Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you want to like a gun but don't shoot it as well as your main?

What do you do when you want to like a gun but don't shoot it as well as your main?

I'm about 5k rounds into my VP9 and I love it. Only thing that sucks is that my particular VP9 is kind of picky. Brass only, i've had stuck casings in the chamber with steel, laquer coated steel, and aluminum cased rounds before. But never had an issue with brass.

I shoot it fairly well, i'm good with the paddle and i'm invested into the platform.

Enter the M&P 2.0. I caught two of them on sale, a full size and a compact. I have almost 2k rounds into the full size and probably only 500 on my compact. I want to shoot the platform well, but I just shoot the VP9 so much better.

The 2.0 is what I want to use more often. I want to use it for work (next qual is in 6 months.) Mags are cheaper for it, more aftermarket, it goes through any kind of ammo I throw in it. I already have the safariland and a good amount of mags. I just can't group as well as I can with the VP9. I feel like the trigger is pretty good and broken in. I just don't know what the issue is. The rounds start loosening up quicker and start drifting a bit left. Whereas the VP9, I can shoot a 3-4" group at 10y with fair pace.

Do you guys usually dump it and stick to the main or do you guys put the effort into working the platform up to your peak? I feel like whenever I get back from a match, I almost know I could have done better with my Vp9.
    Last edited by RANDY_MARSH; 01-23-2020 at 02:52 AM.

What is "so much better"?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    What is "so much better"?
    At 10 yards my groups were almost half the size with very little effort on the VP9 compared to the M&P.

What's half the size?

What's half the size?
    Palm sized with the VP9 compared to hand sized with the M&P. I was doing draw, and fire 4 shots from 8~ yards.

Buy a shot timer, use targets you can score, shoot common shooting tests.

2" difference in slow fire group shooting at 24 feet seems rather narrow in scope to determine which gun you shoot better.

I might suggest the 5x5 IDPA classifier, the FAST test, original FAMS qual, and 25 yard 10 round B8s in 20 seconds.

Have a list of concrete numbers in front of you, your answer should be simple.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 01-23-2020 at 03:52 AM.

Buy a shot timer, use targets you can score, shoot common shooting tests.

2" difference in slow fire group shooting at 24 feet seems rather narrow in scope to determine which gun you shoot better.

I might suggest the 5x5 IDPA classifier, the FAST test, original FAMS qual, and 25 yard 10 round B8s in 20 seconds.

Have a list of concrete numbers in front of you, your answer should be simple.
    I had a timer with me and the same time it took me to do the strings of fire with the VP9 (CLEAN,) I either had to slow down .5-1s with the M&P OR i'd have a miss somewhere in the drill.

The longest string of fire I did was just 6 shots.

So the timer doesn't lie. As always. But at this point, would you guys press on and try to master the thing or just go with what you're better with and take all the advantages you can get?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RANDY_MARSH View Post
    But at this point, would you guys press on and try to master the thing or just go with what you're better with and take all the advantages you can get?
    That's going to be a very subjective answer. I have been advised multiple times by forum members here not even to switch platforms for dry fire.

So I suspect that the majority of respondents are going to tell you to pick one platform and stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    That's going to be a very subjective answer. I have been advised multiple times by forum members here not even to switch platforms for dry fire.

So I suspect that the majority of respondents are going to tell you to pick one platform and stick with it.
    Makes sense. I guess for me what sucks is that the VP9's ammo issues (which some others have said they don't have that issue...)

I want to be good with the M&P, I want to really badly because of the ammo thing and honestly i do trust the reliability a bit more. I've had mag issues with the VP9 before a couple of times that I did not have with the M&P.

Sucks, because when you work in LE, if you're not shooting a glock you're the black sheep anyway.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RANDY_MARSH View Post
    Makes sense. I guess for me what sucks is that the VP9's ammo issues (which some others have said they don't have that issue...)

I want to be good with the M&P, I want to really badly because of the ammo thing and honestly i do trust the reliability a bit more. I've had mag issues with the VP9 before a couple of times that I did not have with the M&P.

Sucks, because when you work in LE, if you're not shooting a glock you're the black sheep anyway.
    At no point did I suggest that you stick with the VP. In fact I didn't make any suggestions at all but if I were going to I would say that you either get the mechanical issues corrected with the VP to where you can trust it 100% or you go with the M&P.
    Last edited by Cypher; 01-23-2020 at 04:28 AM.

User Tag List