Page 615 of 725 FirstFirst ... 115515565605613614615616617625665715 ... LastLast
Results 6,141 to 6,150 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

My mom texted me this afternoon, and my dad tested COVID-positive today. Probably means that she'll get it too, if she's not already infected. Not worrying too much, but they are senior citizens now, though they don't have any major health issues. :sigh:

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    That is exactly how protocols work at the private U I teach at. Honestly, from my insider view of things, nobody will say boo if your daughter pulls out early and comes home at the end of next week. Anything of real note happening on M and Tu of Thanksgiving week will also be happening via zoom. I’d seriously consider just packing FTF coursework in next Friday; save a week of exposure at the cost of 2 days class that the profs are trying to mitigate too. JMO.
    There are a few options at her school. Go home for Thanksgiving then come back, go home stay home and finally stay on campus during Thanksgiving. My daughter really enjoys being on campus with her friends. I'm sure she doesn't want to leave until Thanksgiving. However if she were to get sent to the isolation dorm again I'm sure she would want to leave campus immediately. The school requests anyone who lives less than 200 miles from campus to leave rather than isolating.

The school's schedule really makes leaving and not returning the best option for someone like her since we are 500 miles away. Due to COVID they eliminated some breaks and that's why they are finishing earlier than normal this semester. There are two scheduled days of classes followed by one day of no classes then finals. My daughter's professors have told her there will be no classes after Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    There are a few options at her school. Go home for Thanksgiving then come back, go home stay home and finally stay on campus during Thanksgiving. My daughter really enjoys being on campus with her friends. I'm sure she doesn't want to leave until Thanksgiving. However if she were to get sent to the isolation dorm again I'm sure she would want to leave campus immediately. The school requests anyone who lives less than 200 miles from campus to leave rather than isolating.

The school's schedule really makes leaving and not returning the best option for someone like her since we are 500 miles away. Due to COVID they eliminated some breaks and that's why they are finishing earlier than normal this semester. There are two scheduled days of classes followed by one day of no classes then finals. My daughter's professors have told her there will be no classes after Thanksgiving.
    Got it. That makes sense, then. All the places around here are ending in-person instruction after thanksgiving, but continuing the last couple of weeks via remote learning instead.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    My mom texted me this afternoon, and my dad tested COVID-positive today. Probably means that she'll get it too, if she's not already infected. Not worrying too much, but they are senior citizens now, though they don't have any major health issues. :sigh:

Sorry to hear that. Hope they both do ok.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Good luck to them. If there's anything I learned about people who didn't do well, they often stay at home for too long hoping that things turn around. Don't let them do that.
    I guess that applies to many illnesses but this one is just too new to offer specific guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    This is the kind of stuff that people need to know and understand is happening.

Honestly, not sure about it.

Deniers will not care, those of covid is a lesser evil position will accept all human losses from it and from healthcare overload, both groups doubting the veracity of data. Their right, and there's no point arguing.

The rest of the crowd, that's a more interesting question. Local news even today are reporting 75% ICU statewide bed utilization, as they have had for a couple of weeks, I have a hard time believing that they don't know that us, our main hospital, and the University are at full or over the capacity; some of that was made publicly known. Local press is underrepresenting the hospital situation, likely by adding numbers of ICU beds from small local facilities. So it seems like right now there is a concerted effort by local news to inform people who much covid we have but not let "the kind of stuff" known. I was scoffing at it at first but now I think it is probably an effort to prevent a panic.
    Last edited by YVK; 11-12-2020 at 12:26 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Good luck to them. If there's anything I learned about people who didn't do well, they often stay at home for too long hoping that things turn around. Don't let them do that.
    I guess that applies to many illnesses but this one is just too new to offer specific guidance.
    What are you seeing out of younger people (30ish)? My wife is getting tested tomorrow, shes 29 and I'm 30. She has no pre-existing conditions. I'm assuming if she has it, I'll get it, but I have no symptoms yet. Obviously much more worried about her than me.

The sucky thing is that we have essentially been quarantining/social distancing/mask wearing since March, but unfortunately she did have to go back to her office starting in late September and I'm assuming she could've been exposed there. It is rampant in my state.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    What are you seeing out of younger people (30ish)?
    I am personally not aware of anyone in that group that hasn't done well. Statewide I think our stats for group aged under 44 is inline with national data. We've a couple of ED docs, an ECHO tech, and an internist (people of that or close age) get it, no drama. Interestingly, none of them got it at work. I've one patient in that group who had, no physical drama either. I am very optimistic for you and your wife, regardless of test results.

"Biden COVID-19 adviser says US could manage pandemic with 4-6 week lockdown"

From the NY Post and an interview by Yahoo Finance with Dr. Michael Osterholm. Dr. Osterholm is member of Joe Biden’s coronavirus task force and the director of the Center for Infectious Disease & Policy at the University of Minnesota

Dr. Michael Osterholm floated the idea in an interview with Yahoo Finance, explaining that a four to six week lockdown that he believes could drive down infection numbers.

"Osterholm said the federal government is in a prime position to use borrowed money to pay for such a lockdown package.

“When you look at the personal savings rate in this country, it’s now gone from about 8 percent to over 22 percent,” Osterholm said. “We have a big pool of money out there that we could borrow.”

“We could pay for a package right now to cover all of the wages, lost wages for individual workers, for losses to small companies to medium sized companies,” and loses to lower levels of government, Osterholm said.

The Doctor points to countries in Asia and New Zealand and Australia have instituted similar lockdowns. . .

“Then, we could really watch ourselves cruising into the vaccine availability in the first and second quarter of next year and bringing back the economy long before that,” he said.

My commentary: WTF--Is this guy seriously suggesting that we have a lockdown and have the government borrow directly from the taxpayers to cover the costs?

I could write pages about what is wrong with his ideas. But I will save everyone's time.

I would trust this doctor to make national economic, business, and logistical decisions about as much as I would trust an economist to perform a colonoscopy.

A link to the article and a video of the interview:

https://nypost.com/2020/11/11/biden-...with-lockdown/

A link to the interview on video: https://twitter.com/zGuz/status/1326...699641856?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    "Biden COVID-19 adviser says US could manage pandemic with 4-6 week lockdown"

Just like I don't believe in "letting people decide what's right", I also don't believe in blanket federal lockdowns in a country size of ours anymore. I am no economist, epidemiologist or politician but I think if they did that, they would lose their chances for reelection in 2024 right there and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Dr. Michael Osterholm...is member of Joe Biden’s coronavirus task force and the director of the Center for Infectious Disease & Policy at the University of Minnesota.

...Osterholm said. “We have a big pool of money out there that we could borrow.”

Of yeah, that'll be sure to work.

And they'll be sure to pay it all back, too, I have no doubt at all.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List