Page 664 of 725 FirstFirst ... 164564614654662663664665666674714 ... LastLast
Results 6,631 to 6,640 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Heck, if you go back 2 decades or so ago, pre-ARDSnet, the mortality would be significantly higher.
    Yup, a lot more barotrauma and tons of IVF going right into the lungs

Site Supporter
    On the flip-side of my last post, in 1918 the lack of medical care also meant that we didn’t have nearly the population of elderly folks with pre-existing conditions for covid to kill.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    In MI, the gyms are open but everyone keeps their masks on their entire face and go out of their way to maintain physical distancing as they go about their exercises. At the YMCA in Winston Salem 2 days ago, I watched as one guy spotted another doing bench presses and yelled encouragements - both with their masks under their chins.
    I wish our gyms were open in Washington. They were open up until November 15 here, and I really felt like most people were being careful at the gym I went to. Scheduled appointments, very limited capacity and masks had to be worn unless engaged in hard exercise while maintaining distancing. I pretty much wore my mask all the time, as did most, except for quick breaks away from other people.

I certainly don't minimize the severity of the illness, but my feeling is that not having gyms open, with limitations in place, is a serious risk to both mental health and physical health during November-February. I wouldn't partake in a spin class, but weightlifting or being on a treadmill with strict capacity limits, distancing, good ventilation and masking seems pretty safe.

Fortunately pools are still open (for now), so despite being a lousy swimmer, I can go splash around and get cardio (generally in a warm water pool by myself, fortunately). But that isn't for everyone, and only so many people can do that at a time.

Site Supporter

Coronavirus thread

The number of Covid cases being treated at my daughter’s large California hospital is up 53% from last week [emoji15]

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    On the flip-side of my last post, in 1918 the lack of medical care also meant that we didn’t have nearly the population of elderly folks with pre-existing conditions for covid to kill.
    The ratio might not be what you think. There was a pretty massive die off of the young folks around that time...related both to WWI and the fact that Spanish flu primarily killed the young and left the elderly alone.

The war was the primary mechanism by which that pandemic spread after all.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Damn. Just found out that an acquaintance of ours has died from COVID. Was out doing things like skydiving, hiking, and cooking turkey for immediate family up through thanksgiving, posting to FB like normal up through Dec 3rd (we are friends on FB), was dead by the 9th. Sobering. Her Husband is still in the ICU with the virus. Not much older than I am, too. Most def an eye-opener for folks in my community.

Totally an Odds/Stakes thing.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-męme, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Damn. Just found out that an acquaintance of ours has died from COVID. Was out doing things like skydiving, hiking, and cooking turkey for immediate family up through thanksgiving, posting to FB like normal up through Dec 3rd (we are friends on FB), was dead by the 9th. Sobering. Her Husband is still in the ICU with the virus. Not much older than I am, too. Most def an eye-opener for folks in my community.

Totally an Odds/Stakes thing.
    Sorry to hear that. It is pretty incredible how varied the effects of this can be. That is one of the things that bothers me the most, we still seem to know so little.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Also everyone that required CRRT/ECMO/etc
    acronym breakout would be helpful for the normies here. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    acronym breakout would be helpful for the normies here. Thank you.
    CRRT-Continous Renal Replacement Thearapy.

Basically a 24/7 dialysis machine, as opposed to regular dialysis which is a few times a week for a few hours at a time (very situational dependant as to how often and how long)

ECMO- ExtraCorporeal Membrane Oxygenation.

Pumping blood outside of the body to a machine which oxygenates it. Bypass lungs and/or heart depending on how it’s set up.

User Tag List