Page 83 of 725 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183583 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    I have heard the same thing and it also cures the worms. I don't think the benefit is greater than the risk of putting your dirty fingers in your mouth multiple times a day. I used to go through 2 cans a day until 2015, I started when you could get 3 cans for a dollar. I quit cold turkey on February 13 that year and I could eat a can right now. In the last 5 years my rate of illness has dropped considerably to almost non existent and I haven't had the flu until this year, see post #78 https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l-thread/page8. I know correlation doesn't equal causation but when I was getting the flu every year even with the flu shot and then it stopped, I took notice.
    Cool. It must be 15 or 20 years since my last flu shot and I've very seldom fallen victim to one. I couldn't guess if its been maybe 3 times in that span. A cold here and there but I have this cold smashing technique learned from my wife's MD. Mega dosing D-3 for three days at the first sign of cold symptoms. I've repelled a good many that way stopping the advancement of symptoms. It's not an official thing but I'm a believer.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The latest thing Trump said about corona... I just... sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    The latest thing Trump said about corona... I just... sigh...
    You mean on the phoner to the Hannity Show last night disputing the WHO #'s ?

“Now, and this is just my hunch, but based on a lot of conversations with a lot of people that do this. Because a lot people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor. They don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people, so you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu or virus. You just can’t do that. So if, you know, we have thousands, or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by sitting around, and even going to work, some of them go to work, but they get better. And then when you do have a death like you had in the state of Washington, like you had one in California, New York, you know, all of a sudden it seems like 3 or 4%, which is a very high number as opposed to a fraction of 1%.”

That was awesome.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post

“Now, and this is just my hunch, but based on a lot of conversations with a lot of people that do this. Because a lot people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor. They don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people, so you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu or virus. You just can’t do that. So if, you know, we have thousands, or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by sitting around, and even going to work, some of them go to work, but they get better. And then when you do have a death like you had in the state of Washington, like you had one in California, New York, you know, all of a sudden it seems like 3 or 4%, which is a very high number as opposed to a fraction of 1%.”

That was awesome.
    There are no words... Shit like that is just indefensible...

Site Supporter
    I have this cold smashing technique learned from my wife's MD. Mega dosing D-3 for three days at the first sign of cold symptoms. I've repelled a good many that way stopping the advancement of symptoms. It's not an official thing but I'm a believer.
    So I wondered.... What's the bio-logic that a vitamin I always thought was primarily related to skeletal health would repel a cold?

Google answered... Note that the quoted link is a NIH "study of studies"
    ** Also note that the linked article was regarding prevention and treatment of Common Cold.
    ** Also note... I am not a Dr, nor do I play one on TV....

But among these numerous nutrients, which have proven to have evidence-based efficacy on all three immune system barriers? The nutrients are vitamin C, vitamin D, and zinc, because all three nutrients have specific EFSA (European Food Safety Authority) scientific opinion on the substantiation of health claims related to vitamin D [27], vitamin C [28], zinc [29], and normal function of the immune system. Moreover, there is EFSA scientific opinion on the substantiation of health claims related to zinc [30] and to vitamin C [31] and maintenance of normal physical barriers, the first immune system barriers. Finally, for vitamin C [32] and Echinacea [33] there are Cochrane reviews regarding the use of these two nutrients for preventing and treating the common cold.
    Zinc
    In conclusion, given the discreet evidence of efficacy on shortening the duration of colds by approximately 33%, common cold patients may be instructed to try zinc within 24 hours of onset of symptoms [57]. However, since controlled trials that have examined the effect of zinc on the common cold have diverged, the optimal composition and dosage of zinc should be better investigated in addition to the optimum frequency of their administration.
    Vit D
    Clinical trials demonstrate that 400 IU/d vitamin D supplementation is needed for the prevention of respiratory infections [67, 68]. Vitamin D supplementation decreases the events related to respiratory tract infections. In particular, vitamin D is useful in prevention of these types of infections, assuming dosage of vitamin D ranging from 400 IU/day to 2000 IU/day [68]. Epidemiologic studies have found high vitamin D levels to be associated with lower risk of infections of the upper respiratory tract (colds). 4000 IE/day vitamin D supplementation is found to significantly increase the probability of staying infection free during the study period.

<snip>

In conclusion, vitamin D supplementation was safe and it may protect against acute respiratory tract infections overall, although there are numerous studies that do not support this indication and therefore it is necessary that further research will be conducted on the dosage of intake of vitamin D and prevention/treatment of common cold. Baseline levels of vitamin D, age, and dose of vitamin D need to be taken under consideration in order to personalize therapy. Patients who were very deficient in vitamin D and those not receiving bolus doses experienced the most benefit, and it is important to start supplementation in early autumn in order to ensure an adequate vitamin D level in winter.
    Vit C
    The Cochrane review by Hemila et al., 2011, encompassing twenty-nine trials with 11,306 research participants, concluded that regular ingestion of vitamin C had no effect on common cold incidence in the ordinary population [32]. However, it had a modest but consistent effect in reducing the duration and severity of common cold symptoms: in adults the duration of colds was reduced by 8% (3% to 12%) and in children by 14% (7% to 21%); moreover, in children, 1 to 2 g/day vitamin C shortened colds by 18%. Maggini et al., 2012, used a dosage of 1000 mg plus 10 mg zinc and showed that supplementation with vitamin C and zinc may represent an efficacious measure, with a good safety profile, to help ameliorate the symptoms of this infectious viral disease [54].
    Echinacea
    In conclusion, the use of this plant represents a complementary treatment of respiratory tract infections. Prophylactic treatment with Echinacea extracts (2400 mg/day for prevention and 4000 mg/day during acute stages of colds) over 4 months appeared to be beneficial for preventing/treating CC.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...-929/vitamin-d
    For preventing respiratory tract infections: 300-4000 IU of vitamin D in a form known as cholecalciferol has been used for 7 weeks to 13 months.
    <snip>
    The Institute of Medicine publishes recommended daily allowance (RDA), which is an estimate of the amount of vitamin D that meets the needs of most people in the population. The current RDA was set in 2010. The RDA varies based on age as follows: 1-70 years of age, 600 IU daily; 71 years and older, 800 IU daily; pregnant and lactating women, 600 IU daily. For infants ages 0-12 months, an adequate intake (AI) level of 400 IU is recommended.
    https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...tmono-982/zinc (underline emphasis is mine)
    General: Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) quantities of zinc have been established for boys and men age 14 and older, 11 mg/day; women 19 and older, 8 mg/day; pregnant women 14 to 18, 13 mg/day; pregnant women 19 and older, 11 mg/day; lactating women 14 to 18, 14 mg/day; lactating women 19 and older, 12 mg/day. Tolerable Upper Intake Levels (UL) of zinc for people who are not receiving zinc under medical supervision: adults 19 years and older (including pregnancy and lactation), 40 mg/day. The typical North American male consumes about 13 mg/day of dietary zinc; women consume approximately 9 mg/day. Different salt forms provide different amounts of elemental zinc. Zinc sulfate contains 23% elemental zinc; 220 mg zinc sulfate contains 50 mg zinc. Zinc gluconate contains 14.3% elemental zinc; 10 mg zinc gluconate contains 1.43 mg zinc.<snip>
    For the common cold
    : One zinc gluconate or acetate lozenge, providing 4.5-24 mg elemental zinc, dissolved in the mouth every two hours while awake when cold symptoms are present.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

That was awesome.
    Spoken like the true germaphobe he is reputed to be.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar

That was awesome.
    That...actually sounds pretty reasonable to me. It doesn't sound like he's advocating for people to go to work, it sounds like he's describing what happens and why the actual mortality rate is probably closer to what South Korea is seeing than what China's numbers look like.

I mean I think this would have been a better statement if he hadn't randomly thrown in the comment about going to work because some people might interpret that as endorsement but to me this scans as a pretty accurate description of what's going on.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Probably more simple modern carelessness of anyone but himself than stupidity per se.
    On the other hand, the function that Typhoid Mike attended was for the business school, so maybe it'll all work out.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Update from the front

This may be total BS but my source tells me there will be a local gov't shutdown today to contain CVD.

Snohomish county WA. just north of Seattle. Population 800K.

Edit; If true it will hit the wire by noon.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-05-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List