Page 618 of 725 FirstFirst ... 118518568608616617618619620628668718 ... LastLast
Results 6,171 to 6,180 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    By contrast, we lost about 40 million person years to abortion in the same period.

Too bad there’s not a vaccine for that.
    Easily accessible birth control, social programs, and education all help with that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Easily accessible birth control, social programs, and education all help with that.
    Prevention. Termination
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Prevention. Termination
    Are you arguing that prevention of pregnancy does not equal termination of pregnancy? I agree.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    Here ya go:

From the Harvard Med School study linked below:

"Elledge has estimated that as of early October 2020, more than 2.5 million person-years of life have been lost due to the pandemic, in just the US alone.

This corresponds to an average loss of 13.25 person-years for each COVID-19-related death, he says.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...-COVID-19.aspx
    It'll be interesting to see if this turns out to be accurate. Maybe you're getting really different effects down there, I'm not sure. But here the average age of people dying from COVID is 86; hard to imagine that most of them would have lived to be 100.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Back when I was a cop, I would feel this particular sort of frustration when I was off-duty in my normal person clothing, and some Portlandia denizen would explain to me that the cops wouldn't have to shoot anybody if they would just "de-escalate."

I bet you feel that same kind of frustration when it comes to medical stuff.
    Given that at the very beginning of this thread I predicted that COVID would be no big deal, it's hard for me to be married to the notion that I know better than other people...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Back when I was a cop, I would feel this particular sort of frustration when I was off-duty in my normal person clothing, and some Portlandia denizen would explain to me that the cops wouldn't have to shoot anybody if they would just "de-escalate."

I bet you feel that same kind of frustration when it comes to medical stuff.

This is true, and I understand your point and sentiment, but there is another side to it.

It would be analogous to someone telling you information about effective LE practices that they learned from a qualified member of the LE community. It's not some random notion they cooked up of the top of their head from watching Third Watch. It's information they learned from an appropriate source.

The same applies to disagreement with doctors in this thread, and the other thread about Covid.

It's been interesting watching what my parents, who are in their 70's, are reacting to this. They're basically making no changes to what they do, as they figure they only have so many active years left, and would rather do what they can while they can still so stuff, instead of hiding out and waiting for this to go away.

Contrast to their friends, who are hiding out in their house, doing nothing, and not seeing anyone.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    By contrast, we lost about 40 million person years to abortion in the same period.

Too bad there’s not a vaccine for that.
    I'm not sure what you're getting it there.

Is your point that refuse you to care about any preventable mass death event that loses less than 40 million life years?
    Or that you refuse to care about Pandemic deaths until abortion is outlawed?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's been interesting watching what my parents, who are in their 70's, are reacting to this. They're basically making no changes to what they do, as they figure they only have so many active years left, and would rather do what they can while they can still so stuff, instead of hiding out and waiting for this to go away.

Contrast to their friends, who are hiding out in their house, doing nothing, and not seeing anyone.
    This is exactly how my parents are responding...and they both come from very long-lived families, lots of centenarians on both sides so it's not like they don't have much skin in the game. And my mom is down a kidney already and is moderately overweight...but still, they're both shrugging and carrying on, on the grounds that they both prefer gambling a bit to living in fear.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    I'm not sure what you're getting it there.

Is your point that refuse you to care about any preventable mass death event that loses less than 40 million life years?
    Or that you refuse to care about Pandemic deaths until abortion is outlawed?
    No, the pandemic is bad and I take it seriously and am doing my part. Far worse things happen all the time, but that doesn’t make the pandemic insignificant. I do think it’s a lot easier to solve than abortion.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List