sun for a day charges it for 2,000 hours(!)

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    My attempt:

507C= core model. 2 MOA dot with 32 MOA ring.
    507C-gr= same as 507C, but with green reticle.
    407C= same as 507 except only 2 MOA dot option
    407CO= one dot option like 407C but instead of a 2MOA dot it is an 8MOA ring
    508T= titanium "elite" models. Like 507C but titanium housing which should be tougher and lighter weight. Also black lettering instead if "Holosun" in big white letters as on cheaper models. Also available in green.
    509T= closed emitter, ACRO-ish clone but with all the 507C/508T features. Unique mounting system that is like ACRO but different with RMR adapters to be available soon. Uses CR1632 battery all above models are CR2032.

507K/407K= Shield RMSC mounting system and size. Like 507C and 407C, the 507K has ring/dot reticle choices while 407K is limited to 2MOA dot.

For 2020 the 507 and 508 are being upgraded with a side loading battery tray and bigger buttons. Unsure if this will extend to 407.
    For 2020 the 508 is being upgraded to a rectangular housing for better durability in drops.

For further confusion I believe they are releasing an amber reticle for color blind folks across their lineup.
    Edit:
    2020 revised optics ALL use CR1632 battery, not CR2032. If it has a side loading tray, it is CR1632
    407K appears to be 6MOA dot, not 2 MOA dot

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    No replaceable battery, just a solar panel. Holosun claims leaving it in the sun for a day charges it for 2,000 hours(!)
    So it does have a battery. Instead of having to worry about changing it once a year you have to worry about leaving the gun out exposed to light enough to keep the battery from running down.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-24-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    I am not much of a pistol red dot guy, but I don't understand the excitement over that Holosun. With so many people already concealing RMRs why make an optic for a full size or compact gun that seems substantially smaller and less usable?
    You don't use the window as some sort of peep

So it does have a battery. Instead of having to worry about changing it once a year you have to worry about leaving the gun out exposed to light enough to keep the battery from running down.
    Yes, but if (big if) their estimates are correct, you only need to leave it in the sun to charge once per year.

User Tag List