Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Active Army to FBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    When I went fed, they automatically calculated my years of active duty towards leave computation and adjusted my base pay entry date to reflect my active duty time (for RIF and a few other purposes, but Not retirement). I had to jump through a few hoops and "buy back" my time for them to count my active duty time toward retirement.
    I’m aware of how it normally works, I was wondering specifically about the service academy time since it normally doesn’t count towards active duty time.

Apparently service academy time doesn’t normally count towards title 10 (military) retirement but it does count towards title 5 (civil service) retirement.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshjath View Post
    A development- looks like my hometown police department is recruiting, and they also offer prior military to buy back their service with them. Our ultimate goal is to settle down there. We are a big fan of midsized southern cities, and Huntsville was a great place to grow up, with a booming economy, great outdoors, plenty of fun stuff going on. This is another avenue to pursue. Nearest residency for EM would be UAB.
    UAB's program is good, though for EM in the south Emory is supposed to be one of the big power-houses. Unfortunately, the other great EM programs are in big cities (LA/NYC/Chicago). We have a great one here in Denver, too. I'd ask and see what kind of program she's looking for. If she is not lookin for a big academic program, you have a lot more flexibility with EM than, say, neurosurgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    We have a Huntsville officer (self described) on this forum; hopefully someone else will remember his username.

ETA: It takes time to be eligible for such an assignment, but one good way to network with feds and see if you like the work is to get on a federal task force as a local LEO. Some federal agencies may then “direct-hire” you to the office of your choice, as you would then be a known quantity.
    PM to guy asking about Huntsville enroute.

Been reading through this thread a few times and had a couple questions regarding my eligibility.

How does the age thing work for military to fed. I'm exploring my post military retirement options as we speak(4 years left until my 20). I'll be 44/45 when I exit the military. I'll have my BA in Intelligence Studies - Terrorism completed and I'm still pretty fit for my age with no disabilities (85 pushups, 90 situps and ran my 2 mile in 12:24 a week after my 40th birthday Army APFT). I see the no older than 37 on most job listings on USAjobs, but I thought there was a different math for former military.

I see an age waiver can be done for those over the required hiring age, but is there a limit to that or are other considerations taken into account(like disabilities, lack thereof, etc). Just trying to test the waters to see if I should even try to get in at this point.

AFAIK, the age waiver maximum to come into a "Covered" position (Law Enforcement Retirement) is 40. You have to do 20 years or LE to get an LE retirement, and carrying a firearm as a Fed after 60 becomes "tricky."

At your expected retirement age, if you want to work for Federal LE, I'd look at non-covered positions (uniformed CBP, for instance), or analyst jobs.

Of course, there are plenty of state/local positions out there that will be happy to take you, especially given today's enviornment.

FWIW, CBP got 6c/12d coverage about a decade ago.

Given your age and degree, your options are extremely limited for toting a gun on the federal side. Basically, your job search can be answered by, "Will I be happy to stand watch on a force protection gig, likely at a pay rate of GS5-to-GS7 unless I become a contract guard with no LE powers?" If the answer is no, don't bother digging deeper into carrying a gun as a federal employee.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    FWIW, CBP got 6c/12d coverage about a decade ago.

Given your age and degree, your options are extremely limited for toting a gun on the federal side. Basically, your job search can be answered by, "Will I be happy to stand watch on a force protection gig, likely at a pay rate of GS5-to-GS7 unless I become a contract guard with no LE powers?" If the answer is no, don't bother digging deeper into carrying a gun as a federal employee.
    Why would the degree have anything to do with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Why would the degree have anything to do with that?
    There's some "off-brand" jobs titled Special Agent (both 1811 and not 1811) that are not under the 6c/12d retirement system but they're specialized, so a generic degree isn't going to cut it.

I did the online diploma mill degree thing from AMU to bump up my raw score during hiring, but to quote a great lawman, "A man has got to know his limitations".
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Not HighSpeed View Post
    Been reading through this thread a few times and had a couple questions regarding my eligibility.

How does the age thing work for military to fed. I'm exploring my post military retirement options as we speak(4 years left until my 20). I'll be 44/45 when I exit the military. I'll have my BA in Intelligence Studies - Terrorism completed and I'm still pretty fit for my age with no disabilities (85 pushups, 90 situps and ran my 2 mile in 12:24 a week after my 40th birthday Army APFT). I see the no older than 37 on most job listings on USAjobs, but I thought there was a different math for former military.

I see an age waiver can be done for those over the required hiring age, but is there a limit to that or are other considerations taken into account(like disabilities, lack thereof, etc). Just trying to test the waters to see if I should even try to get in at this point.
    Some 1811/special agent/criminal investigator positions in the intelligence community (CIA and DIA come to mind) do not participate in 12d/6c retirement, and therefore do not have mandatory retirement at 57. In theory, this means they'll hire older applicants; I don't know if they have their own age requirements. One significant downside to these positions is that, for some reason, they do not pay LEAP (25% pay bump).
    @Not HighSpeed, I may be able to put you in touch with someone who could give more details about the positions I mentioned above, if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    There's some "off-brand" jobs titled Special Agent (both 1811 and not 1811) that are not under the 6c/12d retirement system but they're specialized, so a generic degree isn't going to cut it.

I did the online diploma mill degree thing from AMU to bump up my raw score during hiring, but to quote a great lawman, "A man has got to know his limitations".
    That is true. I’ve been looking at this whole process and wondering “what will I have left in the tank at 45?”. I figured my options would be limited if possible at all, but wanted to try to get real information on it that may not hear from a recruiter or job fair type.
    I figured I’d be looking at Intel or some other analyst in a support role rather than as an investigator or agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Some 1811/special agent/criminal investigator positions in the intelligence community (CIA and DIA come to mind) do not participate in 12d/6c retirement, and therefore do not have mandatory retirement at 57. In theory, this means they'll hire older applicants; I don't know if they have their own age requirements. One significant downside to these positions is that, for some reason, they do not pay LEAP (25% pay bump).
    @Not HighSpeed, I may be able to put you in touch with someone who could give more details about the positions I mentioned above, if you're interested.
    I’d be interested.

Thanks for everyone’s advice so far.

User Tag List