Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Army to FBI

Active Army to FBI

I’m in a similar position and one thing I expected to (and did) find was the pay differences. You’ve got more years in so it’ll be even more noticeable for you, but the jump from O-3 to a new position in most places seems to be significant.

One of the few exceptions seems to be DSS because that’s technically a position in the Foreign Service, but that also means much more OCONUS time. And it’s only an exception in that you’ll catch back up to your current pay faster than other places. That’s my understanding anyways.

I don’t know much about the CIA, but our career course class did have someone give us a recruiting pitch. I don’t think that was his actual job but it did feel like he was trying to sell it so I don’t know how true this is, but one thing he said that I liked was that you can hold in your position. Obviously the Army, and I assume many other agencies, it’s still typically an up or out deal. Part of his pitch was that if you like what you’re doing and good at it, you can ride that position for a long time. Personally that sounds super appealing, but I’m skeptical.

Just a few of my observations so far. The pay thing is probably obvious, but I mention it since it’s one of my biggest considerations with a child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-23-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Site Supporter
    @Moshjath

You and I are the same age, but you’ve already done better decision making wise in regard to career choices.

I’ve met a few feds and the most arrogant were DEA and FBI. They were also unimpressive, and they probably thought the same of me. It’s likely I met the bad apples and most are decent guys and gals.

ICE agents and BPA agents have been the most enjoyable to meet and talk to in my experience.

Some of the above is due to who you meet, but some is probably related to institutional culture.

There are also quality state agencies. Texas DPS has multiple and interesting opportunities. After your 4-5 years as a road trooper there is Governor detail, auto theft, CID, intell, narcotics, and air. After 8 years there is the option to go the Texas Rangers.

Troopers are often goofy ol country boys, but they are as often tough , competent and top notch cops. I think years of working the highway by yourself and doing complex crash investigations and endless amounts of DWI has a positive impact.

I have known road troops, CID, and a couple of Rangers. For the most part they are enjoyable to know and work with.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 01-23-2020 at 02:37 PM.

• It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I'm not sure how that applies to the current situation but it certainly portrays a very sad situation...and an even sadder excuse for an agent.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I'm former enlisted to local LE.

Have seen or worked with several Os that left the Army for L/E. One infantry captain resigned his commission and went to the FBI. I know he ended up doing EOD and intel stuff. Stayed in the area he grew up in;
    One West Point alum, who had been a PL in the 75th, went through a police academy after an NG deployment to Iraq as a company commander. He is now the elected Sheriff for his county;
    A non-infantry PL from that OIF trip recently graduated from an academy & is working at a hybrid dept of public safety (police & fire);
    My old org currently has a former inf captain as a detective;

When I was on fed TF, I worked with two former Os, one Army & one Navy. Both had gone to DEA. I've gotten to interact with various Federal agents over the years, one of whom is posting in this thread.

If you're interested in going the Fed 1811 route, I'd suggest following the recommendations about looking at all of the Fed opportunities, not just the Bureau.

Thanks for the great feedback so far. I’m not really fixated on the FBI itself, the biggest benefit to me of Federal LE would be the ability to buy back my years of military service. Some of the factors going into my planning:

1: More stability compared to my current job. My wife is going to go into her final year of medical school and is planning out her residency. No kids and none on the horizon for us. Getting bounced around every couple years as I go from Army posting to Army posting is doing her a disservice. She got out of the Army after five years and with this latest surprise deployment is about reaching tracer burnout on me being in too. I feel that a Fed LE job like the Bureau would be more stable than my current line of work. I understand the potential for moving, but it will be less than my current job.

2. Continued sense of mission. Going to come across as relatively naive and idealistic here, but law enforcement appeals to me because of the role it plays in society. I’d like to work in an environment that has some of the same sense of camaraderie as the military. A private sector job isn’t that appealing to me.

3. Friends who have gone this route. Some of my buddies from West Point got out at the five or six year mark and transitioned to the FBI, which is kind of why I focused on it because they have firsthand experience with it that they have shared with me. All Infantry O’s...they generally are happier now, better hours, better work environment, and more job satisfaction. Definitely open to other agencies though.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback and direct messages so far!

Site Supporter
    Many state retirement plans allow educational, state, county, and municipal employees (for the sake of this discussion, cops/hose draggers, but just about all covered positions...) To buy their .mil time...that may be more portable/flexible with your wife's situation in the short and long term, vs being moved across the country as she gets into her assorted residency/intern plans.

Do your homework though. Some allow you to buy only a part of your time. Buying your time earlier is usually much cheaper than buying it later. Defined benefit plans are generally better than defined contribution plans. And, if federal is where you want to end up the clock may be.ticking. A few years back when a co worker checked his .mil time would offset the maximum hiring age. I don't know if that has changed across the board or if it was just for specific positions.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Many state retirement plans allow educational, state, county, and municipal employees (for the sake of this discussion, cops/hose draggers, but just about all covered positions...) To buy their .mil time...that may be more portable/flexible with your wife's situation in the short and long term, vs being moved across the country as she gets into her assorted residency/intern plans.

Do your homework though. Some allow you to buy only a part of your time. Buying your time earlier is usually much cheaper than buying it later. Defined benefit plans are generally better than defined contribution plans. And, if federal is where you want to end up the clock may be.ticking. A few years back when a co worker checked his .mil time would offset the maximum hiring age. I don't know if that has changed across the board or if it was just for specific positions.

pat
    I'll have to look into that, regions that appeal to us are Central Texas (We both loved being stationed at Hood), North Alabama (I grew up in Huntsville, left in '06, I understand the city has blown up a bit since I lived there), and potentially New Mexico.

I'm currently 33, so I need to start acting pretty soon on any federal application.

Site Supporter
    A coworker went to the FBI with four years experience with a municipal and a university agency, and two masters degrees. He was promised that after he did his initial 2 years, he could transfer back home to southern New Mexico/west Texas (El Paso). Needs of the Bureau had him do his first two years in the Navajo Nation, and he did so well they wouldn't let him leave. After two two year assignments he was told that for his third block of two years he was going to stay in the Navajo Nation. He quit and came to the local Sheriff's Department.

pat

Local LE, I know that the FBI is way down on agents (something like 900 open spots). One of my guys just tested and another local LE made the jump and is in Quantico right now. The process is long and you're getting up there in years so start now.

User Tag List