Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Active Army to FBI

There was a guy in my academy who was 42. He had some military reserve time but was never activated. He came from the private sector and was coming into a 6c job. I don’t know how he did it and I’m not sure if he knew whether he came in on a congressional waiver or something.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Can anyone help me understand if active military time applies to the back end of 6c retirement? I'm scheduled to EOD into a 6c 1811 position in Sept. I'm in my early 30's, so no issue meeting the <37 requirement on the front end.

However, I also have 5 years of active mil time behind me. Does that mean I could extend my 6c retirement date past age 57 if I wanted to? Or does military credit only apply on the front end?

I'd appreciate input from any current FLEOs. Thanks!

I suppose I should have also mentioned I wasn't necessarily looking to FBI. I just didn't want to thread drift or start a new thread since it's active to federal.

I'm interested in pretty much any letter agency. I enjoy serving my country and if I can in a mostly physical capacity where I can continue to serve (and not completely start over), I would like to. I don't need to carry a gun and my kids will all have graduated by the time I'm out of the military so moving or even a State Dept job somewhere is of interest also.

I'm nothing special, just a "Redleg" in Rocket artillery(MLRS/HIMARS), with 5 deployments. I have held my secret clearance my whole career so I don't believe I'd have much trouble getting a TS-SCI for future employment.

Site Supporter
    Edge of my Lane at Best. I think it is more likely than not that your window to be an 1811 series special agent has closed or is closing rapidly.

NHS:

I would contact a couple of big FBI field offices and speak to their recruiting coordinator (the big offices have a dedicated one and it is often, if not always an agent.) Write out your list of questions and fire away re any possible exceptions etc. Ask for a link/citation to controlling regs etc. If they are a NO, ask if they know of exceptions for other agencies, if they have a contact etc. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I would repeat the process 2 or 3x and I suspect a consensus/convergence of information will develop.

There are exceptions/waivers to most rules with the G and they tend to be applied most to Veterans. I know of vets who got hired on after 37. I know vets who did not have 4 yr degrees but were still hired as series 1811 special agents. I simply do not know the ins and out of it all.

Site Supporter
    Just in case anyone else reading this is interested: I have it from the horse’s mouth that the CIA and DIA will hire 1811s well past 37. @Not HighSpeed, PM sent with contact info for my source.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Just in case anyone else reading this is interested: I have it from the horse’s mouth that the CIA and DIA will hire 1811s well past 37. @Not HighSpeed, PM sent with contact info for my source.
    We had a CIA guy make a recruiting pitch to us last year who said the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    If I were going to work for either of those agencies I wouldn't want to be an 1811.

Quote Originally Posted by RJflyer View Post
    Can anyone help me understand if active military time applies to the back end of 6c retirement? I'm scheduled to EOD into a 6c 1811 position in Sept. I'm in my early 30's, so no issue meeting the <37 requirement on the front end.

However, I also have 5 years of active mil time behind me. Does that mean I could extend my 6c retirement date past age 57 if I wanted to? Or does military credit only apply on the front end?

You'll still have to retire at 57, but if you "buy-back" your military time you'll get the time added onto your pension calculation. So, if you enter on duty at 35 years old and retire at 55 years old, serving 20 years as a fed, that means your pension will be based on 25 years of service instead of 20 (39.5% of your high-3 average instead of 34%).
    Last edited by TGS; 07-07-2020 at 09:13 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If I were going to work for either of those agencies I wouldn't want to be an 1811.
    I hear you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by RJflyer View Post

RJ - your time "counts" as years served at a 1:1 ratio at retirement (e.g. 12 years service = 12% pension), but NOT for ELIGIBILITY years. You still have to do a minimum of 20 to get your federal retirement.

The buy back is calculated at a flat percentage of all the base pay you've accumulated in your active duty time. For one-term enlisted guys, the buyback is a negligible amount. After 12 years as an officer, my buyback was a LARGE sum. You can pay it off in whatever increments you desire, but it has to be completely paid off before your retirement date. The small print that most folks don't get told is that the gov't will jam you for interest on the "deposit" if you don't pay off the total within 36 months (and every 36 months thereafter), so that's the best solution. I was an idiot and decided to pay my $12K off $25/pay period, until I realized (6 years later) that my deposit owed INCREASED, at which point I just scratched a check for the remainder.

Hope that helps!

User Tag List