Page 644 of 725 FirstFirst ... 144544594634642643644645646654694 ... LastLast
Results 6,431 to 6,440 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    I had an Ag Law professor a couple decades ago, his name was Leon Geyer if anyone wants to fact check me and see if I was in fact in college at one point () who made it his business to teach his students a "song" on the first day of intro class.

Imagine a big guy, round, not tall, big happy smile on his face standing at the front of your classroom. You don't know what to expect, you transferred into VA Tech from a community college and this is one of your first classes within your major. Everybody gets seated and he goes, "My name is Leon Geyer. I'm your Ag Law professor and I want to start out the class by teaching you this little ditty. If you forget everything else I teach you during your time here, remember this."

He puts his hands up on his imaginary air guitar, clears his throat, pretends to get his guitar tuned just so, and then in a flat, not-really-singing voice, while strumming his air guitar, he goes, "Just because it's wrote down, don't mean it's true."

You decide you'll probably like college a lot.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Mixing up the threads here, I had an Iranian math professor start the semester by saying, "So... I'm glad none of you have any other classes this semester." I learned a lot. It was good.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    The origination was a 45 minute lecture by an economics Professor.

I watched it now, so you don't have to!

She actually just ignores the total number; she doesn't say either 2.5 or 2.8 million. She doesn't look at yearly totals at all.

Instead she chooses to only look at individual weeks. It doesn't seem to me like it went wrong by looking at the wrong data, it seems like the main problem was framing of data as per week, such that she can ignore the weeks where total deaths were abnormally high. And because by breaking it into smaller chunks, the excess per week just seems lower than if she was looking monthly or yearly.

She seems knowledgeable enough. But it seems clear why she framed it that way when sanity-checking with the yearly totals was so trivially obvious.
    Thank you. That's a bizarre step to skip; if that's the whole explanation, then it's hard for me to understand why Briand would feel it's a useful analysis to present to anyone.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    My wife tested positive yesterday.

She was exposed by being in the room in a meeting with a person that was infected and was not showing symptoms for about an hour on the 10th. No physical contact exposure although neither were wearing masks. She is fairly certain that she sanitized her hands after leaving the meeting which is her habit but she is not sure. The person in question started showing symptoms over the weekend (lost sense of taste/smell) and she came home from work in the morning of 14th as a precaution but otherwise felt fine. She began feeling bad with some muscle pain and a low grade fever on the 15th but otherwise no symptoms. The vector's test results came in on the 16th as positive and she felt a little worse so she scheduled a test for the 17th.

She felt better on the 17th and debated getting tested since she felt "normal" but went ahead and got tested anyway. On the 18th she started feeling worse and her low grade fever came back and she had diarrhea. She was working from home and just quit, because she didn't feel good. That is really odd for her because she works at home all the time.

Then on the morning of the 19th she lost her sense of smell completely and then most of her sense of taste. She noted that she could not smell her lemon scented hand soap. Then she took a noticeable turn for the worse. Her fever was 100.1 and was extremely tired with a sore throat. She started sneezing and coughing on everything in the house. She just wanted to sleep. This continued through until the morning of the 21st when she got her results back. She did not have a fever most of the 21st. She has been feeling better and hopefully won't have a 3rd round.

I am apparently either immune or asymptomatic, since I have been cooped up with her in the house with no social distancing since the 12th other than her going to work for a couple of hours on the 14th. I did have a bout of diarrhea on the 12th but otherwise have felt completely normal although my sense of smell seems to be MORE sensitive than normal. But it might be because I am paying more attention than normal looking for symptoms but I have really been noticing how every stinks. Unlike Spiderman who got bitten by a radioactive spider and gained spider senses, I was sneezed on by a Chinese bat flu infected wife and gained the ability to smell a stinky shit from 2 rooms away.

Both of us are in our 40's without any comorbidities. If any of the medical professionals would like more detailed medical histories/details please feel free to PM me.

Just thought it would be an interesting 1st person interaction story for the group.
    Just thought I would update.

My wife has regained her sense of smell and taste and has no other remaining effects other than she is losing an abnormal amount of hair. It is concerning to her, doesn't really bother me, other than having to clean out the drains she keeps stopping up. Apparently this isn't an abnormal situation.

On my side of things, I gave blood last week and my blood tested negative for antibodies.

From my understanding, it could mean that my body may not have had a strong enough immune response to generate long lasting antibodies or it could mean that I am extremely lucky at avoiding the virus or that my wife was not shedding virus when infected.

So I may not be Matt Damon.

Glad to hear she's doing better and you're both ok!

Also glad to hear you're not Matt Damon

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Glad to hear she's doing better and you're both ok!

Also glad to hear you're not Matt Damon
    That's the biggest relief in the thread.

This article is light on facts and methods but, if accurate, it seems to imply that targeted controls work better than hard lockdowns, but we don't know, from this article, exactly what they were.

Switzerland halves new infections without national lockdown as pubs and restaurants stay open
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    This article is light on facts and methods but, if accurate, it seems to imply that targeted controls work better than hard lockdowns, but we don't know, from this article, exactly what they were.

Switzerland halves new infections without national lockdown as pubs and restaurants stay open
    Rather than ordering a general lockdown, Switzerland allowed regions to decide their own measures and only the worst-hit imposed tough restrictions. But critics have charged that the success came at too high a price, after the country experienced some of the highest death rates in Europe.
    I don't see how this is any different than what has been happening in the United States (State and cities imposing their own restrictions vs the federal gov't), which has not been terribly effective to date.

J
    Switzerland has been described as the “new Sweden” after it refused to follow the UK and other countries into a second lockdown this month. The Swiss government imposed only minimal restrictions at a national level, including a limit of ten on private gatherings, an 11pm curfew for restaurants and the compulsory use of facemasks in crowded areas.
    That is already far more restrictive than anything that the US federal government has ordered AFAIK

Site Supporter
    Daughter reported this morning that 2 of her friends tested positive. One yesterday, one today (got both calls today). She spent time with the first one this past Wednesday. Spent time with the second one on Thanksgiving. First one entirely outside, mostly masked, except for some time across a table drinking coffee outside. Second was mostly outside but also in a car, masked. Second friend had been tested the day before (Wednesday before TG holiday) as part of a university athletics program. Daughter was worried that she was the link between the two, and worried for us as well.

After shitting a brick for a few hours her rapid test came back negative. 6 days and 5 days post contact should be reliable from what I understand?

We'll use this as an opportunity to reinforce COVID protocols (that seemed to have been effective in this case) with both kids.

Too close for comfort.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Daughter reported this morning that 2 of her friends tested positive. One yesterday, one today (got both calls today). She spent time with the first one this past Wednesday. Spent time with the second one on Thanksgiving. First one entirely outside, mostly masked, except for some time across a table drinking coffee outside. Second was mostly outside but also in a car, masked. Second friend had been tested the day before (Wednesday before TG holiday) as part of a university athletics program. Daughter was worried that she was the link between the two, and worried for us as well.

After shitting a brick for a few hours her rapid test came back negative. 6 days and 5 days post contact should be reliable from what I understand?

We'll use this as an opportunity to reinforce COVID protocols (that seemed to have been effective in this case) with both kids.

Too close for comfort.
    The negative tests are comforting, but she's not out of the woods at six days. I think the guidelines may have changed since last summer, but I pretty much kept to myself for two weeks after my July exposure. Regardless, I hope the next week is completely uneventful for her.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

User Tag List