Page 6 of 725 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    The fact that the Dow shed 100 points today in response to a second traveler being sick is the type of hysteria that I expect from a high school cheerleader slumber party - not the most powerful country in the world.
    I mean...it's hysteria, because the most powerful country in the world can't control its own borders...oh wait you meant the US as the most powerful country in the world...Okay Boomer.

Minnesota Dept of Health has two people in isolation that returned from China last week. Samples were sent to the CDC after they showed up at a hospital and triggered an alert.

People coughing and sneezing in public gives me the willies so this China thing creeps me the f#@k out. Giving serious debate about heading up north to spend the winter ice fishing and snowmobiling ride out the apocalypse in the middle of nowhere.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    The fact that the Dow shed 100 points today in response to a second traveler being sick is the type of hysteria that I expect from a high school cheerleader slumber party - not the most powerful country in the world.
    You died? More money for me. Unless you're a Chinese peasant. Then it's about the same.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I think that it’s a good practice for every healthcare provider to elicit a travel history in everyone with symptoms of a communicable disease - from EMT up to doctor. It’s part of the dog and pony show that I do for anyone with the respiratory crud, GI trots, or any unexplained fever.

However, there is no reason at this point to pay overtime setting up hospital response teams, making everyone in healthcare take PAPR training, causing death by PowerPoint for every public worker, or ordering expensive Respiratory Viral Panels on everyone with a fever and sniffles.

FWIW, my last shop spent close to $2M in Ebola-related BS 5 years ago. The fact that the Dow shed 100 points today in response to a second traveler being sick is the type of hysteria that I expect from a high school cheerleader slumber party - not the most powerful country in the world.
    Well, if you want a more optimistic take on that...you could always consider it this way: the market doesn't have to be a predictor (or even representative) of RATIONAL behaviour.

It could be correctly assessing that humans will irrationally react to this situation by placing obstacles to smooth and easy trade between Asia and America. As such, the market might drop a little not because the market is overreacting, but because it only has to reflect the actual conditions businesses face, which include human consumers and regulators who DO overreact.

So maybe the Dow is not being hysterical, but predicting hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The chinese are trying to isolate 40 million people, and are rushing to build a dedicated hospital with 1,000 beds in 10 days.
    When you consider they aren't building hospitals for the other 1.36 BILLION Chinese, it puts it in perspective. That's if it's actually true, which is probably unlikely.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    "Everybody was Kung Flu fighting..."

Too soon?

الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Deleted cant get link to work
    Last edited by UNK; 01-25-2020 at 11:41 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

This is not a reason to stock-up on ammo, short stocks, or put all of your assets in gold. If you were praying for a calamity to thin the urban heard ahead of the 2020 election, you’ll need to keep praying for the meteor.

However, rest assured that it will cost us hundreds of billions in terms of lost productivity, misallocated resources, and a general media-perpetuated hysteria.
    I'd like to add to that.

https://youtu.be/wFY1aSL7p_k
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-25-2020 at 12:04 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

coronavirus is people

There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List