Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need an “old school” fixed blade

So many great fixed blades out there it's hard to know where to start or stop:

Dozier, one purchased, one gifted from Bob:

Name:  Dozier2.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  24.5 KB

Name:  DozierProto1.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  56.9 KB

Lovestrand:

Name:  Lovestrand3.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  30.9 KB

Farr:

Name:  FarrKnife_001.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  FarrKnife2_001.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  33.9 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

https://www.randallknives.com/knives/model-25-trapper/

https://www.randallknives.com/knives...d-trail-knife/

There are a lot of adaptations to the knives that you can order. Ordering is a bit of a hassle. There are essentially buyers that buy up most of the production and you have to hunt one of them down, pay catalog price and wait a few months, order from Randall pay catalog price and wait like 4 years, or overpay from somewhere.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...Bow-River/1800

Old school cool but made by spyderco...

You might like to check out the Scandinavian knives on Ragweed Forge for some ideas. I love Scandis...whether custom or production. Great practical knives available in carbon or stainless steels.

Name:  May Scandi.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  76.6 KB
    Last edited by blues; 01-22-2020 at 04:53 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Here's some old school. This is a Kabar my dad gave me when I was a Boy Scout in the '60's. Much later as a 1LT it was the only tool available when I used it to dig out a Jeep that got high centered when my boss got it stuck; and blamed me for not spotting the high centering hazard in the 4' grass.

I've gotten great service out of it. There are more traditional versions yet with the leather washers for the grip.

Attachment 47600
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

^^^^^Kabar. Nice.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Bark River has some nice stuff too.

Thanks much for the direction.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I read the Field Knife thread, but am looking for something a bit more classic (or classic styled) that would both be utilitarian, and also blend well with a six gun and lever rifle. I have ZERO ideas where to start looking.
    I would imagine starting from what the knife will be for would result in more useful suggestions? Do you have an intended use in mind, any size preference, budget restraints (this is P-F, the latter is important here... ), anything else that comes to mind?

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Bark River has some nice stuff too.

Thanks much for the direction.
    Bark River was my very first thought.

They fit almost any budget. Be sure to budget a sheath though, only some models come with them. DLT and Knives Ship Free have a plethora of options in leather that should fit the bill nicely. Absolutely one of my favorite blade amongst those I own is my Bark River Trakker with a Scout-Style sheath. It's a little big for day-hiking carry, but for back country, it will do everything a hatchet or bigger blade will do and everything a smaller blade will do. It's one of the few "do everything" blades. Plus, it looks fuckin' awesome.

That said, you may also consider a good old fashioned hatchet - Like this Hults Bruk - https://www.dlttrading.com/hults-bruk-tarnaby-hatchet - At 1.25 pounds, it may seem a little heavy, but a hatchet with a flat butt can be used as a hammer for tent stakes, etc. And a sharp hatchet can do pretty much anything a knife can do...except, maybe, skin game. Which you can do, but it's not ideal for the task. That said a sharp hatchet + a good folding pocket knife will do all your camp chores. It may make some cringe, but you can do with a hatchet much easier than a knife...And you have less edge to touch up afterwards when you do it.

Carothers Performance Knives EDC. http://www.carothersknives.com/knives/3-edc2/
    This isn't my photo, I, uh, liberated it, but I have two and they're great little knives. The ESEE-4, Swamp Rat HRLM, and several of RMJ Tactical's smaller knives are also great picks. My most carried fixed blade is an RMJ Utsidihi, just on account of how flat it carries, but I heard they're discontinuing it this year.
    Name:  cp30.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  24.2 KB

User Tag List