Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien Gear Duty Holster

Alien Gear Duty Holster

It looks like a legit attempt to compete with Safariland. Looks like a thumb drive spring loaded hood as well as an ALS-style ejection port lock. I like that it has a QLS like quick release as well.

That video pained me from the stand point of "Gross Motor Response" and sticking a huge duty holster on a belt while wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Nothing says cheap cop quite like that.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    It looks like a legit attempt to compete with Safariland. Looks like a thumb drive spring loaded hood as well as an ALS-style ejection port lock.
    If Alien Gear can out-ship Safariland (and the product works) they should have a winner. Granted it has been awhile and maybe Safariland is caught up but when I wanted a P320 holster that would accept a pistol with light and red dot it took MONTHS to receive.

Again, no practical experience, aside from having a CT3 in a box someplace...but for $116, why wouldn't you just go and buy a Dara or something? I just don't see AlienGear as having quite the rep as other companies in that price bracket, and if a customer isn't going to exhaustively test a holster themselves, then rep is pretty much what they're buying on.

For $116 , I’ll stick with Safariland.
    Alien gear is going to need a good track record on duty holsters before I’d switch away from the gold standard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    If Alien Gear can out-ship Safariland (and the product works) they should have a winner. Granted it has been awhile and maybe Safariland is caught up but when I wanted a P320 holster that would accept a pistol with light and red dot it took MONTHS to receive.
    It took months to receive because the initial SIG only version had issues and they had to scrap the whole design and start from scratch. My understanding is those molds run $50k to $100k each so I can see them not want8mg to make an expensive mistake twice. Plus the Army/DOD contract fulfillment.

That said Safarilands website and customer service are HORRIBLE. they need to bring back holsterops.com.

The real question is if alien gear can make a product which is not a piece of shit like their other products which is a lot bigger hurdle than out shipping Safariland. Plus Blackhawk already fills the niche of shitty but immediately available holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    they need to bring back holsterops.com.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    buy a Dara or something
    Dara gets good feedback but I haven't use one.

My complaint with their design revolves around the optic cut. There's no hood or cup that protects the optic from bumps, dings, etc. Unless I'm missing something?

I went to both of their booths to see it just because of the current issues with getting Safariland holsters.

The first booth had one on a chair but they sent me upstairs to their other booth. Odd. Got to look at the second booth. It is a molded holster, more along the lines of the Safariland 7T in feel. It comes in either a molded basketweave or flat, textured appearance.

The release mechanism is a push down with the thumb, which - like the GCode SOC rigs - goes forward out of the way. It has a rigid guard to front and back of the button to appear to keep one from accessing the release in any way other than straight down. The mount will allow rotation of the holster from muzzle rearward to neutral to muzzle forward positions without having to buy more plates or belt loops - a plus. Their webpage shows three different heights in regards to the belt.

Couldn't get a feel for its viability in a weapon retention situation. It did not feel chincy, but I can't tell. I asked about agency testing & feedback. The rep said they've gotten it into the hands of the armorers at one large midwest agency and one foreign PD. They are going to be sending post-production samples to the DT/arrest & control instructors at that same midwest agency. Supposedly, there are 110 agencies getting in on the T&E.

It may be "an option" but I don't know.

Site Supporter
    I have an early (post HSGI) SOC rig and an early Blade-Tech WRS duty holster. I carried each for several years, and liked each for different reasons. I am watching this with interest. The fact that it is Alien Gear almost sours me, but the design is interesting to me.

Can't wait till there are a few om the street and get wrung out in realistic DT and FoF training.

pat

User Tag List