Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Active Army to FBI

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If I were going to work for either of those agencies I wouldn't want to be an 1811.
    I would like to know more about the reasoning behind that, if you can. PM is fine if it is better suited. @Le Francais too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Not HighSpeed View Post
    I would like to know more about the reasoning behind that, if you can. PM is fine if it is better suited. @Le Francais too.
    I'm not firmly in my lane on this specific topic (which is why I put you in touch with someone who knows exactly what he's talking about). Speaking of which, I should correct the record: CIA OIG special agents are not technically 1811s, but they do participate in 6c/12d retirement (a recent change, it seems), which means that is likely out of reach for you at this point. Sorry about the error. My understanding is that the CIA has special agents outside of OIG, but I don't know which retirement system they use. Please pick the brain of the guy whose number I sent you; he has worn several hats and can shed more light.

As for my reasoning about DIA/CIA special agent positions not being my top choices if I were working for one or the other of those organizations, it basically boils down to the fact that I think there are more interesting jobs in those agencies. Beyond that, I think there are better 1811 careers with other agencies, if you're going to be a criminal investigator. Age is not a factor for me (I've been an 1811 since my mid-twenties), and so going to an outfit that either doesn't pay LEAP, doesn't have LE retirement, or both, does not appeal to me from a financial standpoint.

The only other option to consider for those over "maximum" age is to look at agencies who hire experienced folks directly into "Secondary" (non 6c covered) 1811 positions. Air Force OSI is one such - they routinely "retread" their retired active duty SAs into "secondary" civilian SA jobs. That way you get the 1811 pay, but the standard retirement (simple 1% per year).

On the DIA 1811s, last time I spoke with one they got 6c coverage, but no LEAP, no arrest authority, etc, so basically just jumped-up investigators, like super IG types. That may have changed, it's been most of a decade since my last contact.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJflyer View Post
    Can anyone help me understand if active military time applies to the back end of 6c retirement? I'm scheduled to EOD into a 6c 1811 position in Sept. I'm in my early 30's, so no issue meeting the <37 requirement on the front end.

However, I also have 5 years of active mil time behind me. Does that mean I could extend my 6c retirement date past age 57 if I wanted to? Or does military credit only apply on the front end?

I'd appreciate input from any current FLEOs. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You'll still have to retire at 57, but if you "buy-back" your military time you'll get the time added onto your pension calculation. So, if you enter on duty at 35 years old and retire at 55 years old, serving 20 years as a fed, that means your pension will be based on 25 years of service instead of 20 (39.5% of your high-3 average instead of 34%).
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    RJ - your time "counts" as years served at a 1:1 ratio at retirement (e.g. 12 years service = 12% pension), but NOT for ELIGIBILITY years. You still have to do a minimum of 20 to get your federal retirement.

The buy back is calculated at a flat percentage of all the base pay you've accumulated in your active duty time. For one-term enlisted guys, the buyback is a negligible amount. After 12 years as an officer, my buyback was a LARGE sum. You can pay it off in whatever increments you desire, but it has to be completely paid off before your retirement date. The small print that most folks don't get told is that the gov't will jam you for interest on the "deposit" if you don't pay off the total within 36 months (and every 36 months thereafter), so that's the best solution. I was an idiot and decided to pay my $12K off $25/pay period, until I realized (6 years later) that my deposit owed INCREASED, at which point I just scratched a check for the remainder.

Hope that helps!
    @RJflyer

The federal civil service retirement system is called FERS (Federal Employee Retirement System). There are two versions of FERS: Regular FERS and FERS for 6c/12d LE/Firefighters etc. Both are based on the average of your three highest annual salaries.

Regular FERS has no maximum retirement age and gives you 1% (of the average of your high 3) per year of service. There is no minimum or maximum number of years but you must be at least 55 years old to collect.

FERS LE retirement normally has a maximum / mandatory retirement age of 57 and gives you 1.7% per year for your first 20 years of 6c/12d service (aka "covered" time) and 1% per year for any 6c/12d beyond 20 or any other federal service. You can retire and collect at age 50. Traditionally this is why 6c/12d jobs were in by 37 out by 57. There is actually no minimum or maximum number of years but if you don't accrue 20 years of 6c/12d covered time you get straight 1% instead of the 1.7% rate.

Some agencies will allow 6c/12d personnel to do extensions (one year at a time) to remain on duty up to age 60. The age limits (57 and 60) are because congress has determined that people in 6c/12d potions must be "youthful and vigorous."

As Psalms144 mentioned bought back military time (and other fed civil service time) count towards retirement pay but does not count towards 6c/12d eligibility.

In the past few years some agencies have switched to in by 40 / out by 60. Though not limited to veterans it was designed to expand the recruiting base to include career military retiring at 37 to 40. There has also been case law challenging the in by 37 / out by 57 for veterans.

The catch is if you get in beyond 37, you still have to do 20 years 6c/12d covered to get the higher 1.7% rate.

For example, I have a co-worker who spent 8 years active duty army and 8 years of regular (non LE) federal civil service before she got into Fed LE at 38. She must work until 58 (20 years) to get the the full 1.7% rate even though she has prior non 6c/12d time.

She bought back her military time so she can retire at 58 with 50% of her high 3. If she retires at 57 she will only get 35%

I'm aware of a vet who got in at 42 years old. He will not able to work beyond 60 so though he got the job, he will be forced to retire at 60 with 18% plus any bought back military time. He's "living the dream" but leaving a lot of money on the table.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    On the DIA 1811s, last time I spoke with one they got 6c coverage, but no LEAP, no arrest authority, etc, so basically just jumped-up investigators, like super IG types. That may have changed, it's been most of a decade since my last contact.
    My info is a lot more recent, and they apparently still don't have 6c coverage (which is a boon for someone in Not HighSpeed's position). No LEAP, but they do carry firearms and have arrest authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Not HighSpeed View Post
    Those are intelligence agencies with some direct action type responsibilities. An actual criminal investigator in those agencies would be an Office of Inspector General (OIG) position i.e. internal affairs investigating employee misconduct, fraud by contractors, etc. not doing the core missions of the agency.

At @HCM, so wait, does bought back military time not count at 1.1% then? It's just a straight 1%?

Not that it's a huge difference, I just want to make sure I have the facts right.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    At @HCM, so wait, does bought back military time not count at 1.1% then? It's just a straight 1%?

Not that it's a huge difference, I just want to make sure I have the facts right.
    AFAIK it is 1% i.e. the same as regular (non 6c) civil service time.

I can confirm it's a straight 1% (more's the pity). So I have 12 years AD time, plus 20 years Federal LE, so if I retire this December I'll be at 46%. If I go another year to mandatory, I'll get 47%.

User Tag List