Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Army to FBI

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    What percentage of doctors make over, say, $1,500,000 in a slow year?
    Every surgeon I know. And as a "capped out" 1811 with LEAP, I'm making considerably less than $150K per year - Rest of US locality being what it is...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Every surgeon I know.
    That’s wonderful for them, but perhaps abnormal, especially for non-surgeons.

And as a "capped out" 1811 with LEAP, I'm making considerably less than $150K per year - Rest of US locality being what it is...
    I see. Some agencies that pay LEAP + OT can exceed that figure even before capping out, and I was thinking of a high cost of living area, but yours is certainly a good point.

Thanks for the replies, will parse through them shortly. Quick reply- Wife is at Duke, wants to go into emergency medicine. Knocked STEP1 out of the park, great grades so far into her third year. Should be a relatively portable specialty. Widening the aperture to 1811 positions as well as local and state positions.

Every surgeon I know.
    What the hell kind of circle are you running in?

When we recruited two of the top neurosurgeons in the US at my last job (hospital), they weren't making anywhere near that much.

I mean, I'm not arguing the fact that doctors will make more than an 1811.....but....
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Hammertime
    She will also make, in a slow year, more than you're likely to make in a decade as a Federal Agent, or a career as a local LEO, so her career aspirations might have more "weight" than yours. My brother is a surgeon (pediatrics), and owns one of the largest and most successful practices in the SW (he has 16 or 18 other surgeons working for him). He still pulls 70+ hour weeks at 57 years old and almost 30 years in the business, and his life still revolves around his call schedule. His wife is a dual-rated CV and trauma surgeon, who is now working part time (one week of call per month) on staff at a local hospital just to keep her hand in, and be free to deal with the family issues that real life entails. Of course, she gets paid more than I do (33 years of federal service, and capped out as a GS-13 step 10 with LEAP)...
    My brother in law is a high school level educated CBP agent. Single. Works a lot. Has about 20 years in. With overtime, working about 60 hours a week he is pulling in $140,000/year before his retirement, health benefits.

There are a lot or primary care physicians that would love that deal.

Hammertime
    Every surgeon I know. And as a "capped out" 1811 with LEAP, I'm making considerably less than $150K per year - Rest of US locality being what it is...
    Your viewpoint is extremely off base. Only the Spine guys regularly pull in over 800k last I checked. Your brother is pretty amazing or crazy busy or able to take a piece of his underling's income if he is pulling in that much.

This seems correct:

https://www.salary.com/research/sala...surgeon-salary

This seems pretty low:
    https://www.indeed.com/salaries/surgeon-Salaries

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshjath View Post
    Thanks for the replies, will parse through them shortly. Quick reply- Wife is at Duke, wants to go into emergency medicine. Knocked STEP1 out of the park, great grades so far into her third year. Should be a relatively portable specialty. Widening the aperture to 1811 positions as well as local and state positions.
    Emergency Medicine is extremely portable. Great choice! She should have no problem scoring a residency position.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Your viewpoint is extremely off base. Only the Spine guys regularly pull in over 800k last I checked. Your brother is pretty amazing or crazy busy or able to take a piece of his underling's income if he is pulling in that much.

This seems correct:

https://www.salary.com/research/sala...surgeon-salary

This seems pretty low:
    https://www.indeed.com/salaries/surgeon-Salaries
    And is this gross or Net ?

How much is left after student loan debt and malpractice insurance etc ?

I shoot with and ER doc and he is comfortable but not making Daddy Warbucks type money after expenses.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    And is this gross or Net ?

How much is left after student loan debt and malpractice insurance etc ?

I shoot with and ER doc and he is comfortable but not making Daddy Warbucks type money after expenses.
    These are salaries, so net. But of course there are taxes, loans, etc. But those don't really count in this exercise. Malpractice insurance would be paid before salary. Loans come out of the person's income unless there is some payback arrangement.

For me personally, my net is about 45% of gross. Used to be more like 55% but overhead is increasing. I should also note that most medical salaries are flat to decreasing. At least that is what I have seen over the last 19 years. My best year was my fourth year in practice and it has been a slow deterioration since.

I'm not LE, never was. I also know nothing about the culture in the Border Patrol. I did however grow up on the border and understand many of the social and economic complexities there. I can only look at that from a non LE perspective though so can't be much help. I have known some CBP agents and made it a point to talk to them when I could. Mostly my impression is they're a pretty squared away agency.

If you're looking at CBP I would read this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Line-Becomes-.../dp/B072SSGP1K

I can relate to a lot of it. It's very informative about the culture and work. CBP would definitely be a consideration for me if I were younger and looking for a job in LE. Just about anywhere along the border except maybe CA would be a great place to work and live. I've lived in TX and AZ on the border and traveled in NM enough to know that it's a pretty decent place to live. I have relatives still living there and get down there every chance I get.

CBP is going to get a lot of action on the border in the coming years. It's a war zone.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-27-2020 at 04:57 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List