Page 625 of 725 FirstFirst ... 125525575615623624625626627635675 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,250 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    I am not.
    It's obvious that you do not have multiple friends who are fellowship trained, board certified infectious disease physicians that believe COVID-19 is "blown way out of proportion." I don't understand why you feel the need to lie to make your point, but it is a little sad.

Since then I go with real experts not General Practiniors. Maybe you need to talk to doctors as HHS and ones that do this stuff overseas with Ebola and the like. I believe them over people in their cozy offices day in and day out.
    You really don't know what you're talking about. I am embarrassed for you.

I am not. You need to remember there is more than one way to defeat a virus. I gave doctors that I use as a basis and they think it’s overblown unless you have other issues and the one common part is being sedentary.
    ? I walk my wiener dog nearly every day at least once, can still work out, walks/jogs/bikerides, and still go to matches.

Site Supporter
    I am sincerely curious - if Covid is so bad - why are not all the employees at grocery stores, Walmart, etc. dead?

This thread reminds me of why we don’t have SME’s like @SLG and @Dagga Boy posting here anymore.

I am not. You need to remember there is more than one way to defeat a virus. I gave doctors that I use as a basis and they think it’s overblown unless you have other issues and the one common part is being sedentary. So you do you. I am Not going to be living in fear because doctors want to be Gods and be know it all’s when they gave me like 6 meds when I hust had the normal fucking flu but the meds made me sicker because they thought it was something else. Since then I go with real experts not General Practiniors. Maybe you need to talk to doctors as HHS and ones that do this stuff overseas with Ebola and the like. I believe them over people in their cozy offices day in and day out.
    Why are you going to a general practice doc to begin with? Do you live in an underserved area?

How do you get to the "real experts" without going thru your PCP? I use experts also but my insurance won't pay a cent unless I go thru my PCP who is internal medicine doc. I can't even see a surgeon without his referral.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I am sincerely curious - if Covid is so bad - why are not all the employees at grocery stores, Walmart, etc. dead?
    Christmas bonus?
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-17-2020 at 03:44 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    I am going for a run so I can travel to eat Turkey with the fam. I know I am evil but fuck I am not going to be locked down because some stupid doctor who "practices" medicine vice talking with my Infectious disease doctor friends that said this is blown out of proportion and we need to open up gyms because obesity and covid is actually worse than if you are healthy. I guess I need to be scared because XYZ liberal media tells me so instead of taking care of myself. You do you and I will do me. No issue.
    Please?
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....olitics-Thread
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

For large segments of the population (healthy, younger), the odds of a bad outcomes with COVID are low. That said, there are some outcomes we'd all like to avoid, such as death, long term physical impairment and mental impacts which have been seen in the data. However, for other segments obviously COVID is very high risk, such as immunocompromised or elderly.

Even if you are okay with the stakes for yourself or don't care about the high risk population, the issue is if we let it burn through the population freely, you overburden the hospital systems, so tons of people die from COVID that could have been otherwise treated. Also, if you have no beds or doctors, anyone that gas a heart attack, stroke, serious accident, cancer, etc all cannot get treated either so their outcomes also suffer. Even in more minor cases, I know of one person that had to delay surgery and PT after a bike accident due to lack of medical resources during the COVID peak in spring in NYC, and when they were finally seen they were pissed because there was long term nerve and ligament damage due to the delay that could have otherwise been 100% avoided if the medical system was working as usual.

Site Supporter
    Honestly not seeing the risk based on the constant drama. I care about the elderly - my dad passed in January (pre-Covid) at 94 and wife and I are 60. I do not see the "risk" to the vast majority per the constant drama - if you are elderly and have other risk factors by all means stay home, take precautions.

I do lean toward 1) Covid is being used as a weapon against Trump, 2) Covid is being used to deny Liberties to Americans, 3) there is a double standard as in politicians can go to gatherings but citizens cannot, politicians can travel to Hawaii for meetings but citizens should not, "peaceful protests" are ok but religious events are not.

If this makes me a tin foil guy then guess I am guilty.

If we are this scared of COVID then we should stop driving cars, quit drinking, quit smoking, quit eating tasty food, etc.

Honestly not seeing the risk based on the constant drama. I care about the elderly - my dad passed in January (pre-Covid) at 94 and wife and I are 60. I do not see the "risk" to the vast majority per the constant drama - if you are elderly and have other risk factors by all means stay home, take precautions.
    First, I want to make it clear that I did not mean to imply you didn't care about the elderly, so I want to apologize on that front. I meant the hypothetical scenario of ignoring any consideration for high risk populations in making the risk assessment.

I do think that having high-risk populations self-segregate that maybe could have been an option that would possibly allow us to avoid overburdening the medical system. However, even with very low rates of complications for lower risk populations, with exponential growth I suspect that we'd still run out of beds. This is just a hunch, since humans are really bad at intuitively understanding exponential growth, but I can run some back of the envelope math to see if this is even remotely plausible if you'd like.

I do lean toward 1) Covid is being used as a weapon against Trump, 2) Covid is being used to deny Liberties to Americans, 3) there is a double standard as in politicians can go to gatherings but citizens cannot, politicians can travel to Hawaii for meetings but citizens should not, "peaceful protests" are ok but religious events are not.

If this makes me a tin foil guy then guess I am guilty.
    I don't really disagree. The biggest problem is both "sides" were arguing and blaming each other, instead of using the time during the initial lockdown to set up the infrastructure to get us back to normal that didn't involve putting all of our eggs into either herd immunity or a virus. And we haven't really considered the negatives of a full lockdown such as increased suicide.

If we are this scared of COVID then we should stop driving cars, quit drinking, quit smoking, quit eating tasty food, etc.
    Alternatively, these could all be viewed as examples demonstrating that we're really bad at assessing risk or making decisions that are negative expected value in the long run.

I still think for most people in the low risk category, the biggest upfront risks are (1) low probability but high stakes out come of severe and long lasting psychological and physical effects, and (2) no hospital resources being available should something happen such as getting into a serious car accident.

User Tag List