Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alien Gear Duty Holster

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Dara gets good feedback but I haven't use one.

My complaint with their design revolves around the optic cut. There's no hood or cup that protects the optic from bumps, dings, etc. Unless I'm missing something?
    No idea I neither roll around fighting dudes nor carry a PMO. I'm just throwing Dara out as "the first non-shit brand I thought of, Googled, and found they sell a similar product for nearly the same money as the AG". Other non-shit brands I'm more familiar with don't sell a holster in precisely that style.

But by all means--if it turns out they produced a real quality product, I'd be quite happy for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    The release mechanism is a push down with the thumb, which - like the GCode SOC rigs - goes forward out of the way. It has a rigid guard to front and back of the button to appear to keep one from accessing the release in any way other than straight down. The mount will allow rotation of the holster from muzzle rearward to neutral to muzzle forward positions without having to buy more plates or belt loops - a plus. Their webpage shows three different heights in regards to the belt.

Couldn't get a feel for its viability in a weapon retention situation. It did not feel chincy, but I can't tell. I asked about agency testing & feedback. The rep said they've gotten it into the hands of the armorers at one large midwest agency and one foreign PD. They are going to be sending post-production samples to the DT/arrest & control instructors at that same midwest agency. Supposedly, there are 110 agencies getting in on the T&E.

It may be "an option" but I don't know.
    In the video, it shows that the release mechanism is height adjustable for different sized hands.....which is a nice idea. As to everything else above, it's wait & see.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

With my luck, I’d hit the guard right in front of the thumb release button with my thumbnail and pop my nail off. Ouch. Lol.

Site Supporter
    Do any of these new holsters out perform the Safariland ALS? Serious question.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    No idea I neither roll around fighting dudes nor carry a PMO. I'm just throwing Dara out as "the first non-shit brand I thought of, Googled, and found they sell a similar product for nearly the same money as the AG". Other non-shit brands I'm more familiar with don't sell a holster in precisely that style.

But by all means--if it turns out they produced a real quality product, I'd be quite happy for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Do any of these new holsters out perform the Safariland ALS? Serious question.
    I think that remains to be seen. I didn't get a chance to handle the Alien Gear rig discussed here, but did play around with the new Blackhawk holster I mentioned in the Shot Show thread. I will say that the thumb placement and movement needed for that holster is more natural than a ALS holster, and seems to produce a faster draw. I was impressed with it. Seems a viable alternative. And they make it in a configuration (pistol with RDS, WML with DG switch) that Safariland stubbornly refuses to make. I think these other options competing with Safariland may actually be good for them, both relieving some of the crazy demand that backs up production/delivery times, and continuing to drive the need to innovate.

Because of the supply issues with Safariland, alternative duty holsters were on my list this year.

Alien Gear, normally a maker of less than wonderful hybrid CCW holsters, was advertising a duty holster in the lead-up to the show.

Went to Alien first, visiting their downstairs booth. What appeared to be one of the duty holsters was sitting on a chair there, but I was directed upstairs to see them.

Looking at and handling the design – it looked injection molded, like the 7T series, but maybe with a “more” porous surface on the non-basket weave models. I could not form an opinion about how it would hold up in terms of weapon retention.

The release mechanism is a downward push by the shooting thumb, like the G-Code SOC and BH Omnivore holster designs. Also, like the G-Code SOC, the release mechanism sends the bale forward and down. Unlike those, it has a guard on either side – front & back – to aid in preventing a release by someone grabbing the gun. I did not check to see how easy it is to try depressing it with the support hand, so I can’t comment on that. It would need to be looked at in testing – like other designs have been.

Speaking with the salesman, I asked about agency testing, use, etc. He told me they sent several pre-production samples to the armorers at a large Midwest police department. Those armorers supposedly gave it a thumbs up and have said they’ll be recommending it. What about weapon retention, defensive tactics, and the like? Recently they have sent production versions to the defensive tactics (arrest & control) instructors at the same agency. Samples had gone OCONUS to a national police agency. And, he mentioned over one hundred domestic agencies have sent T&E requests.

Looks like there are multiple versions: with or w/out a WML, PMO hooded or non-hooded, and plain or BW exterior.

Name:  alien82602485_1283394601857184_1470332996669145088_o.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  27.6 KB

I saw one advertised price for a non-WML, non-hooded version of $119.95. Being retired I’m not sure I’d rush out and buy one for that; maybe if the full-featured version shows up below $100.

Blackhawk has deservedly taken a lot of grief over the Serpa. They introduced a new “T” series duty holster that has gone beyond the Omnivore. I don’t recall seeing a PMO version in their part of the booth but there was a WML compatible model (see my photo).

The release is an inward push mechanism with a paddle that looks to sit about where one’s thumb would land if they did not have a frame-mounted safety. The covering for the sights/rear of the slide acts as a guard to the front of the paddle. There is a ridge guarding the paddle towards the rear of the holster as well.

It is molded with a finish similar to any other BH holster.

I haven’t seen an MSRP, MAP, etc on it yet. No chance for discussion on whether or not it had been in agency hands yet and what T&E was showing – not that I’d expect to have heard anything other than glowing reviews. Like the Alien Gear holster, if the price was reasonable (and they make it for an M&P w/WML and PMO) I’d be willing to buy one and evaluate it.

Name:  bht_2761.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  29.2 KB

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    [QUOTE=AMC;986139]I think that remains to be seen. I didn't get a chance to handle the Alien Gear rig discussed here, but did play around with the new Blackhawk holster.

I got to handle the Blackhawk PMO holster, and talked to the young man who was the primary designer. I also have no idea how it will hold up in DT or real world weapon retention, but it looks pretty viable at first blush. The PMO version has a push-away hood lime the Safariland version, but the hard-formed portion that covers the optic is taller. They said it would accommodate almost all PMOs, but that closed emitter sights like the ACRO, Sig Romeo 2 with shroud, etc, would likely require you to remove that push away portion of the cover. They also have a QLS type attachment, that seems quicker to use. Again....alternatives. Seems a possible choice for agencies like SoCalDeps that use WMLs with DG switches, and now PMOs.

Site Supporter
    I feel fine the the Safariland ALS system, but I am happy to see what could be quality competition arising. It should give officers good options and improved products.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I feel fine the the Safariland ALS system, but I am happy to see what could be quality competition arising. It should give officers good options and improved products.
    I'm okay with the ALS system myself, but we often see officers with small hands have trouble with the ALS/SLS combo. Then theres the two step draw from folks who roll the SLS hood forward then come back to the gun and look for the ALS lever. Makes for a painful to watch draw. Either of the above discussed holsters seem like they may improve those situations. If they're durable and reliable....

Site Supporter
    How well do the new Blackhawk and Alien Gear light bearing duty holsters protect access to the trigger?

The Safariland 6360 has way too much room, allowing access to the trigger of a holstered gun. My understanding is the 7TS series improves on this issue.

User Tag List