Page 697 of 725 FirstFirst ... 197597647687695696697698699707 ... LastLast
Results 6,961 to 6,970 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Looks like the reinfection risk is there with the new strains:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01...n-south-africa

"Almost all the cases that scientists have analyzed there so far were caused by the variant, known as B.1.351. The data also showed that many trial participants were infected with the variant even after they had already had Covid-19."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Interesting case. I am a serious person of faith, and I take God seriously when He told us to conquer nature. This includes using proper medical treatments to conquer it. Hope he gets better soon!

My brother and sister in law had it, and likely my niece. They (brother and sis in law) were given Ivermectin, and they seem to be doing fine now. Whether it was just the natural progression for their bodies, or if the Ivermectin helped, I do not know.
    Such churches do exist and are responsible for my entry into the medical field. My brother would have died at birth without the aid of a hospital, yet my church castigated my mother for seeking hospital care instead of just birthing at home like she did for the rest of us 5 kids.

So I am a man of faith but I get EXTREMELY touchy about churches and religions which try to shame their members for seeking out the most up to date medical care.

In my view these are churches that dangerously toe the line of "cult" and when my mother's church was put to the torch by a member of it's own congregation it is telling that nobody attempted to rebuild or re-form it.

Back on topic...I actually had some slightly bothersome symptoms after recovering from COVID such as a tickle in my throat that just didn't go away, laryngitis that limited how loudly I could talk, and when I got the COVID vaccine, it was absolutely gone in a day or two. Possibly unrelated, but who knows?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Such churches do exist and are responsible for my entry into the medical field. My brother would have died at birth without the aid of a hospital, yet my church castigated my mother for seeking hospital care instead of just birthing at home like she did for the rest of us 5 kids.

So I am a man of faith but I get EXTREMELY touchy about churches and religions which try to shame their members for seeking out the most up to date medical care.

In my view these are churches that dangerously toe the line of "cult" and when my mother's church was put to the torch by a member of it's own congregation it is telling that nobody attempted to rebuild or re-form it.

Back on topic...I actually had some slightly bothersome symptoms after recovering from COVID such as a tickle in my throat that just didn't go away, laryngitis that limited how loudly I could talk, and when I got the COVID vaccine, it was absolutely gone in a day or two. Possibly unrelated, but who knows?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

We agree on the church issue. Places like that are an embarrassment to religion.

From Wildfire Today, https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/01/27...fter-covid-19/ discusses long term impact from mild to moderate cases of covid in fire fighters.

Fire Engineering is a reputable publication that has always done well at cutting through the BS and getting useful information out to the industry. They hosted an online conference to discuss what they're seeing in fire fighters who got infected, and how to evaluate when they're good to go back to work. The video is 91 minutes long, and I haven't watched the whole thing yet. Wildfire Today posted the following excerpt:

"If you can’t spare 91 minutes, at least watch Dr. Tim Harris, Chief Medical Officer at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, Denton, Texas explain how the disease affects firefighters, from 9:40 to about 19:00. I transcribed some of the highlights from that section:

The difficulty with this disease is, with your young and vibrant workforce, you probably will have either mild or asymptomatic disease. Even within that mild or asymptomatic cohort, we’re seeing 30 to 50 percent of people with long term residual issues that when you stress them physiologically or mentally you’re going to see some degree of impairment.

The primary impairment is because the ace receptors on your lung and heart, we’re seeing people with lung fibrosis. You can’t breathe. The scarring is permanent, irreversible, and can only be treated with a lung transplant… But the cardiac impairment, 30 percent of athletes that develop COVID have long term cardiomyopathy — you develop heart muscle damage where the heart can’t pump as hard as it normally does so you develop systolic heart failure, or you have arrhythmia.

The other one that is also somewhat worrisome is the neurological impairment. And that goes to judgment. And judgment is very important in your job. You don’t want these people entering a structure fire with an impairment, whether it’s cardiac, pulmonary, or neurological… You want the brains, heart, and lung working so they can do their job.

Testing positive for the coronavirus could mean the end of a firefighter’s career. We don’t know what all of the long term effects are going to be, but irreversible lung damage is occurring now in some patients.

Much of the discussion was about, “How do we know what the path back to work is, are we looking at the right data,” said Russel Burnham a PA-C who treats firefighters at Front Line Mobile Health. “Asking ‘Are you OK’, is not the best method to determine if someone is fully recovered.”
    "

So, medical and science PFers: do these numbers look plausible? Does his stated mechanism sound right?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    From Wildfire Today, https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/01/27...fter-covid-19/ discusses long term impact from mild to moderate cases of covid in fire fighters.

Fire Engineering is a reputable publication that has always done well at cutting through the BS and getting useful information out to the industry. They hosted an online conference to discuss what they're seeing in fire fighters who got infected, and how to evaluate when they're good to go back to work. The video is 91 minutes long, and I haven't watched the whole thing yet. Wildfire Today posted the following excerpt:

"If you can’t spare 91 minutes, at least watch Dr. Tim Harris, Chief Medical Officer at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, Denton, Texas explain how the disease affects firefighters, from 9:40 to about 19:00. I transcribed some of the highlights from that section:

The difficulty with this disease is, with your young and vibrant workforce, you probably will have either mild or asymptomatic disease. Even within that mild or asymptomatic cohort, we’re seeing 30 to 50 percent of people with long term residual issues that when you stress them physiologically or mentally you’re going to see some degree of impairment.

The primary impairment is because the ace receptors on your lung and heart, we’re seeing people with lung fibrosis. You can’t breathe. The scarring is permanent, irreversible, and can only be treated with a lung transplant… But the cardiac impairment, 30 percent of athletes that develop COVID have long term cardiomyopathy — you develop heart muscle damage where the heart can’t pump as hard as it normally does so you develop systolic heart failure, or you have arrhythmia.

The other one that is also somewhat worrisome is the neurological impairment. And that goes to judgment. And judgment is very important in your job. You don’t want these people entering a structure fire with an impairment, whether it’s cardiac, pulmonary, or neurological… You want the brains, heart, and lung working so they can do their job.

Testing positive for the coronavirus could mean the end of a firefighter’s career. We don’t know what all of the long term effects are going to be, but irreversible lung damage is occurring now in some patients.

Much of the discussion was about, “How do we know what the path back to work is, are we looking at the right data,” said Russel Burnham a PA-C who treats firefighters at Front Line Mobile Health. “Asking ‘Are you OK’, is not the best method to determine if someone is fully recovered.”
    "

So, medical and science PFers: do these numbers look plausible? Does his stated mechanism sound right?
    The clinical stuff is not my area of expertise, but the paragraphs quoted agree with my understanding of the long term effects. I think monitoring of athletes at Ohio State is where they spotted the cardiac issues. I'm not sure how you'd get lung fibrosis if the infection is limited to the upper respiratory tract, but it's definitely a thing in some people who get pneumonia. A good friend of mine is a neurologist and according to her the cognitive issues are real and persist beyond resolution of acute infection.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post

60 Minutes did an episode on the same thing. Well, not specific to firefighters but the residual impairments/infirmity all sound very familiar. If I recall correctly their episode used different sources, mainly in NYC.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Right up there with Table Saw Amputees.
    I personally know two people who cut off the tips of fingers with circular saws. One was a guy who had been a carpenter. When I use ours, my paranoia level goes up even higher than it is when I handle firearms.

But back to the thread: When we go out to the store, we were using surgical masks or triple-layer cotton masks.

My roomie's daughter gave her some N95s. I imagine they work really well (I don't get any fogging of my glasses), but I feel as though I have to inhale open-mouthed to suck in ehough air. We ordered some K95s and will try them. I'll probably also try putting a cloth mask over a surgical one.

The hardest thing is keeping a good attitude. We both would love to go out for a sit-down meal. But we both know that taking precautions is sort of like the old joke about the guy who built a thousand bridges.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 01-29-2021 at 08:40 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The fire service is a good opportunity to get solid before vs after data. NFPA and I think OSHA regs require annual lung function tests and spirometry due to SCBA use. In Nevada, we have a presumptive heart/lung law which means certain lung and cardiac problems are presumed to be from your work. Because of this, we have annual EKG up to age 40 and treadmill EKG annually after 40. If .gov and the fire fighters will come up with a non-punitive way to compare the data we could learn a lot from a wide range of ages, lifestyles, other pre-existing conditions, etc. OTOH if personnel believe that allowing access to their personal health information could lead to loss of a job, well, that won't go so well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I personally know two people who cut off the tips of fingers with circular saws. One was a guy who had been a carpenter. When I use ours, my paranoia level goes up even higher than it is when I handle firearms.
    Same here on all three counts. I'd love a Sawstop saw, but I can't justify $1700 for a saw I use once every 5 years or so.

Chris

Site Supporter
    If COVID is as bad as it is portrayed to be, seems like there would be more US and International pressure on CCP. China purposely or accidentally released a bio-weapon on the world and caused enormous human suffering. At a minimum, they were not forthcoming on COVID such that the world could prepare. Why is China being given a pass?

User Tag List