Page 647 of 725 FirstFirst ... 147547597637645646647648649657697 ... LastLast
Results 6,461 to 6,470 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'm beginning to think it's a kind of mal-adaptive coping mechanism. "This is a scary existentialist threat and I don't have the scientific literacy to understand the conflicting information thrown at me, so I'm going to choose to believe it's a hoax."

It's the adult equivalent of hiding under the covers because then the monster in your closet can't find you.
    I think there's a hell of a lot of truth to this. Lot of people don't know how to handle a problem that you can't put a fist or a bullet into.

God bless your mom and sister. They're heroes and I pray they get through this ok.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'm beginning to think it's a kind of mal-adaptive coping mechanism. "This is a scary existentialist threat and I don't have the scientific literacy to understand the conflicting information thrown at me, so I'm going to choose to believe it's a hoax."

It's the adult equivalent of hiding under the covers because then the monster in your closet can't find you.
    I think this is exactly what's going on. Although I think there's a contributing factor of the insane political polarization in the US where every single issue has become a question of party loyalty.

I suspect that's the reason either extreme is rare here. We have a handful of legitimate anti-maskers, but they're rare.

We have a handful of "don't leave your house"ers too, but they're also rare.

The Canadian spectrum of opinion on this is a really steep-sided bell curve. I can't imagine someone here genuinely believing that c19 is a hoax and wanting to know "what's REALLY wrong with my mom". That's surreal. I'm a bit blase about it myself but it seems pretty impossible that people aren't dying from it in fairly large numbers and that the mortality rate is at least five or six times worse than a typical flu year, maybe more.

I mean I get the whole "media pumping this for ratings" thing, that's definitely true. But it's also a serious disease that seems very contagious.

Good luck to your mom.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    The negative tests are comforting, but she's not out of the woods at six days. I think the guidelines may have changed since last summer, but I pretty much kept to myself for two weeks after my July exposure. Regardless, I hope the next week is completely uneventful for her.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Contact tracing results .... Wednesday friend got it from a family member at Thanksgiving the next day... Thursday friend got it from someone on board a private/charter aircraft the day after Thanksgiving. Apparently everyone on board had been tested.... before Thanksgiving. Masks not worn on board. No feedback yet on how many others were afflicted. Many had already had it (college kids), so, hopefully few.

We're back to just "regular" paranoia here.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    We’re at a 35% positivity rate for testing in Alabama for the last 7 days and all the Thanksgiving cases probably haven’t began to show symptoms yet. I doubt any case increase is going to change people’s behaviors for Christmas and New Years.

ETA: were at 1,800 hospitalized at the moment, but I’ll be curious to see those numbers in two more weeks
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    I've met no one who thinks it's a hoax, but there are many, with loud voices, who think it is the end of the world.

My predication is history will look back on this as a great panic, but I could be wrong. I continue to live my life as normal as I am allowed to, and hope for the best in regard to the sick and those affected by the lockdown.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I've met no one who thinks it's a hoax, but there are many, with loud voices, who think it is the end of the world.

My predication is history will look back on this as a great panic, but I could be wrong. I continue to live my life as normal as I am allowed to, and hope for the best in regard to the sick and those affected by the lockdown.
    With close to 300,000 Americans dead from COVID-19 and (at present) a daily casualty rate of ~2500, there's a reasonable chance that COVID-19 will have killed more people in 12 months than all opiate overdoses combined over the past 20 years (450k).

Site Supporter
    Pfizer plans to roll out half of originally planned vaccines due to supply-chain problems

Pfizer had hoped to roll out 100M vaccines world-wide by end of this year

“Scaling up the raw material supply chain took longer than expected,” a company spokeswoman said. “And it’s important to highlight that the outcome of the clinical trial was somewhat later than the initial projection.

<snip>

“We were late,” said a person directly involved in the development of the Pfizer vaccine. “Some early batches of the raw materials failed to meet the standards. We fixed it, but ran out of time to meet this year’s projected shipments.”
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Contact tracing results .... Wednesday friend got it from a family member at Thanksgiving the next day... Thursday friend got it from someone on board a private/charter aircraft the day after Thanksgiving. Apparently everyone on board had been tested.... before Thanksgiving. Masks not worn on board. No feedback yet on how many others were afflicted. Many had already had it (college kids), so, hopefully few.

We're back to just "regular" paranoia here.
    What moron wouldn’t wear a mask flying with non household members, even on a charter?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    With close to 300,000 Americans dead from COVID-19 and (at present) a daily casualty rate of ~2500, there's a reasonable chance that COVID-19 will have killed more people in 12 months than all opiate overdoses combined over the past 20 years (450k).
    I'm not sure if I should describe this counterpoint as "uplifting" or "disturbing" but here, our opioid deaths are almost exactly 3x our COVID deaths.

469 people of Covid in BC
    1386 fatal opioid overdoses

The good news is our covid fatalities are minimal...the bad news is our opioid deaths are terrible.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    What moron wouldn’t wear a mask flying with non household members, even on a charter?
    Management and co-workers at my wife's job.

User Tag List