Page 686 of 725 FirstFirst ... 186586636676684685686687688696 ... LastLast
Results 6,851 to 6,860 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by karandom View Post
    Sorry to hear that @pangloss.

Unfortunately it looks like my uncle might pass from COVID. He was infected a few weeks back and given his medial history was given monoclonal antibody treatment in the hospital and was able to go home. He encountered breathing issues that worsened and had to be readmitted to the hospital about a week later with pneumonia. He required constant supplemental oxygen and his levels still dropped slowly over time. We just found out last night he was going to need a vent which he decided to decline. It sounds like the outcome wasn't good regardless and he didn't want to die vented. He was started on morphine for end of life comfort care. He is 69 and one of my favorite uncles who loves cars and tech and always shared those passions with me when I was a kid.
    I'm very sorry to hear that. A physician friend of mine in another state said that in her hospital, nobody in my uncle's age range (80s) that she knows about has survived the ventilator. It's an awful decision to have to make, and I'm sorry that anyone has to. I hope they can keep your uncle relatively comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    My mom went in to the hospital with a horrific GI bleed on 12/19; she was projectile vomiting clotted blood all over her bed and room. We got her ambulanced off, and the ER staff was unable to ascertain the source of the bleed, but she tested positive for COVID, so they immediately put her on a course of Remdesivir. She was there for 6 days, and sent home - still contagious- for me to take care of. (the day a snowstorm swept through, of course.) Supplemental oxygen from a concentrator machine worked for 4-5 days, 2 liters keeping her sats at >90%. She started to crash after that, and I ended up having to bring the oxygen flow up to 5 L through her nasal cannula to keep the same saturation. After a couple of downright scary episodes with falling and losing consciousness I called the cavalry in, and she went from the ER to to the local COVID-specialty hospital in St Paul. She's been there for 9 days, and after a bunch of ups & downs between oxy masks and high-flow cannula at 45 L/min, is finally back on a regular cannula. "Ground Glass" is present bilaterally on both upper and lower lobes.
    She has COPD, emphysema & asthma, heart issues, and a fair bit of arterial damage, including a fully blocked ischemic artery with natural bypasses having grown.

The Occupational Medicine folks did PT a couple days back which both thrashed her spinal nerves (she was supposed to get spinal surgery on 12/14 for rheumatoid arthritis-narrowed spinal column in vertebrae L4 & L5, including fusion) to the point where she needed morphine to bring things down to a dull roar, and then sent her into intermittent delirium, so I get the nightmare of my mom calling me in the middle of the night convinced that the doctors and nurses are trying to kill her and I need to break her out.

These last 4 weeks have stunk on ice.

Thankfully, her GI bleed has not recurred, so for now, it seems like weird COVID voodoo.
    That sounds about as bad as it can be. Even after the virus is gone, it makes such a mess that getting everything back in some semblance of order can take the body quite a while. I really hope you get some good news soon.

My uncle was worse Sunday morning. His oxygen saturation was back in the 80s. A neighbor who had COVID a couple of months ago stopped in to check on him and just happened to bring an oxygen tank along. The neighbor convinced him to go to the ER, and I think even drove my uncle. ("Neighbor" is accurate, but the word really doesn't do justice to the longstanding connection between our families. I've personally known five generations of this family, one of whom taught my dad to shoot and left me the M1 Garand that is my gun safe right now.) In any case, there were no hospital beds to be had nearby, so he got a three hour ambulance ride across state. I don't know how long he'll be there or what his status is now. Earlier today there was mention of convalescent plasma or remdesivir or some other treatment. As far as I know, my aunt is not symptomatic yet. It'll be a miracle if she doesn't get sick too. Her daughter and son-in-law are enroute now, and I'm hopeful that they can positively affect the situation and ease the decision fatigue of her parents.

Jeeze, the hits just keep on coming.

Mom developed a blood clot (Thanks, COVID) that *completely* hosed her right leg. She was transferred back to U of M Med Center, and is getting her leg amputated tomorrow in hopes of saving her life.
    There is a huge chance the surgery will flatline her; she's that compromised that they have to do the deed under a nerve block rather than general sedation. And she's in so much pain it is absolutely crushing to see her, even on a computer screen. My pediatric surgical nurse daughter is almost gobsmacked at the progression.

*Anyone mind if I take this last beer?*

To everyone else dealing with this awful situation, please know you have my utmost respect and best wishes for a gentle resolution.

@pangloss, I only hit "like" because we don't have a "oh, f#&k, not you, too" button.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Oh Jesus, man, I'm so sorry to hear that; please take care of yourself.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Sorry Lex, that's awful. Hang in there.

Site Supporter
    Prayers for the suffering (including family) and the souls who have passed on.

Site Supporter
    Oh no. Lex and Pangloss, I’m so sorry to hear that. Hoping for the best for you and your families.

Site Supporter
    Lex, So sorry. Prayers.

So sorry Lex and Pangloss it's so unjust for people to spend so many decades on this planet and in society just to have this devastating shit torture them. My thoughts and prayers are with you all and your loved ones.

Site Supporter
    Damn, my thoughts are with all you guys and your families.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Strength and prayers for your mom, Corey.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List