Page 721 of 725 FirstFirst ... 221621671711719720721722723 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,210 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    Could you expound on the bolded part a little bit? I would have thought that influenza and covid-19 would not be an either/or choice, and that we could catch both at the same time. What's the physiology behind one crowding out the other? Or am I misreading your meaning?
    I want to be careful, but my working assumption is COVID typing is only occurring on presumptive positive samples. The program rolled out months ago and I am fuzzy in retrospect. I also think there is some variation state by state in the scopes.
    This is the national level outcomes...

Name:  E71CB799-513C-477D-8055-5AA287286FB4.jpeg
Views: 681
Size:  62.8 KB
    https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...nt-proportions

As for the issue of concomitant/simultainous infection of COVID & Influenza, I know of no documented cases. Whether the physiology allows concomitant infection is probably a fair complex issue and hard to determine either way. I would defer to experts on that issue.

Site Supporter
    Just transferred out a patient who was COVID positive after two doses of the Pfizer shot. Such a case was interesting in that while we occasionally see infections following a first dose (usually acquired before they were vaccinated).

Infections after both is definitely less common. Infections requiring hospitalization and certainly infections requiring critical care unit are highly unusual.

The common wisdom is that this patient was not reactive to the vaccine at all.

And yet...

A late 60s patient with underlying diabetes, Hypertension, and End Stage Renal Disease who presents to the critical care unit from the ER and immediately needs to be on 100% FiO2 on the BiPap plus 20ppm of inhaled nitric from the start? Ordinarily, that person doesn't recover in just ten days.

In fact, they usually don't recover at all. Or if they do, it's 30-50 days of suffering and misery.

Prevention of death from COVID is a big feature of the vaccines

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Just transferred out a patient who was COVID positive after two doses of the Pfizer shot. Such a case was interesting in that while we occasionally see infections following a first dose (usually acquired before they were vaccinated).

Infections after both is definitely less common. Infections requiring hospitalization and certainly infections requiring critical care unit are highly unusual.

The common wisdom is that this patient was not reactive to the vaccine at all.

And yet...

A late 60s patient with underlying diabetes, Hypertension, and End Stage Renal Disease who presents to the critical care unit from the ER and immediately needs to be on 100% FiO2 on the BiPap plus 20ppm of inhaled nitric from the start? Ordinarily, that person doesn't recover in just ten days.

In fact, they usually don't recover at all. Or if they do, it's 30-50 days of suffering and misery.

Prevention of death from COVID is a big feature of the vaccines

New strain/variant?

BTW, are you finding nitric to be useful?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    New strain/variant?

BTW, are you finding nitric to be useful?
    Possibly it's a different strain. My sense is the patient was perhaps more reactive to the vaccine than was previously thought.

But yeah we're finding nitric to be very useful for these patients as an additional supportive measure. Whether it'll turn the tables on a very sick patient I cannot say for sure, but we use it to buy ourselves a little more time so we can avoid intubation. And sometimes that is just enough.

Testing question: once you are fully vaccinated, is there a way to test whether you had a mild case sometime prior to vaccination, or will the vaccine response make it impossible to tell?

Got my 2nd moderna shot on Saturday and actually had fewer side effects than my 1st shot.

1st shot I had decent muscle soreness around the injection site for about 3 days. 2nd shot, soreness was less severe and only lasted about 1.5 days. No fever or chills.

I did have some muscle soreness in my back and what felt like my diaphragm for a couple days, but unsure if that was related to the vaccine or just my overall terrible posture while working from home all this time.

The patient population is getting younger.

——-
    After spending much of the past year tending to elderly patients, doctors are seeing a clear demographic shift: young and middle-aged adults make up a growing share of the patients in COVID-19 hospital wards.

Nationally, adults under 50 now account for the most hospitalized COVID-19 patients in the country — about 35% of all hospital admissions. Those age 50 to 64 account for the second-highest number of hospitalizations, or about 31%. Meanwhile, hospitalizations among adults over 65 have fallen significantly.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...younger-adults

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

——-
    After spending much of the past year tending to elderly patients, doctors are seeing a clear demographic shift: young and middle-aged adults make up a growing share of the patients in COVID-19 hospital wards.

Nationally, adults under 50 now account for the most hospitalized COVID-19 patients in the country — about 35% of all hospital admissions. Those age 50 to 64 account for the second-highest number of hospitalizations, or about 31%. Meanwhile, hospitalizations among adults over 65 have fallen significantly.

I would have thought that would have been somewhat expected due to the number of older folks being vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I would have thought that would have been somewhat expected due to the number of older folks being vaccinated.
    It is not a surprise. Most of the fully vaccinated are over 65. The problem is that younger folks don’t seem to take it as seriously, and with the newer strains that’s probably a bad idea.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

——-

The COVID unit I work at bears this out as well. The older folks are either vaccinated, recovered, disabled or dead.

Time for the youngsters to take their turn.

User Tag List