Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Army to FBI

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    For sure, I understand. The benefit I was trying to show was that it had sort of normal hours and no pressure to move, and the pay probably isn't too bad.

But the IG struck me as even worse than just paper pushers. My relative (who is a super guy) investigated the investigations to ensure that they were done properly. Important work, I guess, but it always struck me as dull, and I never understood why he carried a gun, but it wasn't my place so I never said anything. (Really, I think the SES we worked for wanted to be able to say that he supervised real gun-toting cops, so he lobbied for some 1811 positions. Now you know why I didn't stay there very long.)
    I get it. My first job in federal LE was doing internal security investigations within Treasury after a stint of close to a year of undercover work. It had many of the same sorts of oversight obligations of an IG with more hands on investigating and field work in a variety of arenas. Still, I soon despaired and became somewhat claustrophobic in that environment and directed my sights toward sunnier shores...literally as it turned out.

They weren't the kind of agency to (ordinarily) force transfer unless you sought promotion to supervisory levels. Then you might need to go to a satellite office or HQ.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    If you like Texas, seriously look at DPS. Being a road troop first for 4-5 years may not sound like a ton of fun, but it could be. Given the right location you might enjoy it, and it will make you a great cop if you allow it. I tell you these thing from observing others and my own mistakes of not challenging myself more and pursing better career options. I am blessed, but I also recognize the reality of some wrong decisions career wise.

Last I knew, it was not too difficult to get an assignment to a location you desired. I think they may have to do border duty every so often, but that too would be a great experience.

Give a DPS recruiter a call and just see what they have to say.
    DPS is a good Agency if you are sure you will stay in TX. If you wife may have to move out of state for career opportunities then you are SOL.

They are, however, different. Very old school in some ways, cutting edge in others. There is the right way, the wrong way and the DPS way and the DPS way is a bit different than other LE agencies.

My Nephew is a DPS trooper. New troopers are mostly going the RGV followed by West TX out of the academy yunless you are honor grad or have a hook. He went to the RGV and it took 5 years to get the region (not Duty station) he and his wife wanted to be near family.

Even those not assigned to the border get detailed there frequently, usually a week per month.

As for west Texas, it may be a great place to work and to visit but living there is hard on families and marriages if not from there or prepared for a bit of culture shock Schooling, social and job opportunities are limited.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    For sure, I understand. The benefit I was trying to show was that it had sort of normal hours and no pressure to move, and the pay probably isn't too bad.

But the IG struck me as even worse than just paper pushers. My relative (who is a super guy) investigated the investigations to ensure that they were done properly. Important work, I guess, but it always struck me as dull, and I never understood why he carried a gun, but it wasn't my place so I never said anything. (Really, I think the SES we worked for wanted to be able to say that he supervised real gun-toting cops, so he lobbied for some 1811 positions. Now you know why I didn't stay there very long.)

Plus, I was trying to point out that the IG had a lot of other LE type agents that might offer a better combination of interesting job without the pressure to move.
    Most IG/OIG jobs are mostly paper chases. They are also poor fits for someone without prior LE experience.

On a side note, there are many OIG jobs listed but most of those are filled by 1811s from busier agencies like USSS, HSI etc looking for a slower pace or more stability at home. There is literally a former USSS mafia within the OIGs and your odds of getting one of those jobs off the street is low if they can hire someone who is already FLETC CITP certified.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Most IG/OIG jobs are mostly paper chases. They are also poor fits for someone without prior LE experience.

On a side note, there are many OIG jobs listed but most of those are filled by 1811s from busier agencies like USSS, HSI etc looking for a slower pace or more stability at home. There is literally a former USSS mafia within the OIGs and your odds of getting one of those jobs off the street is low if they can hire someone who is already FLETC CITP certified.
    Almost half of my 48 person FLETC class were OIGers, and none of them that I can remember had any LE background except for two that worked as investigative analysts. Err: Error, 3. We also had a guy that was a posterchild BPA from Casa Grande that went to Education OIG.

Why do you think OIGs are a poor fit for someone without prior LE experience? That's a perspective I haven't heard before, especially given the "Officer Gamble" personality types that I've typically seen OIGs attract/actively recruit.

Relevant comedic relief:

Last edited by TGS; 01-25-2020 at 03:40 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I've been around two desk pops. One in our SAC office. One at the Ft. Lauderdale P.D.

I have no idea how common they are but it was almost comical watching my former Deputy SAC trying to burrow under a desk. I think he thought it was a hit intended for him.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Almost half of my 48 person FLETC class were OIGers, and none of them that I can remember had any LE background except for two that worked as investigative analysts. Err: Error, 3. We also had a guy that was a posterchild BPA from Casa Grande that went to Education OIG.

Why do you think OIGs are a poor fit for someone without prior LE experience? That's a perspective I haven't heard before, especially given the "Officer Gamble" personality types that I've typically seen OIGs attract/actively recruit.

Relevant comedic relief:

For those going to the OIG in non-LE agencies they are not going to get enough experience to be effective for many many years. There’s an old saying that it takes five years to make a decent cop can if he went to college. Same reason why many sheriffs departments want deputies to start out working in the jail and the FBI normally the signs new agents to work a year or two in a criminal squad before moving on to something else. To get a base of experience.

For an OIG in an agency which is wholly or primarily law enforcement, not having that base of experience can lead to missing things and misinterpreting things because they don’t really understand the way things work.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've been around two desk pops. One in our SAC office. One at the Ft. Lauderdale P.D.

I have no idea how common they are but it was almost comical watching my former Deputy SAC trying to burrow under a desk. I think he thought it was a hit intended for him.
    Your deputy SAC was just ahead of his time. Your former agency had an agent shoot his boss and engage in a shoot out with the bosses deputy in CA a couple years back.

Do you merely lacked your deputy SAC’s vision.

For those going to the OIG in non-LE agencies they are not going to get enough experience to be effective for many many years. There’s an old saying that it takes five years to make a decent cop can if he went to college. Same reason why many sheriffs departments want deputies to start out working in the jail and the FBI normally the signs new agents to work a year or two in a criminal squad before moving on to something else. To get a base of experience.

For an OIG in an agency which is wholly or primarily law enforcement, not having that base of experience can lead to missing things and misinterpreting things because they don’t really understand the way things work.
    That I understand, I just didn't think it really applied to the nature of work that most agents in OIGs are doing (I understand there's OIGs on task forces and whatnot, and I'm not referring to them).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That I understand, I just didn't think it really applied to the nature of work that most agents in OIGs are doing (I understand there's OIGs on task forces and whatnot, and I'm not referring to them).
    It doesn’t really apply to OIG working things like contract fraud that are pure paper chases, But it does to those working internal affairs type employee misconduct cases, use of force investigations or counter intelligence cases involving security clearances etc.

Your deputy SAC was just ahead of his time. Your former agency had an agent shoot his boss and engage in a shoot out with the bosses deputy in CA a couple years back.
    Yeah, I worked with that agent who was shot by his subordinate for a number of years. We were also on SRT together.

User Tag List