Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you want to like a gun but don't shoot it as well as your main?

Site Supporter
    Have you tried playing with the different size grip inserts? On my 9/40 M&Ps I need the large one, but with my 45s I pulled to the left SHO, going to the medium cured that. IMO there's something going on with your grip; the VP9s have a reputation for excellent accuracy and the 9x19 M&P 2.0s have a reputation for being pretty good as well, that much of a difference shouldn't be chalked up to the guns themselves.

Re: the VP9 not liking steel and aluminum cased ammo - lots of pistols choke on this stuff. It's made to a price point, which implies that production tolerances are going to be funkier than good ammo, and if your chamber's cut to minimum dimensions (pretty sure that's the case with the VP9, it is with my Walther P99C) it's going to be pickier.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 01-23-2020 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Have you tried playing with the different size grip inserts? On my 9/40 M&Ps I need the large one, but with my 45s I pulled to the left SHO, going to the medium cured that. IMO there's something going on with your grip; the VP9s have a reputation for excellent accuracy and the 9x19 M&P 2.0s have a reputation for being pretty good as well, that much of a difference shouldn't be chalked up to the guns themselves. Possible exception to this: If you've got early 9x19 1.0s, they did have mechanical accuracy issues.
    I'm going to play with that next. I usually use small grips on all my guns, I haven't tried the medium yet with the M&P.

I'll try it this weekend, good suggestion.

Don’t force it. Unless you you have to shoot a particular gun (issued gun or sponsored), stick with and like what you shoot well.

You're looking for validation from the forum to switch right?

Okay. You're approved. Shoot the gun you want.

Honestly, shoot some metrics and work on things you suck at and don't want to work on. Getting better as a shooter will tighten your groups far more than changing the pistol.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 01-23-2020 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    You're looking for validation from the forum to switch right?

Okay. You're approved. Shoot the gun you want.

Honestly, shoot some metrics and work on things you suck at and don't want to work on. Getting better as a shooter wil tighten youe groups far more than changing the pistol.

-Cory
    I guess what i'm doing is i'm seeking advice from people who have been shooting far longer than I and I'm sure ya'll have tried other platforms.

But I see what you mean, the baseline for one pistol for one shooter may be higher than it is for another.

Lightbulb

OP: you said you had, "mag issues" with the VP. What kind of issues?
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY_MARSH View Post
    I guess what i'm doing is i'm seeking advice from people who have been shooting far longer than I and I'm sure ya'll have tried other platforms.

But I see what you mean, the baseline for one pistol for one shooter may be higher than it is for another.
    I get it. I may have come across as a jerk there, not my intention. My point was if you possess high shooting ability, you can generally shoot very well with what ever is handed to you. To me, that means practice.

Which firearm lets you practice more and will help you raise ability?

Also, if you're a leo you have (in my non leo opinion) a responsability to be able to make a shot of unknown difficulty under stress. How much gap is there between your performance with them? As stated before by others would suss that out with some metrics.

Good luck.

-Cory

Don’t shoot garbage Russian ammo.

It sucks and they’re douchebags.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Don’t shoot garbage Russian ammo.

It sucks and they’re douchebags.
    I agree if I only had issue with non brass ammo I would just shoot brass ammo. If that is the only issue I had I would stick to the VP. Mags are listed as another reason. You can buy several mags cheaper than buying new M&P's.
    If I wanted to change because I like the M&P I would change to the M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY_MARSH View Post
    Mags are cheaper for it
    What's the price difference? Multiply by the number of mags you expect to need to buy for each platform going forward. Is the difference in expected total spend $50? $100? More? I mean, I know HK mags are expensive-ish, but presumably you already have a decent supply, and their rep is for being extremely durable, so depending on how many you currently have and how much you shoot, this may or may not be a real issue.

User Tag List